follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 12-04-2022, 02:46 PM   #1
cnorman

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Body Repair Questions

My 2013 brz was rear ended about 10 months ago. The car has been taken to shops 4 times now for repairs. The fist shop got 3 attempts to fix it but even after the 3rd attempt the paint was off, body panels were terrible, parts replaced under the body were not painted, trunk didn’t open or close properly, the trunk lid sat a lot higher on one side, the bumper was forcefully bolted on damaging the bumper, lots of parts were used parts, glass all over the inside of the car, oh and the trunk would turn into a pool when it rained. The car is at a different shop now but looking at the reviews post my car being taken there I don’t have very high hopes. Just wondering what I should do if I these issues are still present after I get it back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cnorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 03:37 PM   #2
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
is this through insurance?
Old 12-04-2022, 04:14 PM   #3
cnorman

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cnorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 04:37 PM   #4
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
insurance shouldn't be using used parts. they normally reserve the right to use non-oem parts, or remanufactured parts, but not normally used parts.

you also have the right to insist on having the vehicle repaired anywhere, regardless of whether the insurance recommends the body shop or not. so if you're suspicious, you can demand to have it taken to a shop of your preference.

you can also insist on using oem parts for the repair. the only thing reproduction parts or remanufactured parts do is lower the cost to the insurance company.

sounds like you really need to have a long talk with the insurance companies adjuster that you're dealing with about the shop, the parts used, and the quality of work.

when my last vehicle was wrecked but repairable, everyone told me to demand oem parts. i didn't. i let them go through the entire process because the adjuster assured me everything would be like-oem fit. it wasn't close. 1/8" gaps became 1/2-1" gaps. a straight plastic bumper suddenly had waves in it. i made insurance replace all of it on their dime after noting all the different fit issues.
NoHaveMSG (12-05-2022), x808drifter (12-06-2022)
Old 12-05-2022, 09:57 AM   #5
spcmafia

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Thanked 4,144 Times in 1,989 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
During my time working with a rental company, I did see that multiple insurance companies can opt to get used parts or non OEM, hence lower quality parts, a lot o the times customers were unaware of these changes. I'm surprised that for the amount of work that the vehicle required initially, the insurance company didn't just considered a T.L. But is besides the question.

If they raise your premium because of the constant re-work, drop them.

Absolutely find a shop that you trust, and put forth your requirements to the adjustor. You pay the money every month, you get to pick. If they decide to drop you, is not like there are a multitude of other companies out there.