follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 10-16-2021, 10:43 PM   #1
Sam86

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Datalog Review

Hi,

I've had Wayne's E85 oft tune on for about 10000kms, after tuning to E85 I felt like my exhaust wasn't as aggressive, when I let off the throttle the exhaust is completely silent whilst on 98 OTS tune it would burble - but it felt faster I've had no issues since.

I data logged 2x 0-6500-7000 rpm pulls (The first was WOT from a standstill and the second was a rolling WOT both done with manual shifting) and would like an opinion from someone who actually understands logging. From what I understand from checking Wayne's site, I'm running lean which (correct me if i'm wrong) would explain the less aggressive exhaust- and to correct it I should be switching to the +4% rich tune which will add more fuel. I had just filled up my tank when I did these logs so not sure if that would have any effect on the data- it was from the same gas station I get e85 so the ethanol content shouldn't be any different.

A full tank of e85 gets me around 300-325kms, I drive fairly conservatively but always in the manual mode. I don't smell any e85/ petrol content on cold starts or whilst driving despite having catless headers. I wouldn't say my acceleration is 'slow' for running lean but switching from UEL Petrol tune to e85 wasn't as significant as I saw everyone else on the forums claim. I haven’t done any proper performance testing or dyno runs but my 0-100 was high 5’s to low 6’s just putting my foot flat and letting the car shift

I have an Auto running the Stage 2 OFT UEL e85 on version 167
Here are my logs
https://datazap.me/u/sam86/log-16344...x=7511.00&hg=1

*Edit*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam86 View Post
Anyway this has turned from datalog help to actual help

I flashed the Rich 4% tune, did all the typical reflash procedures. The throttle response was really bad despite doing the post flash pedal pushing for a minute before turning the car on. Despite the throttle response being bad, it did feel like I was getting more power.
Took the car out for about 10km, came home and that was that.

Couple hours later I go to the shops, the car starts up but I did notice it sounded like a cold start despite being warm. Left my house and came to a stop, noticed my RPMS at a stop were fairly low, around 600-700 figured it was just the car settling into the tune as it had only been about 10km. Did a small pull to about 6k rpm and it felt fairly fast. Was in the shops for about 10minutes and when I go to start the car to leave it just kept cutting out within 3 seconds of starting.
As I said above, it would start, idle rpms would dip then the car would die. Tried revving it in park and was able to keep it running in park but as soon as I put it into drive it died again.
Reflashed to Rich2%, the tune inbetween what I was running initially and to what I had just flashed to and managed to get it running and get home.
When i'm parked in drive the RPM is at about 700, when I put it in park it jumps to 1k then settles back at 700.
Previously I remembered the rpms being low but not this low, maybe around 750-800 during idle.

Not sure what to do now, going to try start it a few times and if it happens again i'll flash it back to the default tune I was on and hope this isn't a permanent issue and don't know what'll happen tomorrow on the cold start
Tried to datalog when I first put the new tune on but my OTF wouldn't let me stop the logging.

*Edit 2*

Here is a second log i'm running after tuning the car which is adding 2% more fuel (I previously had one adding 4% which prevented the car from starting during the 2nd drive) This was done at night whilst the previous one was done during the day
https://datazap.me/u/sam86/rich2-tun...07&tmax=689.55

Last edited by Sam86; 10-17-2021 at 07:01 AM.
Sam86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 03:07 AM   #2
Boomerang

Drives: 2015 Toyota GT86 MT UEL E85 RSR CWP
Thanked 4,850 Times in 2,166 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Hi,

I've had Wayne's E85 oft tune on for about 10000kms, after tuning to E85 I felt like my exhaust wasn't as aggressive, when I let off the throttle the exhaust is completely silent whilst on 98 OTS tune it would burble - but it felt faster I've had no issues since.

I data logged 2x 0-6500-7000 rpm pulls (The first was WOT from a standstill and the second was a rolling WOT both done with manual shifting) and would like an opinion from someone who actually understands logging. From what I understand from checking Wayne's site, I'm running lean which (correct me if i'm wrong) would explain the less aggressive exhaust- and to correct it I should be switching to the +4% rich tune which will add more fuel. I had just filled up my tank when I did these logs so not sure if that would have any effect on the data- it was from the same gas station I get e85 so the ethanol content shouldn't be any different.

A full tank of e85 gets me around 300-325kms, I drive fairly conservatively but always in the manual mode. I don't smell any e85/ petrol content on cold starts or whilst driving despite having catless headers. I wouldn't say my acceleration is 'slow' for running lean but switching from UEL Petrol tune to e85 wasn't as significant as I saw everyone else on the forums claim. I haven’t done any proper performance testing or dyno runs but my 0-100 was high 5’s to low 6’s just putting my foot flat and letting the car shift

I have an Auto running the Stage 2 OFT UEL e85 on version 167
Here are my logs
https://datazap.me/u/sam86/log-16344...x=7511.00&hg=1

You should be logging the following according to stevos MAF scaling thread;

Fuel system status ol/cl
AFR (actual measured by O2 sensor
Commanded AFR ( from OL Fueling table data)
LTFT
STFT
LOAD
MAF Volts
Throttle position
IAT
RPM
Boomerang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 04:38 AM   #3
Sam86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post

Fuel system status ol/cl
LTFT
STFT
LOAD
MAF Volts
Throttle position
IAT
RPM
Yea I’m just referring to the AFR as that’s what Wayno says to check to see if you’re running rich/ lean.

Just switched to the Rich4% tune, car felt faster but throttle was still getting sorted. Went to the shops and now my car starts then dies. If I revved it I could keep it running but as soon as I put it into drive it would die.

In the middle of flashing to the Rich2% tune to see if it’ll get me home
Old 10-17-2021, 04:46 AM   #4
Boomerang

Quote:
Yea I’m just referring to the AFR as that’s what Wayno says to check to see if you’re running rich/ lean.

Just switched to the Rich4% tune, car felt faster but throttle was still getting sorted. Went to the shops and now my car starts then dies. If I revved it I could keep it running but as soon as I put it into drive it would die.

In the middle of flashing to the Rich2% tune to see if it’ll get me home

A good way to check AFR is to log AFR and Command AFR then you can see any difference between command and actual AFR-rich or lean.

If your LTFT are positive as per your datalog then that would indicate you are running lean at WOT.
Old 10-17-2021, 04:49 AM   #5
Sam86

Quote:
A good way to check AFR is to log AFR and Command AFR then you can see any difference between command and actual AFR-rich or lean.
Will try that next time I think I must not of added it to my OFT logger
Old 10-17-2021, 04:57 AM   #6
Sam86

Anyway this has turned from datalog help to actual help

I flashed the Rich 4% tune, did all the typical reflash procedures. The throttle response was really bad despite doing the post flash pedal pushing for a minute before turning the car on. Despite the throttle response being bad, it did feel like I was getting more power.
Took the car out for about 10km, came home and that was that.

Couple hours later I go to the shops, the car starts up but I did notice it sounded like a cold start despite being warm. Left my house and came to a stop, noticed my RPMS at a stop were fairly low, around 600-700 figured it was just the car settling into the tune as it had only been about 10km. Did a small pull to about 6k rpm and it felt fairly fast. Was in the shops for about 10minutes and when I go to start the car to leave it just kept cutting out within 3 seconds of starting.
As I said above, it would start, idle rpms would dip then the car would die. Tried revving it in park and was able to keep it running in park but as soon as I put it into drive it died again.
Reflashed to Rich2%, the tune inbetween what I was running initially and to what I had just flashed to and managed to get it running and get home.
When i'm parked in drive the RPM is at about 700, when I put it in park it jumps to 1k then settles back at 700.
Previously I remembered the rpms being low but not this low, maybe around 750-800 during idle.

Not sure what to do now, going to try start it a few times and if it happens again i'll flash it back to the default tune I was on and hope this isn't a permanent issue and don't know what'll happen tomorrow on the cold start
Tried to datalog when I first put the new tune on but my OTF wouldn't let me stop the logging.

Last edited by Sam86; 10-17-2021 at 05:17 AM.
Old 10-17-2021, 05:04 AM   #7
Sam86

Quote:

Fuel system status ol/cl
LTFT
STFT
LOAD
MAF Volts
Throttle position
IAT
RPM
Updated the log to include those things, just dont have the command afr logged

https://datazap.me/u/sam86/log-16344...x=7537.00&hg=1
My AFR seems to be around 12.6-12.9 at 6-7k RPMS which is why I chose the 4% rich tune.
My LTFT is about 2+ during that time which I assume is positive? (Again I had just topped up my tank before doing this log)

2nd log of the Rich 2% tune, adding 2% more fuel over the previous log. It appears this tune is making me run extremely rich now? Getting 11.3-11.8 AFR during 6-6.8k rpms. Don't know why it's such a big difference over the previous tune
https://datazap.me/u/sam86/rich2-tun...38&tmax=689.55

Last edited by Sam86; 10-17-2021 at 06:07 AM.
Old 10-17-2021, 05:31 AM   #8
Boomerang

Quote:
Updated the log to include those things, just dont have the command afr logged

https://datazap.me/u/sam86/log-16344...x=7537.00&hg=1
My AFR seems to be around 12.6-12.9 at 6-7k RPMS which is why I chose the 4% lean tune.
My LTFT is about 2+ during that time which I assume is positive? (Again I had just topped up my tank before doing this log)

If 12.6 to 12.8 is your AFR then yes you should use the rich +4%
Old 10-17-2021, 06:06 AM   #9
Sam86

Quote:
If 12.6 to 12.8 is your AFR then yes you should use the rich +4%
I did that and my car would stall then die on start up because it couldn't maintain RPMS and I was stranded in the car park until I reflashed the tune down to the rich 2% which so far has worked for the 2 drives I've done 20 minutes ago. But the RPMs still feel lower when idling

Last edited by Sam86; 10-17-2021 at 06:18 AM.
Old 10-17-2021, 06:24 AM   #10
Boomerang

Quote:
I did that and my car would stall then die on start up because it couldn't maintain RPMS and I was stranded in the car park until I reflashed the tune down to the rich 2% which so far has worked for the 2 drives I've done 20 minutes ago. But the RPMs still feel lower when idling

You should let the car idle for a minute after flashing.

Do you have any intake mods?
Old 10-17-2021, 06:29 AM   #11
Sam86

Quote:
You should let the car idle for a minute after flashing.

Do you have any intake mods?
Yes I did allow it to idle after flashing for about 2 minutes until the RPMS settled before going on my post flash drive. It was my 3rd start up since flashing that I encountered this inability to start the car without it dying

I am running the stock intake with a K&N drop in filter.

The k&n filter is barely 5000 kms old. The car had an oil change about 1000kms ago. I was running the default e85 tune for 10,000kms with no mechanical issues until I flashed the car to make it run richer in response to my data log data, and feeling that I had been running lean the entire 10,000kms based on sluggish mid RPM acceleration despite having UEL Headers and e85, and not much more noticeable when I was on plain 98 with the OTS tune
The Following User Says Thank You to Sam86 For This Useful Post:
Boomerang (10-17-2021)
Old 10-17-2021, 06:35 AM   #12
Boomerang

Quote:
Yes I did allow it to idle after flashing for about 2 minutes until the RPMS settled before going on my post flash drive. It was my 3rd start up since flashing that I encountered this in ability to start the car without it dying

I am running the stock intake with a K&N drop in filter

OK good, filter clean and intake hoses no leaks?

Maybe run it for a while on the +2% rich, do some logging(add AFR command and FLKC to logging) and see what it looks like on a few 1000-7000 WOT logs.

Your IAM is .99 so your not knocking badly, is your start IAM 0.7 or 1.0?
Old 10-17-2021, 07:00 AM   #13
Sam86

Quote:
OK good, filter clean and intake hoses no leaks?

Maybe run it for a while on the +2% rich, do some logging(add AFR command and FLKC to logging) and see what it looks like on a few 1000-7000 WOT logs.

Your IAM is .99 so your not knocking badly, is your start IAM 0.7 or 1.0?
It was 0.99 the whole way through on the default logs (before I added more fuel).
And yes filter is clean and no leaks as far as i'm aware, car never had an issue like this until the very same day I switched to the 4% richer tune

After adding 2% more fuel it's now 1.0 the whole way through (Assuming you're talking about the advanced multiplier)
Here is the initial data for the 2% rich logs. That's the 2nd drive since putting on the 2% tune so I assume the ltft will drop over the next 100km

Last edited by Sam86; 10-17-2021 at 07:21 AM.
Old 10-17-2021, 07:36 AM   #14
Boomerang

Quote:
It was 0.99 the whole way through on the default logs (before I added more fuel).
And yes filter is clean and no leaks as far as i'm aware, car never had an issue like this until the very same day I switched to the 4% richer tune

After adding 2% more fuel it's now 1.0 the whole way through (Assuming you're talking about the advanced multiplier)
Here is the initial data for the 2% rich logs. That's the 2nd drive since putting on the 2% tune so I assume the ltft will drop over the next 100km

Yes IAM is advance multiplier.

So now we can see the command AFR vs actual you can see it is running a bit rich around 6500rpm.

From Wayno's site;

Name:  rich.JPG
Views: 323
Size:  60.7 KB

Run it for a few hundred k's and log again and see what it looks like.
The Following User Says Thank You to Boomerang For This Useful Post:
Sam86 (10-17-2021)