follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 12-29-2020, 02:50 PM   #29
timurrrr

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,297 Times in 718 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
I think (hope?) the vast majority of the extra heat generated will be dealt with by the cooling system. I bet they are aware that some current owners (not me) are troubled by "high" oil temps of just over 270F at the track, I'd be surprised if the new car runs hotter oil temps at the track vs. current model, I bet it will run a bit cooler.
I'm sure Mazda is well aware that Miata owners are troubled by "high" oil temps too.
And yet even in the ND generation not only do they still have overheating problems,
they don't even have an oil temp sensor from the factory.

The reality is that we're talking about budget sport cars, not Porsches / McLarens.
Not to mention that car industry isn't having a good time in 2020,
so likely to cut costs when designing new vehicles.
timurrrr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 03:07 PM   #30
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,891 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timurrrr View Post
I'm sure Mazda is well aware that Miata owners are troubled by "high" oil temps too.
And yet even in the ND generation not only do they still have overheating problems,
they don't even have an oil temp sensor from the factory.
Quick search suggests that they *calculate* an estimated oil temp and cut power if it *thinks* oil temp is to high. Somebody said it would do this even when he measured oil temp at 245F (i.e. no problem in reality).

So it sounds like the ND "problem" isn't necessarily running to hot, but rather the cars brains *thinking* it's running too hot, maybe...

Anyway, no oil temp problems with my '17 BRZ as far as I'm concerned, and I'm not at all worried about it on the '22. We'll see!
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 03:22 PM   #31
timurrrr

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,297 Times in 718 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Quick search suggests that they *calculate* an estimated oil temp and cut power if it *thinks* oil temp is to high. Somebody said it would do this even when he measured oil temp at 245F (i.e. no problem in reality).

So it sounds like the ND "problem" isn't necessarily running to hot, but rather the cars brains *thinking* it's running too hot, maybe...
One would expect them to have installed an oil temp sensor by now
So yeah, I don't expect Subaru to all of a sudden come up with an engine that is
dramatically better than the previous one when it comes to cooling (or oiling, for that matter).

Quote:
Anyway, no oil temp problems with my '17 BRZ as far as I'm concerned
I've logged 280F+ oil at a track day with ~70F ambient temp on my '17 BRZ before I got an oil cooler.
After I installed an oil cooler: 235F and lower on hotter days.
Whether 280F+ oil is a problem or not is a religious question that has been discussed thousands of times on this forum
Even if it's not, I sleep a bit better now — that's for sure.
timurrrr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 03:34 PM   #32
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,891 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timurrrr View Post
One would expect them to have installed an oil temp sensor by now
My S2000 didn't have one, I drove the bejeezus out of it on the street and at the track and sold it still running strong at 240k miles. They're known to run ~270F at the track.

Quote:
So yeah, I don't expect Subaru to all of a sudden come up with an engine that is
dramatically better than the previous one when it comes to cooling (or oiling, for that matter).
Welp, as mentioned previously, the Forester coolant/oil heat exchanger reportedly cools as much as 15F (as little as zero, though depending on who's reporting). And I would bet there is additional capacity in the cooling system for the additional 20% displacement and torque and 11% power.

Quote:
I've logged 280F+ oil at a track day with ~70F ambient temp on my '17 BRZ before I got an oil cooler.
After I installed an oil cooler: 235F and lower on hotter days.
Whether 280F+ oil is a problem or not is a religious question that has been discussed thousands of times on this forum
Even if it's not, I sleep a bit better now — that's for sure.
Yea, for I walk with The Lord. He assures me that it is not for us to worry about synthetic 30 wt oil temperatures below 285F, or 40wt below 300F...

Reportedly some cars (C7 I think?) don't go into "limp-home" mode until 320F!
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote