follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 03-06-2019, 01:59 PM   #113
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
Maybe create a new thread titled: "Failure After J02 Recall: Discussion Thread" and then link to it in your OP. Maybe also instruct people to link back to their post in the registry thread when starting a discussion in the discussion thread so people can easily reference their report. Maybe a mod could move the posts with discussion into this new thread. Also maybe a thread named "J02 Recall Success: Registry Thread" would be helpful. Seems more people are reporting failure than success but maybe we could get a better idea if there was a registry for that.
I could, but I'll be honest and disclose that I'm not interested in starting a discussion thread. Call me obtuse, difficult, or ornery, that's fine! I'm not meaning to be anything, just that I have a lot on my plate and only started this thread so we could have a concise list of responses pointing to failures, rather than discussing the how/why/who. Maybe when I've eaten lunch I'll re-consider
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 02:10 PM   #114
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
I could, but I'll be honest and disclose that I'm not interested in starting a discussion thread. Call me obtuse, difficult, or ornery, that's fine! I'm not meaning to be anything, just that I have a lot on my plate and only started this thread so we could have a concise list of responses pointing to failures, rather than discussing the how/why/who. Maybe when I've eaten lunch I'll re-consider
Anyone could create the extra thread but only you can edit your first post which is the only reason I suggested you do there grunt work.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 06:40 PM   #115
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Thumbs down Discussion Thread: Failure After J02 Recall

The purpose of this thread is for the open discussion of your experience after the failure post-recall. I still advocate not calling out your specific dealership, but freedom of speech is why forums are valuable, right?

I'm not going to provide a template, but I'll post my own experience below.

on February 18th, 2019 - 413 miles after my vehicle was returned to me having the J02 recall work performed, my engine spontaneously began making a loud ticking sound on my drive to the dealership. Within 2 minutes, this evolved into full on engine knocking, I promptly cut the ignition, pulled over, called a tow truck and then the dealership. I was already on my way to the dealership because since I received the car back, I had a strong burning oil smell. I thought the smell may be residual oils burning off, and there seemed to be no accumulation of oil under the car, so I wanted them to look into it after it persisted 3 weeks since receiving the vehicle back.

Fast forward 3 weeks, They still have not told me if they are covering the engine, they have not admitted fault, they are not voluntarily updating me ( I have to call multiple times to speak with somebody or show up unannounced). The service advisor who has been working with me has been great about letting me to go look at the car, grab things from the car, take pictures, etc. He also has nothing to do with this. I have logged a ticket with NHTSA calling out this dealership so far for not taking action, and I have opened a case with corporate Toyota.

Your turn.

Last edited by DarkPira7e; 04-05-2019 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Tcoat made me
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
humfrz (03-07-2019)
Old 03-06-2019, 06:43 PM   #116
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
Maybe create a new thread titled: "Failure After J02 Recall: Discussion Thread" and then link to it in your OP. Maybe also instruct people to link back to their post in the registry thread when starting a discussion in the discussion thread so people can easily reference their report. Maybe a mod could move the posts with discussion into this new thread. Also maybe a thread named "J02 Recall Success: Registry Thread" would be helpful. Seems more people are reporting failure than success but maybe we could get a better idea if there was a registry for that.
Ok, I'm in a better mood. I've opened up a separate thread, with a similar name and updated my initial post in this thread with the link.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
ermax (03-06-2019), humfrz (03-06-2019), MuseChaser (03-06-2019)
Old 03-06-2019, 09:15 PM   #117
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
Ok, I'm in a better mood. I've opened up a separate thread, with a similar name and updated my initial post in this thread with the link.
Back in the day, we used to do a three martini lunch for a mood changer -

Is that done anymore -

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 09:37 PM   #118
Jbelmonte

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ, AVO Stage 2 Turbo
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I am honestly debating not bringing my vehicle (2013 BRZ limited) in for this recall. From what I see on these boards, there's a greater chance of failure post recall work than if the vehicle isn't brought in at all. My BRZ is boosted with an AVO kit and my fear is that I will bring this thing in to be "fixed", it'll break shortly after, and then I'm screwed because my car is modified. What is everyone else's thoughts on this logic?

We're talking about a .008% valve spring failure rate or something like that, 11 reported cases total from 2012 until now. This whole situation has me extremely frustrated.
Jbelmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jbelmonte For This Useful Post:
humfrz (03-07-2019), RallySport (03-09-2019), Teseo (03-07-2019), why? (03-08-2019)
Old 03-06-2019, 10:01 PM   #119
N234

Drives:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Back in the day, we used to do a three martini lunch for a mood changer -

Is that done anymore -

humfrz
Yes

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
N234 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to N234 For This Useful Post:
humfrz (03-06-2019)
Old 03-06-2019, 10:48 PM   #120
MuseChaser
Feeling like thinking....

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,433 Times in 1,064 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post

Vehicle Mileage: Turned over more than once
Vehicle Make: Bombay/Beefeaters (twin)
Mileage After Recall Performed: Three Martinis
Symptom(s): Constant flashbacks
Failure: Undesired mood
State: Confusion
Is Dealership Offering Repair: Not needed... third martini was sufficient

humfrz

FIFY
humfrz (03-06-2019)
Old 03-06-2019, 10:57 PM   #121
MuseChaser
Feeling like thinking....

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,433 Times in 1,064 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Anecdotally, it seems that your chances for a positive outcome are much greater with a Subaru and associated dealership than Toyota.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:04 PM   #122
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,323 Times in 7,381 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuseChaser View Post
Anecdotally, it seems that your chances for a positive outcome are much greater with a Subaru and associated dealership than Toyota.
It is still not very confidence inspiring. I first called over 6 weeks ago to my Subaru dealer, they were putting people on a list while getting their techs through some training on the recall. They just left me a voice mail today letting me know it should only be a couple more months to get me in
NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 11:56 PM   #123
ORrooster

Drives: Your FR-S like he stole it.
1.) Head gaskets wouldn't be much more work with the cams already out.

2.) Head gaskets don't come in the kit.

3.) You might replace them since, although I haven't seen many FA20s leak, Subaru head gaskets are notoriously shit.

4.) A 'complete' oil change is not performed. No filter replacement.

5.) Toyota WILL NOT pay the dealer if the work is performed by a technician not meeting training requirements. Unless there is an oversight by Toyota Corp during claim processing.

6.) This isn't the 80s. Disconnecting the battery rarely clears DTCs. If your System Monitors have not run and passed/failed, that would be a little suspect but not a sole cause for voiding warranty. A non OEM ECU calibration... you just bought that motor. Kind of puts dealers in a tough place there. Complete Health Check and clearing if all DTCs in all controllers should have been done post repair. If failure occurred soon enough after repairs, all the System Monitors may not have run. So there's your 'out' there, but most of them should have 'their rebuttal'.

7-100.) Why wouldn't you call out the dealer? You're claiming poor workmanship destroyed your engine. Drag their fucking reputation through the mud. You think they care what you say in here to each other? Fuck no! They're going to do you any favors cause you didn't bash them on the internet? Ha! Cut into their money and Service Managers and General Managers will start caring.

Last edited by ORrooster; 03-07-2019 at 02:17 AM. Reason: Spelling
ORrooster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ORrooster For This Useful Post:
why? (03-08-2019)
Old 03-07-2019, 12:26 AM   #124
ORrooster

Drives: Your FR-S like he stole it.
PS : A bad experience with the Service Manager at your dealer doesn't make them all Corporate mouthpieces trying to pin their technician or Manufacturer's shortcomings on the customer.

To classify any group based on your experience with a single or even a couple individuals is completely moronic. Getting on the internet and advising people that they're all such might actually pull with a few, but I think most intelligent people will disregard most of anything you have to offer an opinion on post-idiotic comments.
ORrooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 08:49 AM   #125
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORrooster View Post
1.) Head gaskets wouldn't be much more work with the cams already out.
Not true, it's a pain in the ass because it's covered in packing material that needs to be cleaned and repacked which is just another source of failure. I'd guess 2.5 hours additional labor speaking of my own personal experience doing this job. There is a reason Toyota altered the instructions in the service manual to avoid removing the heads.

Quote:
2.) Head gaskets don't come in the kit.
Looks like you are right on that. I thought they were using the standard $240 gasket kit which does include the head gaskets.

Quote:
3.) You might replace them since, although I haven't seen many FA20s leak, Subaru head gaskets are notoriously shit.
If it ain't broke don't fix it. If it is cracked you would know it. This isn't a wear item.

Quote:
6.) This isn't the 80s. Disconnecting the battery rarely clears DTCs. If your System Monitors have not run and passed/failed, that would be a little suspect but not a sole cause for voiding warranty. A non OEM ECU calibration... you just bought that motor. Kind of puts dealers in a tough place there. Complete Health Check and clearing if all DTCs in all controllers should have been done post repair. If failure occurred soon enough after repairs, all the System Monitors may not have run. So there's your 'out' there, but most of them should have 'their rebuttal'.
Pulling the battery on this car will clear DTCs.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (03-07-2019), humfrz (03-07-2019), phm14 (06-08-2021), Teseo (03-07-2019), Ultramaroon (03-08-2019)
Old 03-07-2019, 09:27 AM   #126
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,323 Times in 7,381 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
PS : A bad experience with the Service Manager at your dealer doesn't make them all Corporate mouthpieces trying to pin their technician or Manufacturer's shortcomings on the customer.

To classify any group based on your experience with a single or even a couple individuals is completely moronic. Getting on the internet and advising people that they're all such might actually pull with a few, but I think most intelligent people will disregard most of anything you have to offer an opinion on post-idiotic comments.
You must be ignoring the other thread with all the blown up motors and Toyota and the dealers pointing it back at the customers then
NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brz, failure, frs, i cant even, j02, recall, so much glue