follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 12-30-2020, 08:12 AM   #29
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,890 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by supercharged680 View Post
Their setting

F Compression 6
F Rebound 10
R Compression 6
R Rebound 8

My settings

F Compression 1
F Rebound 6
R Compression 2
R Rebound 6

I have had 7 tenths quicker in a mid 1 minute track on my settings.
7 tenths? Consistently? A-B-A testing? Might be good to try "blind" testing also.

The numbers you give are clicks out from all the way in (lower number = stiffer)? If bouncy, try increasing rebound damping and/or maybe decreasing compression damping.
How far are you from bump stops at static ride height?
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 12:22 PM   #30
Icecreamtruk

Drives: Track preped NA FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
From the video I have to agree with Mike. Very bouncy and pushy car. The bounce does not bother me as much as the understeer, but thats just me. It feels like a high spring rate car honestly. The main difference between this and the car on the SRC is probably the spring rate. I dont think you'll accomplish what you want with those rates. Im not an expert so I would listen to the more experienced people here. I did go from stock, to 6k, to 12k ratings over the course of my car's track life and while they are not the top of the cream, they do their job, and on harsh tracks, its bouncy but its still fast. Check this out at around 1:54, 12k spring rate, RE71R tires and medium aero (full kit, small size-mid size parts):

The car is bouncing because the track has some undulations there but I can still stay on full throttle on corner exit no problem. Furthermore, look at some of the prototypes and GT cars around sebring, they bounce, a lot.

I guess what im trying to say is that its not necessarily super bad that it bounces, in your case it seems a bit excessive yes, but dont try to completely get rid of it, try to make the car feel better/faster, which may mean dealing with some bouncing here and there.
Icecreamtruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 05:26 PM   #31
supercharged680

Drives: 2015 GT3 , 2018 BRZ , 2007 S2K
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecreamtruk View Post
From the video I have to agree with Mike. Very bouncy and pushy car. The bounce does not bother me as much as the understeer, but thats just me. It feels like a high spring rate car honestly. The main difference between this and the car on the SRC is probably the spring rate. I dont think you'll accomplish what you want with those rates. Im not an expert so I would listen to the more experienced people here. I did go from stock, to 6k, to 12k ratings over the course of my car's track life and while they are not the top of the cream, they do their job, and on harsh tracks, its bouncy but its still fast. Check this out at around 1:54, 12k spring rate, RE71R tires and medium aero (full kit, small size-mid size parts):

The car is bouncing because the track has some undulations there but I can still stay on full throttle on corner exit no problem. Furthermore, look at some of the prototypes and GT cars around sebring, they bounce, a lot.

I guess what im trying to say is that its not necessarily super bad that it bounces, in your case it seems a bit excessive yes, but dont try to completely get rid of it, try to make the car feel better/faster, which may mean dealing with some bouncing here and there.

Here is a video of me driving the GT86 CUP car with NT01 and Tein SRC

supercharged680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 09:59 AM   #32
M0nk3y

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS / Chevy Colorado
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Assuming you have bumpstops on your shocks?

Have you ever tried zip-tieing your shocks to see how much travel you're getting out of the shock itself?

Honestly, it looks like you're jacking the suspension down with high rebound/low compression setup and you're riding on bumpstops. But without knowing, well it's just a guess. Would explain the sudden change in dynamics as you're literally on bumpstops until the shock "unjacks" itself off of it
Kyle H. - #89 STX
M0nk3y is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M0nk3y For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (01-04-2021), Ohio Enthusiast (01-04-2021)