follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 01-11-2017, 11:26 AM   #1
frs.justin

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Smile Help me to run E85!!!

So i would like to run e85 in my Frs and am set on the Motoeast Flexfuel Kit. I want to be able to run e85 when i want and 91 octane when i don't have access to E85.
I want to get an Ecutek Tune but i was wondering how soon i have to get it after installing the Flexfuel kit. What if i had my friend do an Openflash tune instead for the meanwhile before Im able to get to a dyno and get my ecutek tune. If i got an E85 tune with the open flash tablet will i still be able to run 91 octane since i have the flexfuel kit? Am i able to run one or the other? And with the OFT tune can i mix E85 and 91? Ive been searching for these answers but cant seem to find this information.
frs.justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 02:36 PM   #2
Dr. BRZ

Drives: 2013 WR Blue Pearl BRZ Limited 6MT.
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
motoeast flex fuel kit and oft are NOT compatible. best advice is to wait til you buy ecutek first then flex kit. oft also sells a flexfuel kit if you are interested in going with them.
Dr. BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 04:20 PM   #3
jwvand02

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frs.justin View Post
So i would like to run e85 in my Frs and am set on the Motoeast Flexfuel Kit. I want to be able to run e85 when i want and 91 octane when i don't have access to E85.
I want to get an Ecutek Tune but i was wondering how soon i have to get it after installing the Flexfuel kit. What if i had my friend do an Openflash tune instead for the meanwhile before Im able to get to a dyno and get my ecutek tune. If i got an E85 tune with the open flash tablet will i still be able to run 91 octane since i have the flexfuel kit? Am i able to run one or the other? And with the OFT tune can i mix E85 and 91? Ive been searching for these answers but cant seem to find this information.
If you have the OFT, you have to run either the 91 tune or the E85 tune, there is no flex fuel. To some extent, you can run a little bit of ethanol mixed in with gas safely on the 91 tune but your trims will be very high and you won't get any performance benefit.

I would highly suggest calling your tuner and asking them what fuel to bring and how. For all intents and purposes, you don't have flex fuel until your ecutek tune is done. Make your decision based on what your tuner says about the fuel you need to have in your car when you come to get it tuned.
jwvand02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 04:51 PM   #4
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
OFT has flex fuel now. It takes added hardware, which costs $549, then a tune which costs $245, then an OFT tablet. So you're looking at around $1200.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 05:12 PM   #5
Chronology

Drives: 13' Satin White Pearl BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by frs.justin View Post
I am running the MotoEast FlexFuel kit, with the MotoEast Tune. At the price point, you might as well wait till you get the ECUTek. The ECUTek/E85 tune will auto adjust based on your eth content. With that setup you can run full pump gas , 91/93 OR full E85 or a blend and the ECU will adjust.

The E85 sensor/display physically was a breeze to install, and the ECUTek setup/flash was even easier.
RS*R Sport-I w/custom spring rate / Cusco Front/Rear Sways, Cusco Diff Brace / Cusco Power Brace (Rear/Front/Upper/Lower) / JDL UEL Headers / INVIDIA Q300 Ti / Valenti Revo Tails and rear backup/ EcuTek / Moto-East Flexfuel / Moto-East E85 tune
Chronology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 05:36 PM   #6
KnightRyderx2

Drives: 2014 FR-S
The FlexFuel kit hardware without a tune you can install and run just on it own, it wont do anything for you though. You wont be able to run E85 at that point but you can see what ethanol content is in your 91 for instance.

The tune is what allows you to run E85/FlexFuel, not the kit. You can run E85 on a stock car just with an E85 tune. There is a thread on here from Shiv, OpenFlashTablet, about running E85 and down to E65 just on his E85 tune.

Its totally up to you at what point you want to do what. The only thing that you need to keep in mind is no E85 until you get the FlexFuel tune.

I suggest you contact MotoEast and talk to then directly and see how they would suggest going about the tune, or even the whole process. I'm pretty sure they have a canned tune they can give you, you just have to find someone with a ECUTek to load it.
KnightRyderx2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e85tune, ecutek, flexfuel, openflashtablet