follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 12-28-2016, 06:24 PM   #7701
riboyster

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
You guys are getting off topic...
Old 12-29-2016, 09:54 AM   #7702
Xero-Limit

Drives: JDL Turbo FRS, 335SC BRZ (ret)
Thanked 1,547 Times in 525 Posts
Mentioned: 380 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcarson11 View Post
As is mine. Mike's volume of work goes up and down at times. Mike did get me squared away, but also let me know what to expect in terms of response time. 48 hours might be practical when there isn't much going on, but I could understand a week or more during peak times.

See post #10 here:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80701
Thanks, our volume does vary but there are other things at work that we may not have control over as well (family, health, holidays etc...)

Phil is always here and he can direct when there is a more critical issue (i.e. car not starting) and we attend to it as fast as we can. There are also internet complications like email not getting through, or a followup flag getting lost between the 3 different computers we use to keep workflow going. We emphasize that people need to CALL when you don't get a response back through email after a while. Also, one BIG thing is that we have no way to assess your hardware or installation. But for some reason the tune is always the first thing to get blamed. If someone provides incorrect hardware information, has leaks in the plumbing, kit has specs that change from the last one we did, or has some other issue...we have no control over that. And if we provide a tune within 48 hours (our job is tuning, not remote troubleshooting) that does not mean we can address everyone's issues in the same timeframe. We are not entirely without fault because we do miss emails here and there, but we have historically provided advice and hardware support at no charge. However this should not be an expectation. If a customer cannot do their own install--then it needs to go to a shop and then they can get tuned there if they'd like. Or they can have the shop work with us. But it is unrealistic to always get a response about issues not related to our products or services. Forums and FB groups are great for those resources.

Another point we want to stress is most people save up for a while to get a FI kit, then wait for it to get to them, but then they expect the tune immediately. BUY THE TUNE FIRST! This allows us to schedule workflow and get you the tune ahead of time, then we know how many revisions we may have to do at a given time.

...now back on topic
Xero-Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Xero-Limit For This Useful Post:
ajcarson11 (12-29-2016), brybot (02-04-2017), gtengr (12-29-2016), new2subaru (12-29-2016), riboyster (12-29-2016), Teseo (12-29-2016)
Old 12-29-2016, 12:31 PM   #7703
brybot

Drives: 13 DGM BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
As is mine. Mike's volume of work goes up and down at times. Mike did get me squared away, but also let me know what to expect in terms of response time. 48 hours might be practical when there isn't much going on, but I could understand a week or more during peak times.

See post #10 here:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80701
Thanks for the link. Moto East has something similar on their support site or blog... I can't find it again for some reason.

I'm significantly less worried about tuning than I am why my car doesn't run however. I'll update here once I know.
brybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 01:12 PM   #7704
riboyster

Quote:
Originally Posted by brybot View Post
Thanks for the link. Moto East has something similar on their support site or blog... I can't find it again for some reason.

I'm significantly less worried about tuning than I am why my car doesn't run however. I'll update here once I know.
Maybe you could log an attempted start? Not sure if it's possible, but it'd probably give you a hint.
brybot (12-29-2016)
Old 12-29-2016, 09:12 PM   #7705
ajcarson11

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited (Black)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Hey guys, wanted to describe my situation more and see if anyone knows any remaining options I might have.

I installed the Sprintex 210 on my car last week, along with the Moto East Flex Fuel kit and 3" Perrin Big MAF CAI. The car was tuned with Moto East and I installed the ECUTek tune before starting it the 4 or 5 times last week. I also did a Perrin lightweight crank pulley, which I had problems with aligning correctly. Each time I started the car with the perrin pulley on, it had a decent wobble to it, even though I did align the pin. The car was extremely close to empty at that point. I left town for Christmas and there the car sat.

Got back last night, installed the stock crank pulley, and everything seemed to align properly, but the car wouldn't start. It cranks but does not turn over. I thought this was because it was out of fuel, so I put some E85 in it. I made sure the fuel pump primed a few times, power to the fuel pump was reconnected, and the fuel gauge was showing half a tank or so. Car still won't start. Disconnected the fuel lines right behind the injectors, both had some E85 in it. Still no start. Moto East saying it can't be the tune. I tend to agree with them not because I know a thing about tuning, but because it started last week with the tune on it.

Two local shops (Dallas) won't work on it, so it's being towed to a third who said they would.

If this shop can't help me, I truly don't know what to do aside from removing the flex fuel kit, trying again, then removing the blower, and trying again. After that it'd go to the dealer.

Anyone have any ideas?
My first idea: Disconnect one of the fuel rail connecting lines, stick a rag or bucket up around the fuel line, and turn on accessory mode (do not start car). You should hear the tank pump prime, and fuel should come out onto the rag. That'll at least let us know that fuel is getting into the rail. From there i'd make sure it is fairly warm in the area where you are attempting to start the car. Low temps with E85 can mean it takes several cranks to get going (especially if the tune is new).

You're pretty sure that all wiring is plugged back in, and that you've got the bolts all secured on everything (including the ECU mount)?

Just thinking outside the box here... My initial thought would be that it may take a while to get cold start going on E85.
ajcarson11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ajcarson11 For This Useful Post:
brybot (01-02-2017)
Old 01-02-2017, 10:13 PM   #7706
brybot

Drives: 13 DGM BRZ 6MT
Garage
Quote:
My first idea: Disconnect one of the fuel rail connecting lines, stick a rag or bucket up around the fuel line, and turn on accessory mode (do not start car). You should hear the tank pump prime, and fuel should come out onto the rag. That'll at least let us know that fuel is getting into the rail. From there i'd make sure it is fairly warm in the area where you are attempting to start the car. Low temps with E85 can mean it takes several cranks to get going (especially if the tune is new).

You're pretty sure that all wiring is plugged back in, and that you've got the bolts all secured on everything (including the ECU mount)?

Just thinking outside the box here... My initial thought would be that it may take a while to get cold start going on E85.
I really appreciate the attention here sir. I actually did confirm there was E85 in the lines after this started, so it shouldn't be fuel related.

Unfortunately it's been 60 - 80 F here, so temp can't be the issue.

I had the car towed to a shop, which refused to work on it due to the SC, then had it towed to a specialty shop which has been looking at it since. Still no word on what the issue is. Will update once it's confirmed.
brybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 10:22 PM   #7707
ajcarson11

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited (Black)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
I really appreciate the attention here sir. I actually did confirm there was E85 in the lines after this started, so it shouldn't be fuel related.

Unfortunately it's been 60 - 80 F here, so temp can't be the issue.

I had the car towed to a shop, which refused to work on it due to the SC, then had it towed to a specialty shop which has been looking at it since. Still no word on what the issue is. Will update once it's confirmed.
That's a bummer... Would seem like it must be something simple. Good luck!
ajcarson11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ajcarson11 For This Useful Post:
brybot (01-02-2017)
Old 01-02-2017, 10:39 PM   #7708
riboyster

Fuel air electricity.
Gotta be something upstream of your plugs.
brybot (01-02-2017)
Old 01-03-2017, 09:20 AM   #7709
chargedup

Drives: SC BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Copy/pasted from fb. Sry.
Ok. So some weird shit has been going on as of late. my SC maf bolt broke off a while ago so it's just plugged in and not too secure. I also have a boost tap on the maf that is capped off as my gauge took a shit. Car has always had the variable idle issue, and snapped the bolt holding a speed sensor on when putting my hub back together. Took to dealer to get rekeyed and now it's idling at 600 constantly and is in safe/limp mode. Usually I could reset the CEL and it would rev past 4K, but now to no avail. So throwing P0500 and U0073. Neither of which will clear completely and will come back. Car also will die randomly occasionally. Before I took it in I had a steering angle sensor code that turned off trac, airbags, and ABS after installing my wheel- but that's not showing now. Any ideas what I can do to get her running right?
Mods: Sprintex SC, Perrin intake, keys racing wheel, coils, catback, etc. PFA
chargedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 09:42 AM   #7710
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 4,137 Times in 1,707 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chargedup View Post
Any ideas what I can do to get her running right?
Get a better tune from @moto-mike
ATL BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 11:32 AM   #7711
riboyster

Fuck the tune. Work on priority problems first, starting with ignition so you don't blow your motor. Then move down to things that will void your safety.

The tune can come last, you won't break your car in limp.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:57 AM   #7712
Spartarus
...Just add nauseum

Drives: 2003 (AP1) S2000
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by riboyster View Post
Fuck the tune. Work on priority problems first, starting with ignition so you don't blow your motor. Then move down to things that will void your safety.

The tune can come last, you won't break your car in limp.

...EDIT: little too sarcastic... Little too mean...

That is a dangerously incorrect statement.

Quote:
Ok. So some weird shit has been going on as of late. my SC maf bolt broke off a while ago so it's just plugged in and not too secure. I also have a boost tap on the maf that is capped off as my gauge took a shit
Clarification: MAP, not MAF, sensor.

Quote:
throwing P0500 and U0073.
P0500: Vehicle speed sensor. What did you do with the ABS sensor after you broke the bolt?
U0073: CAN BUS off. This usually comes up when plugging in or unplugging an OBDII device while the car is running.

... I have a feeling that is going to turn into a fairly long troubleshooting process.

There are many ways to displace.

-Spartarus

Last edited by Spartarus; 01-03-2017 at 12:09 PM.
Spartarus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spartarus For This Useful Post:
riboyster (01-03-2017)
Old 01-03-2017, 07:00 PM   #7713
riboyster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartarus View Post

...EDIT: little too sarcastic... Little too mean...

That is a dangerously incorrect statement.
No mean intentions
He's just a long way from dealing with the tune. Also you're right about it being dangerously incorrect. Just assuming he doesn't go balls to the wall on the throttle with a botched car.
Spartarus (01-03-2017)
Old 01-03-2017, 11:55 PM   #7714
nmastereal

Drives: BRZ
Quote:
Ok. So some weird shit has been going on as of late. my SC maf bolt broke off a while ago so it's just plugged in and not too secure. I also have a boost tap on the maf that is capped off as my gauge took a shit. Car has always had the variable idle issue, and snapped the bolt holding a speed sensor on when putting my hub back together. Took to dealer to get rekeyed and now it's idling at 600 constantly and is in safe/limp mode. Usually I could reset the CEL and it would rev past 4K, but now to no avail. So throwing P0500 and U0073. Neither of which will clear completely and will come back. Car also will die randomly occasionally. Before I took it in I had a steering angle sensor code that turned off trac, airbags, and ABS after installing my wheel- but that's not showing now. Any ideas what I can do to get her running right?
Mods: Sprintex SC, Perrin intake, keys racing wheel, coils, catback, etc. PFA
If you broke your speed sensor when putting your hub back together, check the speed sensor and the tone ring on the back of the hub. You cannot drive the car with one of those 2 being broken or misaligned.

What does, taking it to the dealer to get rekeyed, have anything to do with your issues? I assume for rekey you meant to get new key fobs?

I would look at your clearly fudged up map plate or your abs sensor and tone ring.
nmastereal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nmastereal For This Useful Post:
riboyster (01-04-2017)

Tags
2 whp better than n/a e85, 2 whp? you're an idiot., 2screwsbetterthan0screw, 65 whp better than na e85, bspt fittings ftl, hate u all me no have sc, im just here for the tags, inorite!, it's no turbo but, only big numbers matter, screwyou, whine sexier than turbo, whines_more_than_your_gf, wts grey market butthurt.