follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 08-03-2020, 10:18 AM   #1
RIĐO

Drives: orange car
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
New coilover to replace AST 5100

Hello,

So I have blown a fwd lh shock on my AST 5100 coilovers. I have to say that AST coilovers are just amazing. But the lack of (actually zero) customer support has left me to look at other options. I couldn't even get a a reply from them about the top camber plates so just to think about requesting new shock or revalving from AST makes me wanna sell my car and buy a bicycle.
So my driving is agressive daily driving with hooning and ocasional track day. I don' t need much adjustability to sofisticaly fu¢k up my handling.
I don't want to spend much at this point as this is unexpected circumstance so I have narrow my choices to billstein B14/16 or meisterR club race.
I don't want to degrade my ride by too much coming from the ASTs but also don't want premium coilovers because I spend more hooning time on destroyed roads and not so much on the track.
Now all I ask from you is if you know about any coilovers that I should consider for this application. Based on recomendations I am about to go with meisterR at the moment if there aren't any other ideas.

Thanks.
RIĐO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 03:38 PM   #2
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I have Bilstein B14's (some street miles off the shelf and some after a custom valving) and revalved Megans which are a similar monotube damper type to the Meister with a ~32 setting adjustable rebound that affects compression slightly.

imho the Bilsteins with their street oriented progressive spring rates and damping profiles are better suited to street/rough roads and the capability of the large rebound adjustment on the meister/BC/megan/etc. is better suited for making the dampers fairly stiff and getting some impressive handling characteristics on smooth pavement. I love my megans for competitive events but when driving home I wish I had the off the shelf Bilsteins again. I'm heavily considering switching back to them in a year or two.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
RIĐO (08-03-2020)
Old 08-03-2020, 03:42 PM   #3
Lincoln Logs

Drives: #337 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I had AST5100s, I wasn't happy with them like you. I switched to MCS 1WNR short body and they are fantastic. My only regret was not getting the full length shock from the C-Street kit. The short shocks make you run the car way lower than I would like and get funky geometry problems if you try to get a lot of camber. The 1WNR long body shocks are the way to go right now until the Xida from 949 come out.
Lincoln Logs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lincoln Logs For This Useful Post:
RIĐO (08-03-2020)