follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 11-13-2014, 05:32 PM   #1
ShutterSpeed

Drives: Olive Drab/Army FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Notching Rear Subframe

Back in May I broke my stock axles at the inner CV joint. The cradle snap and all the ball bearings fell out. Well instead of replacing it with a stock unit, i upgraded to the Driveshaft Shop Stage 2 axles. Rated for 650hp i figured they would be more than capable on my stock motor FRS.

Fast forward about 6 months. I'd just arrived in Houston for Wekfest Texas 2014 when i begin to hear the all too familiar axle clicking sound. After quick inspection i notice the two inner cv boots are ripped and all the grease has been flung out of them. My diagnosis is that the joints aren't lubricated enough so i pack in some grease for the long drive back to Louisiana.

Get it home and bring it over to my fabricator, Justin Rosen, at EFI Services in Harahan, LA. I figured while I was over there i would have him install the Powered By Max rear subframe risers and differential risers to help alleviate the angle the axles sit at after lowering the frs.

***Note If you plan on removing the rear subframe bushing to install these solid mounts, I'd suggest skipping the air chisel all together and breaking out the oxygen torch and burning them out. Granted the smell is toxic and bad for you, it worked 10 fold better than any other method.

We begin the teardown on the car and notice that this time it is the outboard CV joint on the DSS axle that is frozen solid. So I'd have to send it back to have them replace or warranty the part, luckily it was warrantied. They aren't cheap.

After installing the risers we noticed that the DSS axles would now hit the subframe right as they were exiting the diff. So out came the grinder and cutter. Justin originally thought that we could notch out a small chunk of the subframe but we later realized that we would have to take out a large portion of it and then weld in new 1/4" plating to reinforce it.

The DSS axle just came back from being serviced and the car should be back tomorrow, when I hope to update this post with how the axles sit now after the risers and notching. Enjoy the crazy, anxious process i went through to keep all the upgraded parts.

Ripped Inner CV Boot

Subframe Dropped

Torching Stock Bushings Out

Clean Bushing Hole

Diff Dropped Out

Welding In PBM Solid Diff Mounts

Raw Finished Result

Front Diff Risers Installed

Notching Process Begins with some Grinding

Initial Subframe Notches

More Grinding

The New Size of the Hole

Sanding to Bare Metal

Ready for Filler Plates

Mocking Up Floor Plate

Floor Plate TIG'd In

After the Sides were Welded In

Comparison

Both Welded In

Notch Back on the Car

PBM Solid Diff Mounts Installed on the Car

Waiting to pick the car up from the shop tomorrow and then I will post pictures of how well the axles sit after being raised and a review on the NVH of the whole setup.

Picture for Reference
Moto-P (05-26-2017), OmarGC (11-13-2014), THA STI GUY (08-26-2015), Wally86 (06-11-2020)
Old 11-13-2014, 08:32 PM   #2
puma
crew chief

Drives: Race car FR-S
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
nice, thanks for sharing, i installed the same bushings (or lack of bushings) but didn't need to notch the subframe as our axles are stock.

Have you had a problem with the driveshaft? we installed an aluminum driveshaft at the same time and it was too big, it would hit the transmission tunnel and fuel tank, had to lower the diff a little.
puma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to puma For This Useful Post:
Moto-P (05-26-2017)
Old 11-14-2014, 12:29 AM   #3
ShutterSpeed

The driveshaft sits about a half inch away from everything. It'll be interesting to see what happens. Haven't driven the car yet.
Moto-P (05-26-2017)
Old 11-16-2014, 03:42 PM   #4
ShutterSpeed

Driving Impressions:

Car feels solid. The power feels like it is making to the ground much better now with the solid rear end. The noise and vibration is much less than i thought it would be. There is a whine from the solid diff mounts during acceleration, most notable in higher gears 4-6, but is noticeable in lower gears. The exhaust is just louder than the whine.

Overall i am very happy with the risers and notched subframe. Was definitely worth going the extra mile to do it right. The clearance of the driveshaft and the tunnel is very minimal so i do not believe that a one piece driveshaft from DSS will be possible.
Old 11-16-2014, 04:30 PM   #5
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I'm surprised they didn't use any gussets where the frame was notched.
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calum For This Useful Post:
wparsons (11-16-2014), ZDan (06-11-2020)
Old 11-16-2014, 05:22 PM   #6
Thorpedo
The SquadWhisperer

Drives: '13 Ultramarine FR-S (STX)
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Agreed with Calum. While it might not make any difference whatsoever, they severely weakened that in a few ways. Not bashing their work, I hope for your sake there aren't stresses that will make it matter. Keep us updated and TBH I would check it fairly often for deformation/cracking.

Beautiful car BTW.