follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 12-05-2021, 10:20 PM   #1
kiefferlmeridew

Drives: 2013 BRZ Sport-Tech
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Unhappy Window Scratches

Good evening everyone! I'm new to the forum, so please gime me a bit of leeway lol

Not sure if there's a thread already for what I'm wondering about but here it goes!

I have a 2013 BRZ, with the usual window scratches. I've heard that it's the guides getting crap all over them and causing it. Going to try and buff them out with cerium oxide tomorrow, as they aren't that bad. However, the question I am wondering is if anyone is rocking just the inner guides, and removed the outer. I've read that if you get the post 2013 weather stripping /guide for the door it can help drastically with the repeat scratching from occurring, but would love to hear some stories and things that have worked for everyone!

Thanks for letting me be part of this community! Super excited and loving my baby BRZ already!

Much love from Canada!

kiefferlmeridew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 11:04 PM   #2
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
You might look into taking apart your door and trying to clean out the junk in your windows, and maybe find a clean window from a wrecker.

First I'd probably need to check to make sure you're using a proper polisher like a Rupes, or a G110, or a Torqx. A 3" backing plate. A quality polishing compound product like Ceriglass and not some alibaba cerium oxide, and the Carpro 3" rayon polishing pads. I say this because some of you guys seem ready to jump into a detail with some garbage you picked up from ebay or harbor freight, frightening. If you just ordered a bucket of brown cerium oxide powder, please stop right there.

I would be very careful with Ceriglass on these cars. Ceriglass is some nasty polishing stuff, very messy and slings everywhere (you'll want to tape off and cover everything) and rayon pads are very rough.. and Subaru BRZ / modern car glass is very soft.

I've used Carpro's Ceriglass and Carpro Ryon glass polishing pads only on the front windshield of my older 90's Toyota Camry. After a few passes with my DA buffer it fixed a lot of lateral or cobweb scratches that were caused by sand debris caught between the wiper and the glass. It would be important to note though, that modern car glass is softer than 90's car glass and so you might be careful to not work it too aggressively, but enough to break down the abrasive material.

Last edited by radroach; 12-05-2021 at 11:19 PM.
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 01:48 PM   #3
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,673 Times in 993 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
I took my car to the dealer a month before the warranty ran out and got them to replace the windows, guide rails and weather stripping. Got rid of the scratches but I can see the lines on the windows and can tell it's only a matter of time until it happens again, so I don't think the post-2013 guides are any better. I just consciously roll the window down a lot less now, especially if it's dirty. Shouldn't be driving with windows down anyway due to all the brake dust and rubber crap you're breathing in
Old 11-21-2022, 03:29 PM   #4
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,469 Times in 18,894 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Window mechanism is very sensitive to adjustment. I noticed mine binding right away. Took many attempts to find the sweet spot but worth it. No scratches after eight years.
Old 11-21-2022, 07:14 PM   #5
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,094 Times in 2,044 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Window mechanism is very sensitive to adjustment. I noticed mine binding right away. Took many attempts to find the sweet spot but worth it. No scratches after eight years.
This was one of the first things I did with mine when I fixed door rattles. After years of frameless subaru doors, I knew it'd be a thing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (11-21-2022), x808drifter (11-23-2022)
Old 11-21-2022, 10:03 PM   #6
SCFD

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanadaEh View Post
I took my car to the dealer a month before the warranty ran out and got them to replace the windows, guide rails and weather stripping. Got rid of the scratches but I can see the lines on the windows and can tell it's only a matter of time until it happens again, so I don't think the post-2013 guides are any better. I just consciously roll the window down a lot less now, especially if it's dirty. Shouldn't be driving with windows down anyway due to all the brake dust and rubber crap you're breathing in

How did you get it covered under warranty? I figured those would be considered normal wear items?
SCFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 10:41 PM   #7
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
This was one of the first things I did with mine when I fixed door rattles. After years of frameless subaru doors, I knew it'd be a thing.
Was my first. Holy kinematics, Batman! Each adjustment affects all the others.

Those felt pads are bullshit. Every time I handle one, I fantasize about creating a spring-loaded roller. I get it, though. Would be tough to hit the price point of the factory part.
Old 11-22-2022, 11:50 AM   #8
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,673 Times in 993 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCFD View Post
How did you get it covered under warranty? I figured those would be considered normal wear items?
I showed them a facebook thread with a bunch of people complaining of the same thing. They scheduled the appointment *shrug*
Old 11-26-2022, 07:25 PM   #9
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,400 Times in 6,129 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Wait, so what did you actually do? Replace the guides and such or just adjust what was there? I just assumed everyone would have the scratches sooner or later.
The Following User Says Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
x808drifter (11-27-2022)
Old 11-26-2022, 11:18 PM   #10
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
Wait, so what did you actually do? Replace the guides and such or just adjust what was there? I just assumed everyone would have the scratches sooner or later.
I adjusted the tracks and guides to find the minimum force on the pads that allow the window to raise and lower without rattling anywhere in it's travel. I can find the sweet spot more quickly now but it took me a long time to become familiar with how the whole system "wants" to be set.

Tags
guides, replacing, scratching, trim, window