follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 08-01-2019, 12:29 AM   #5055
mistople

Drives: 2017 BRZ (Sold), 2023 GR86
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Has anyone experienced a repetitive surging effect at partial throttle & low rpms?

My C30-powered car seems to occasionally buck/hiccup/surge under mild load. It typically happens when I'm going up moderate inclines in 2nd or 3rd gear around 2-4k. It almost feels like I'm quickly lifting off and pressing the gas repeatedly. I haven't had issues at mid to full throttle from what I can tell.

I've reached out to DT with my log but I wanted to ask here as well in case it sounds like a common tune or install related issue.
mistople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 01:19 PM   #5056
sroby

Drives: 2015 Firestorm 08/05/15
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
No common, it sounds like it definitely is in the tune. If
it idles correctly, no chk lights, runs out good on bottom end and top end. Sounds like something isn’t correct in the mid range. Hope that helps
sroby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sroby For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (08-02-2019)
Old 08-01-2019, 02:21 PM   #5057
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,004 Times in 1,452 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Agree tune related. I had this issue but was fixed during the revision process

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jflogerzi For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (08-02-2019)
Old 08-02-2019, 11:20 AM   #5058
peaches

Drives: '14 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Following Mike's advice, I did not track the car and it's currently being re-tuned. I was out of town for work and only just got to drive it, holy crap the difference it night and day. Definitively had a crap tune before, now I can really feel the JRSC working. Still need some revisions and dial in the flex fuel but I'm extremely happy. Now I truly know what all the fuzz is about.
peaches is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to peaches For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (08-02-2019)
Old 08-02-2019, 12:34 PM   #5059
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,004 Times in 1,452 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaches View Post
Following Mike's advice, I did not track the car and it's currently being re-tuned. I was out of town for work and only just got to drive it, holy crap the difference it night and day. Definitively had a crap tune before, now I can really feel the JRSC working. Still need some revisions and dial in the flex fuel but I'm extremely happy. Now I truly know what all the fuzz is about.
Who was your tuner before?

2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 01:19 PM   #5060
peaches

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflogerzi View Post
Who was your tuner before?

Olympic Motorsports in Margate, FL. He is listed as a master tuner and has good reviews online, Circuit Motorsports in Orlando did my NA tune but they never returned my emails or calls about tuning the SC.

Currently dealing with DT, compliments of my girlfriend who started the process while I was away for work.
Old 08-02-2019, 08:16 PM   #5061
mistople

Quote:
Originally Posted by sroby View Post
No common, it sounds like it definitely is in the tune. If
it idles correctly, no chk lights, runs out good on bottom end and top end. Sounds like something isn’t correct in the mid range. Hope that helps
Yeah it runs great and pulls hard. Just very occasionally has that strange hiccup under light throttle.

DT isn't as fast to respond these days. Hopefully I can get an answer soon.
Old 08-03-2019, 02:49 AM   #5062
Kalamakid

Drives: 2014 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistople View Post
Yeah it runs great and pulls hard. Just very occasionally has that strange hiccup under light throttle.

DT isn't as fast to respond these days. Hopefully I can get an answer soon.
I’ve been having the same issue. Thought it might be the recirculating valve. But maybe not. Started after I updated my tune with DT about 6 months ago. Any time I’m in second gear and pressing the gas lightly it slams/bucks from 2-5k rpms. Only way to get out of it is the press the gas or shift up. It’ll do it a bit in first gear as well but not as bad and 3rd has no issues. Makes driving in 30MPH zones weird as I’ve had to learn to get out of the “bucking” situation by feathering the gas. Didn’t think it could be the tune. Guess I’ll log it and see if they can help. FYI I have the c-38 tuned by Zach at DT.
Kalamakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 05:17 PM   #5063
teetsdownlow

Drives: 2015 FRS
Had the same problem with the stock tune. Unsure what it was or why it acted like that. Others seem to run flawless on stock file. But I reached out to DT and decided to run a flexfuel kit alongside a new fng tune to sort it out. No revisions on my tune and the bucking went away. Seems like a compressor surge to me. Could be a maf problem, tune problem, or the recirc valve is backwards
teetsdownlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 06:29 PM   #5064
vfrqqq
Ultra Senior Member

Drives: 2014 BRZ Premium, WRB
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalamakid View Post
I’ve been having the same issue. Thought it might be the recirculating valve. But maybe not. Started after I updated my tune with DT about 6 months ago. Any time I’m in second gear and pressing the gas lightly it slams/bucks from 2-5k rpms. Only way to get out of it is the press the gas or shift up. It’ll do it a bit in first gear as well but not as bad and 3rd has no issues. Makes driving in 30MPH zones weird as I’ve had to learn to get out of the “bucking” situation by feathering the gas. Didn’t think it could be the tune. Guess I’ll log it and see if they can help. FYI I have the c-38 tuned by Zach at DT.
I think I had a similar experience to you. Eventually got a P0172 code. After cleaning the MAF sensor and clearing the codes, it was back to normal. I tend to think this is maybe due to what seems to be a heavily oiled air intake filter, but I couldn't say for sure. This happened to me after about 1500 miles of use. Haven't had it happen since and I'm now around 3500 miles. To the extent that I still have lazy throttle response at lower RPM, I am going to try using a different recirculation valve as some others have done here, and see how that feels.
vfrqqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 11:20 AM   #5065
steved

Drives: 2013 FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by steved View Post
Anyone running the Verus brake duct kit with the JRSC kit? With the smaller wiper reservoir and the IC tubing I'm trying to remember how much space was left in there for brake duct tubing.
Just wanted to follow up; the duct kit will not fit with the supplied JR washer fluid reservoir/bracket. Looking at the perrin mount location it actually makes sense the JR one wouldn't fit, but I figured it out the hard way
steved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 11:54 AM   #5066
steved

Drives: 2013 FRS
Track day overheating.

Setup:
2013 FRS
JRSC factory tune
JR dual radiator/oil cooler kit
Stock bumper/etc
OEM coolant (new)
Mobile1 5w30

Constraints:
No availability of E85

First time running JRSC at the track yesterday at Mission raceway near Vancouver. If anyone is familiar with the track its very tight and pretty short, front straight top speed with my setup was about 145km/h, and there are 3 straight sections. Track is known for being really hard on brakes, so you can probably imagine lots of running out the gears in 2/3 between the corners which means a lot of engine heat.

I threw a CEL after about 4 laps when ambient temperature was 29C (84F), coolant temperature sensor low voltage. My coolant temperature was pushing 250F+, and my oil temperature was pushing 270F. In follow up sessions I could get in 2 laps pushing pretty hard before oil temps would get closer to 260, and I'd have to manage heat by short shifting and not running WOT. Bit of a bummer to be honest.

Last session of the day I turned the heat on full and vented it out the passenger side, and my coolant temp didn't go above 240. I was able to run a full session like that, but I'm obviously uncomfortable with this amount of heat.

As an observation; a new Civic type R was also having heat issues, but that's nothing new. None of the other factory turbo'd cars at the track were doing limpy laps other than an STI.

I *thought* the dual radiator kit would work well but I'm wondering if it was a mistake to purchase it instead of the standalone oil cooler.

I'm looking for any ideas on how to reduce engine oil and coolant temps. I've thought about:
- venting the hood, but I'm trying to keep the car pretty low key exterior wise, and I'm doubtful it would make a big enough difference to be worth it
- changing coolant
- switching to a JR standalone oil cooler
- wrapping the stock header, not sure if this is even possible? I haven't looked at it yet, but usually oem headers don't have a lot of clearance for wrapping. I still have the oem heatshield so it would have to come off - not sure what decrease in temp I'd get

Overall I feel that there likely isn't one solution here and its probably going to be a combination of multiple fixes to get the temperature down, I'd also like some feedback if I'm going to put a ton of effort/time/money into trying to solve this issue and it might not actually be solvable.
steved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 01:32 PM   #5067
mistople

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved View Post
Setup:

I threw a CEL after about 4 laps when ambient temperature was 29C (84F), coolant temperature sensor low voltage. My coolant temperature was pushing 250F+, and my oil temperature was pushing 270F. In follow up sessions I could get in 2 laps pushing pretty hard before oil temps would get closer to 260, and I'd have to manage heat by short shifting and not running WOT. Bit of a bummer to be honest.

Last session of the day I turned the heat on full and vented it out the passenger side, and my coolant temp didn't go above 240. I was able to run a full session like that, but I'm obviously uncomfortable with this amount of heat.

As an observation; a new Civic type R was also having heat issues, but that's nothing new. None of the other factory turbo'd cars at the track were doing limpy laps other than an STI.

I *thought* the dual radiator kit would work well but I'm wondering if it was a mistake to purchase it instead of the standalone oil cooler.

I'm looking for any ideas on how to reduce engine oil and coolant temps. I've thought about:
- venting the hood, but I'm trying to keep the car pretty low key exterior wise, and I'm doubtful it would make a big enough difference to be worth it
- changing coolant
- switching to a JR standalone oil cooler
- wrapping the stock header, not sure if this is even possible? I haven't looked at it yet, but usually oem headers don't have a lot of clearance for wrapping. I still have the oem heatshield so it would have to come off - not sure what decrease in temp I'd get

Overall I feel that there likely isn't one solution here and its probably going to be a combination of multiple fixes to get the temperature down, I'd also like some feedback if I'm going to put a ton of effort/time/money into trying to solve this issue and it might not actually be solvable.
I'm also dealing with very high oil and coolant temps. I'm running the dedicated JR oil cooler with the setup integrated with the intercooler and rotrex cooler.

I saw 262F oil temps during a similarly hot track day this weekend. Really frustrating as I though I'd be rock solid in terms of heat management.
Old 08-06-2019, 02:16 PM   #5068
peaches

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistople View Post
I'm also dealing with very high oil and coolant temps. I'm running the dedicated JR oil cooler with the setup integrated with the intercooler and rotrex cooler.

I saw 262F oil temps during a similarly hot track day this weekend. Really frustrating as I though I'd be rock solid in terms of heat management.
When I was NA I had a stock radiator and a Perrin oil cooler, tracks temps hovered in the 260 range so from my point of view, those temps while FI are not that bad.

Now I have the JR dual cooler, will be on track Labor Day weekend so we'll see how that goes.