follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 09-24-2021, 03:50 AM   #1
Theodorable

Drives: 2015 Scion Frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Car has electricity but won't crank

I installed my new headlights I was trying to figure out how to wire the turn signals, I bought the morimotos and so everything was workin until my uncle tried to connect this wire into another wire for the turn signal. Right after then, my DRLs stopped working but the projectors were fine and when I was done trying to fix it was decided it was time to go home. but when I went to start my car it wouldn't crank nothing in the engine. I could turn the keys all the way. The car lights outside worked and the inter lights worked everything worked but the car did not want to start. It didn't even make any sputter sounds or anything. just nothing. I charged the battery and not only that didn't work and so we tried to jump start but that didn't do anything as well. Earlier during the day I had to switch out my spark plugs for hem spark plugs because it would misfire, it's in my first post if you check that out you'll see. but once I replaced them the car ran perfectly normal and I test drove it and it felt like butter. The rpm wasn't going up or down just smooth. I don't know if trying to figure out the turn signal and causing my DLRS to not work anymore had any affect on my car not cranking. Because I don't see how the 2 correlate. I just hope this isn't a huge problem because I'm really in a tuff financial situation here. I am tried of this car problem shit man literally once I fix a problem another comes up I don't understand.

Last edited by Theodorable; 09-24-2021 at 05:46 AM.
Theodorable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 04:04 AM   #2
Purist

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Check all fuses first. I don't mean to be obvious but often when wiring you blow a fuse, then you panic and check everything except the obvious.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
humfrz (09-24-2021), Turdinator (09-26-2021)
Old 09-24-2021, 05:40 AM   #3
Theodorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
Check all fuses first. I don't mean to be obvious but often when wiring you blow a fuse, then you panic and check everything except the obvious.

Thank you for your input and I don't mind that you stated the obvious, if anything I appreciate it! Is there any specific fuse names I should check or should I check all the fuses?

"edit" -Im slow Ill check all the fuses tmr morning.
Old 09-24-2021, 05:43 AM   #4
Purist

Without knowing what your uncle tapped into I couldn't say. But I'd pull each fuse out, one at a time, check it, put it back.

(Also disconnect the wire that caused the problem in the first place, then try again.

Auto electrics are a dark art man.

Old 09-24-2021, 05:48 AM   #5
Theodorable

Quote:
Without knowing what your uncle tapped into I couldn't say. But I'd pull each fuse out, one at a time, check it, put it back.

(Also disconnect the wire that caused the problem in the first place, then try again.

Auto electrics are a dark art man.

We disconnected the wire immediately when we noticed the DRLS did not work anymore. But how does that affect my car not cranking? Just wondering.
Old 09-24-2021, 05:58 AM   #6
Purist

It's possible you've blown a fuse related to the starter motor or ECU or something.

Your electronics are pretty well protected by the fuses. That's what they're there for, so it's unlikely you've done any permanent damage.

Like I said. It's a dark art. Too bad the lights weren't plug n play.

Old 09-24-2021, 07:09 AM   #7
Purist

I just had a thought: have to made sure your car is properly engaged in Park?

There's a principle in problem solving called Occam's Razor. It states that the simplest solution is probably the correct one.

So rather than looking for complicated issues, the cause of your car not cranking is most likely something really simple that you've overlooked. ( Not in Park, fuse blown etc etc)

I feel your pain man. Trying to learn to spanner a car, not having a ton of cash, it's hard. But you'll learn a lot and things will get better, and one day you'll be an old dude handing out advice to young dudes on a forum...

Turdinator (09-26-2021), Ultramaroon (09-27-2021)
Old 09-24-2021, 01:48 PM   #8
Theodorable

Quote:

There's a principle in problem solving called Occam's Razor. It states that the simplest solution is probably the correct one.

So rather than looking for complicated issues, the cause of your car not cranking is most likely something really simple that you've overlooked. ( Not in Park, fuse blown etc etc)

I feel your pain man. Trying to learn to spanner a car, not having a ton of cash, it's hard. But you'll learn a lot and things will get better, and one day you'll be an old dude handing out advice to young dudes on a forum...

Yeah my car is in park when I try to turn it on, and thank you for your words of wisdom makes me feel better about my situation!
The Following User Says Thank You to Theodorable For This Useful Post:
humfrz (09-24-2021)
Old 09-24-2021, 02:11 PM   #9
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,795 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theodorable View Post
Yeah my car is in park when I try to turn it on, and thank you for your words of wisdom makes me feel better about my situation!
Well, let's see here, did you check the two big fuses at the terminal on the battery?

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 03:20 PM   #10
BigTuna

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Can you check if the starter is getting power with a multimeter? Or run a lead from the battery straight to the starter and see it if spins.

Quote:

I did this in my other car the other day. spent 45 minutes trying to diagnose a no-crank condition. realized it was not in P...
Old 09-24-2021, 03:29 PM   #11
Theodorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Well, let's see here, did you check the two big fuses at the terminal on the battery?

They have corrosion but we got rid of most of it for better connection.
The Following User Says Thank You to Theodorable For This Useful Post:
humfrz (09-24-2021)
Old 09-24-2021, 03:36 PM   #12
pope
has a funny hat

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Out of curiosity, what wire did your uncle connect to where resulting in this issue?

Morimotos should have been a direct plug and play headlight using the included 6-pin adapter.

Also, I would check fuse #1 in the car. It's the BCM (body control module fuse), I think it's 10a.
pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 03:56 PM   #13
Theodorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by pope View Post
Out of curiosity, what wire did your uncle connect to where resulting in this issue?

Morimotos should have been a direct plug and play headlight using the included 6-pin adapter.

Also, I would check fuse #1 in the car. It's the BCM (body control module fuse), I think it's 10a.
I would show you an image of the wire but I’d have to take the bumper off. I believe its the fog light wire oh the right side of the car and I’ll make sure to check that fuse you’re speaking of.
Old 09-24-2021, 04:06 PM   #14
pope
has a funny hat

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theodorable View Post
I would show you an image of the wire but I’d have to take the bumper off. I believe its the fog light wire oh the right side of the car and I’ll make sure to check that fuse you’re speaking of.
Did you cut/splice the wire while installing the headlights or just plug in the connectors?
pope is offline   Reply With Quote