follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 11-05-2020, 07:17 PM   #1
Phdpsy

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How many separate tunes can be stored

Hello everyone. Just purchased a 2015 FR-S that the original owner had tuned at DD performance Research in TX using EcoTek. Excuse the newbie question, but this is my first journey into this platform. The car has an AVO turbo kit and a few other mods. It has a flexfuel set-up and, as I understand it, the primary tune that was done will automatically monitor fuel mixture and adjust parameters as needed from 93 to full E85. There is a second tune you can select via the cruise stalk that is for rare use only with straight E85. I'll likely never use it since in Alabama the closest E85 fuel is 110 miles away (yes, that stinks).

What I was wondering is:
1- Can more than the two current tunes/maps be added to the system?

My 335i had 4 tunes I could rotate through. I'd like to get a little more conservative 93 oct tune for use either in autocross or HPDE weekends. The current tune brings on boost so quickly and abruptly that it is going to be very difficult to get power down coming out of turns. Even small inputs seem to bring about quick changes that want to immediately kick out the rear and have the nannies kicking in abruptly. I'm 55 and have nothing to prove on a track. I'm am just wanting something on the track that is more mild/predictable so that I just take the time to relax and learn the nuances of the car.

2- Can this be done remotely and can it be set up for a lower boost?

I'm 8-9 hours from DD and close to that from most other experienced EcuTek tuners I pull up. I know it would not be as finely tuned as if it were done on the dyno, But this is a familiar enough platform that it seems like experienced folks would be able to get something pretty good.

I have emailed DD Performance Research, but have not received a reply as of yet. Thought I'd tap into the knowledge base here to see if these are things that can be done.

Thanks guys
Old 11-05-2020, 10:57 PM   #2
anticubus

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phdpsy View Post
Hello everyone. Just purchased a 2015 FR-S that the original owner had tuned at DD performance Research in TX using EcoTek. Excuse the newbie question, but this is my first journey into this platform. The car has an AVO turbo kit and a few other mods. It has a flexfuel set-up and, as I understand it, the primary tune that was done will automatically monitor fuel mixture and adjust parameters as needed from 93 to full E85. There is a second tune you can select via the cruise stalk that is for rare use only with straight E85. I'll likely never use it since in Alabama the closest E85 fuel is 110 miles away (yes, that stinks).

What I was wondering is:
1- Can more than the two current tunes/maps be added to the system?

My 335i had 4 tunes I could rotate through. I'd like to get a little more conservative 93 oct tune for use either in autocross or HPDE weekends. The current tune brings on boost so quickly and abruptly that it is going to be very difficult to get power down coming out of turns. Even small inputs seem to bring about quick changes that want to immediately kick out the rear and have the nannies kicking in abruptly. I'm 55 and have nothing to prove on a track. I'm am just wanting something on the track that is more mild/predictable so that I just take the time to relax and learn the nuances of the car.

2- Can this be done remotely and can it be set up for a lower boost?

I'm 8-9 hours from DD and close to that from most other experienced EcuTek tuners I pull up. I know it would not be as finely tuned as if it were done on the dyno, But this is a familiar enough platform that it seems like experienced folks would be able to get something pretty good.

I have emailed DD Performance Research, but have not received a reply as of yet. Thought I'd tap into the knowledge base here to see if these are things that can be done.

Thanks guys
The Avo kit is really nice and DD should be able to help you out with a new tune. You won't be able to get a dyno tune, but you should be able to get updates remotely. Usually you can have up to 4 maps selectable. If the goal is to trim the powerband then they can pretty much do anything.

What tires are you running? Stock or close to stock sizings aren't going to have much contact patch even for conservative turbo tunes on grippy tires. 235 is pretty much the minimum.
anticubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 11:05 AM   #3
Phdpsy

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
225/45/17 Re-11Rs on the stock wheels at the present time. In the future, I'll be moving to a different wheel tire combo, but not in the immediate future as I want to get more familiar with the car.

Thanks for the response on the tunes. I haven't heard back from them, but I'm at work so it is harder to call them directly until Monday.
Old 11-19-2020, 09:25 AM   #4
Matt93SE

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Just a note about DDPR.. Dave is REALLY busy at present with both work and personal stuff. I live in Houston area and have been trying to get my car into his shop for an in-person retune since September. Last time I talked to him, we're looking sometime around mid-December before he even has room in his shop to get my car in.

So Dave isn't intentionally ignoring you, he is just flooded with work. You might try giving him a phone call since he is usually good about answering.

Also, work on getting more (and better) tire under the car. 225s with be easily overwhelmed with decent power. I'd look at at least a 9" wheel with some 245s or wider.
Matt93SE is offline   Reply With Quote