follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 11-27-2022, 05:10 AM   #1
Compelica

Drives: 86 GT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Window railing (?) touching speaker shroud

Is the rubber portion supposed to stick out like this in the picture below?

This is right behind the driver front door speaker (RHD) and the speaker shroud - the extended edge that prevents water from getting in contact with the speaker - touches the rubber piece when the rear suspension hits a bump, creating a knocking/clunking sound.

Not exactly sure how that exactly happens as it's not entirely visible, but the sound goes away when the speaker is removed. Am thinking of wrapping that thing with a sponge or either stick some sponge on the shroud itself.

Sound of the clunking in the link below.
https://youtube.com/shorts/hmh2DTchhXE?feature=share

Last edited by Compelica; 11-30-2022 at 08:11 AM.
Compelica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 08:16 AM   #2
Compelica

Been chasing this for weeks to no avail. Recently layered EPDM foam sheets on the speaker shroud on where that window railing object would likely contact - worked when the door card was off but would come back once I reinstalled the cards.

The clunking sounds extremely loose, as if a rubber ball was suspended in the door cards via a string.

Drove the car with the door card removed - sound is still there.
Driven with the card removed and speaker removed - no sound.

In a few days I'll drive around with the door card attached and with the door switch / speakers removed to see if I could pinpoint the noise down to anything.

What's even more surprising is that I've torn down the dashboard and door countless times trying to isolate the problem yet I still have the patience...
Old 11-30-2022, 09:39 PM   #3
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
i don't think the problem is in the window track.

to answer your original question, yes, that rubber molding is where it should be. this is my 2014 brz, within the first 3 months of when i bought it.

Old 12-04-2022, 02:43 PM   #4
Compelica

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
i don't think the problem is in the window track.

to answer your original question, yes, that rubber molding is where it should be. this is my 2014 brz, within the first 3 months of when i bought it.

Thanks for this - it's been raining here a lot recently so I've yet to try something new, but my next probable guess is due to the window mechanism as that sound has persisted when driving with the door cards off.

Also will need to watch teardowns to find there's anything that could possibly get loose in that said mechanism.

Tried giving the windows a firm shake but it's solid. Also makes no difference if the windows are down or up, or midway moving - the sound still comes out.