follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA

AUSTRALIA Australia and New Zealand

User Tag List

Old 04-12-2019, 01:26 AM   #15
vts4gts

Drives: White 86 gts at
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Got the recall notice in early Feb. Rang the dealer I got the car from, they couldn't do it til mid May. So rang the dealer closest to work, they booked me in for mid March with a loan car. At the time I took mine in they had done 5 others so a bit of practice. I have just clicked over 900km since with no problems, did have a slight burning smell for a couple of days (wasn't an oil smell) but went away. I replaced the oil and filter yesterday so will see how it we go
sorry Fud this was done in Sydney
vts4gts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vts4gts For This Useful Post:
fuddbutter (04-14-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 01:03 AM   #16
Bodalenko
Steve Bodalenko

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuddbutter View Post
That's reassuring!
Which dealer did you go to?

Hopefully they have more plugs when i need to go, if they don't, ill find somewhere to get some from so they can do them!

Essendon Fields. Bought the car from Anthony Smith is Sydney Road, Coburg but their care level was zero.

Yeah the plug issue was just ridiculous..
Bodalenko is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bodalenko For This Useful Post:
fuddbutter (04-16-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 07:12 PM   #17
fuddbutter
Potato Farmer

Drives: #SLOBRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodalenko View Post
Essendon Fields. Bought the car from Anthony Smith is Sydney Road, Coburg but their care level was zero.

Yeah the plug issue was just ridiculous..
Good to hear, I am booked in with them, might ring them today to check they have plugs lined up!
Old 04-16-2019, 07:28 PM   #18
alan.chalkley

Drives: 4wd zooks
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
There was one recall completed at a toyota dealer in sydney with no issues 1200km after recall.
So i only need to know about 9 others here before i build up the courage to take my brz in.
alan.chalkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 11:07 PM   #19
Bodalenko
Steve Bodalenko

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan.chalkley View Post
So i only need to know about 9 others here before i build up the courage to take my brz in.
I'd be less concerned about dealing with a Subaru dealer than a Toyota. Subaru dealers deal with rebuilding boxer engines daily or at least weekly and the FA20 is used on multiple models in the Subaru range.

Mine's hit 700k's after recall and no issues. Have changed the oil filter at 500k's and will change both oil and filter after my Harrop install 0n 6/5 at, if my calculations are correct,1000k's give or take after the recall.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:51 PM   #20
fuddbutter
Potato Farmer

My car is at Subaru.

I am scared.

Dude who served me "we will give you a buzz if there is any oil leaks that need to be fixed"... seriously dude? have a look at my car, does it look like it would have leaks?
Old 04-28-2019, 10:56 PM   #21
fuddbutter
Potato Farmer

I am going to miss you.. was lovely having a working car!

Old 05-01-2019, 06:08 PM   #22
fuddbutter
Potato Farmer

Car is back, few little issues, not so much with the valve spring part, but with what else they have done
Wiped my tune, replaced fluids they were asked not to do (lease company wanted them to do the full 120k service)

Can anyone who has had the work done confirm if the engine oil was replaced at the time the valve springs were done?
Old 05-03-2019, 05:04 AM   #23
Bodalenko
Steve Bodalenko

Quote:
Wiped my tune, replaced fluids they were asked not to do (lease company wanted them to do the full 120k service)

Can anyone who has had the work done confirm if the engine oil was replaced at the time the valve springs were done?
Oil replaced yes BUT not oil filter in my case which is ridiculous! I replaced mine when I got it home and again at 500k's and will do it again at at 1000k's. Hoping they will catch any foreign material before it became an issue.

Never touched my OFT tune at all. Weird and puzzling why Subaru would ned to update the tune yet Toyota didn't.

What they did or didn't do is attach the pass side cam angle sensor connector properly or they dislodged a pin in the connector. resulted in a CEL at 957k's and 6 wasted hours at the dealership getting it investigated and sorted. FOC naturally given they admitted it probably happened when engine was being reassembled. Strangely car seems to be idling smoother than it was pre recall. Did feel a little rougher when initially got it back after recall.

Minor issue but worrying given this f**king recall. The first sign of trouble, even if it's probably not related to the recall, and you go in to panic mode!

Have you noticed any change in engine characteristics after spring job? Mine definitely felt a bit more responsive.

Last edited by Bodalenko; 05-20-2019 at 10:36 AM.
Old 05-06-2019, 03:01 AM   #24
BMJ76

Drives: Sonic Blue GTS MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hi all,

My engine oil and filter were replaced while my car had its recall done. I've done approx 1000km since and had no issues. Feels the same as it did before. My dealership is a small country dealer (Callide Valley Toyota) and I believe my car was the second one done.
BMJ76 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BMJ76 For This Useful Post:
fuddbutter (05-14-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 09:38 PM   #25
ZZT86

Drives: BR86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Car is back, few little issues, not so much with the valve spring part, but with what else they have done

Hey Fudd,

They wiped your tune - can you elaborate ? Did they re-flash latest revision of stock to your car ? What did you have before & how have you overcome it? I have an outstanding issue with mine & Shiv is slow to react with assistance.

PM me if you want.

Cheers

ps: engine oil must be replaced, filter not - as was the case with mine. I have since replaced the oil filter after a few hundred kms.
ZZT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 03:53 AM   #26
alan.chalkley

Drives: 4wd zooks
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Yesterday i received my second letter from subaru , and it tells me that they now have the tools,parts and technicians to replace the valve springs.
But they still don't have my confidence!
The last guy i spoke with , had the recall done by toyota and now is trying to sell his 86.
alan.chalkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 05:19 AM   #27
ZZT86

Drives: BR86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
My car was done almost a month ago & done approx 1100kms as a weekender. Seems fine at this stage, won't give it the nod until it's done about 2500kms.
ZZT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 08:10 AM   #28
Dirty Harry

Drives: 2013 BRZ Satin White Pearl
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I got the recall letter the other day and contacted them about the engine failures after the recall. I also wondered whether you had to run the engine in/take it easy for a bit, apparently not according to them. I’d be reluctant to gun it straight after the fix. No warranty after the fix worries me as well. Anyone thought about not doing the recall? See their response below, names have been changed to protect the guilty.

Dear Dirty Harry,

Thank you for contacting Subaru Australia.

As you are aware the Valve spring recall is a Precautionary Recall, recalls are performed as a precautionary measure to prevent a potential failure from occurring, which does not automatically mean that your particular vehicle is faulty or that these circumstances would actually occur within the vehicles lifetime.

The probability of a concern developing in vehicles affected by the Valve Spring recall is approximately 0.03%. This recall is voluntary

We can confirm that this recall involves the valve springs being replaced and have had no reported incidents of the engine failures after the recall has been performed.

There will be no written warranty once the recall has been completed and the engine will not need to be broken in as the vehicle still has its original engine and the valve spring is only a small component that will be replaced.

If you wish to participate in this voluntary recall, please contact your preferred Subaru dealership directly to arrange a suitable booking date.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to contact us.

Kind Regards,

Ned Kelly
Recall Case Manager
Dirty Harry is offline   Reply With Quote