follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 07-21-2020, 09:00 PM   #57
BRZStef

Drives: White brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by COBlue View Post
After going through the very cumbersome process of modifying the Maestro RR TO1 (previously recommended) harness for my 2017 BRZ, iDatalink advised this MY and later are "more Subaru" and they are moving to the SU2 harness instead.

SO IF YOU ARE BUYING A MAESTRO RR FOR YOUR 2017+ BRZ, GET THE SU2 HARNESS

Much simpler installation (backup camera works with no modification) but not perfect. Notes so far (this is with a Pioneer AVH-2440NEX HU):

1) Flash the RR with the 2017 WRX no HK amp firmware (steering control layout is slightly different, but available buttons on BRZ worked fine for me).

2) The RR runs a brown/red CAN1H wire to pin 9 of the 28 pin harness. On the BRZ that pin is Amp Signal +12v (iDatalink says this is unique). I clipped the brown/red wire near the 18 pin RR harness and then it was the perfect length to twist together with the blue (antenna power/amp) and blue/white (radio amp signal) wires coming out of the RR. Then soldered those to the blue/white remote trigger wire coming out of the radio. With that it is providing amp and antenna power from the HU remote signal wire.

3) The track pack was not working with the BRZ firmware + TO1 harness, but is working with the WRX/SU2 combination.

4) TMPS data is not being displayed from the OBD now, waiting to hear back from iDatalink on that. (It was working with BRZ/TO1 combo.)

5) iDatalink recommended connecting the HU parking brake wire to the RR parking brake wire even though that does not go to pin 15 on the 28 pin harness which is brake on the BRZ. This did not work. Waiting to hear from iDatalink if they think firmware will fix this or if I should try running the HU brake wire directly to pin 15 (this worked on the TO1 harness).

6) The TO1 harness was drawing some power through the power antenna amp wire even with the car off. iDatalink says this is not an issue with the SU2 and connecting directly to the HU remote signal wire (makes sense). I will measure voltage the next couple days to be sure it's not drawing power.

7) On both firmware/harness combinations only certain data is available to be displayed in certain gauge positions (e.g. top left only offers MPH and 0-60). iDatalink was surprised/confused by this. I'm waiting on a solution for that since the WRZ/SU2 change did not affect that.
Hello,
I would appreciate if you could help me and guide me through the process of getting my factory camera to work on my new pioneer head unit.
For some Reason I couldn't figure it out how to have my rear view camera working.
I have followed all guidelines and seem like few things gets me trouble.
I have brz 2016 no steering wheel controls. All manual.

I have attached what I got it like, head unit, harness, antenna adapter, maestro rr etc.
Attachment 190535Attachment 190536Attachment 190537Attachment 190538

Last edited by BRZStef; 07-21-2020 at 10:21 PM.
BRZStef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 09:18 PM   #58
BRZStef

Drives: White brz
Could not figure out how to attach pictures
Attachment 190539Attachment 190540Attachment 190541Attachment 190542Attachment 190543

Last edited by BRZStef; 07-21-2020 at 10:23 PM.
BRZStef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 03:27 PM   #59
COBlue

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZStef View Post
Hello,
I would appreciate if you could help me and guide me through the process of getting my factory camera to work on my new pioneer head unit.
For some Reason I couldn't figure it out how to have my rear view camera working.
I have followed all guidelines and seem like few things gets me trouble.
I have brz 2016 no steering wheel controls. All manual.

I have attached what I got it like, head unit, harness, antenna adapter, maestro rr etc.
Sorry, haven't been on in a while and no new post notification - you get it to work?
COBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 04:32 PM   #60
ZexelGTR

Drives: 2020 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thought I’d chime in as a new owner of a 2020 Subaru BRZ. I attempted an install of an Alpine iLX-107 with the SU2 harness that Crutchfield recommended, but it seems iDatalink doesn’t support the 2020 model year yet. I specifically had trouble with the backup camera not having a plug that matches. There was a five pin connector (four pins used) that I suspect leads to the factory backup camera, but I didn’t have a way to modify the plug to fit. I know some 86 owners have had to cut the end off the SU2 harness to connect to Toyota’s plug with the backup camera.

iDatalink tech support suggest that I return everything to Crutchfield and see if they make any updates for MY2020.
ZexelGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 11:04 PM   #61
Drifter X

Drives: 2019 Toyota 86 TRD SE
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZexelGTR View Post
Thought I’d chime in as a new owner of a 2020 Subaru BRZ. I attempted an install of an Alpine iLX-107 with the SU2 harness that Crutchfield recommended, but it seems iDatalink doesn’t support the 2020 model year yet. I specifically had trouble with the backup camera not having a plug that matches. There was a five pin connector (four pins used) that I suspect leads to the factory backup camera, but I didn’t have a way to modify the plug to fit. I know some 86 owners have had to cut the end off the SU2 harness to connect to Toyota’s plug with the backup camera.

iDatalink tech support suggest that I return everything to Crutchfield and see if they make any updates for MY2020.

I ran into this problem when I first bought my MY19 In 2018. Check out my posts above. I got a custom harness done by Brian at AutoHarnessHouse.com.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Drifter X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 10:26 PM   #62
RotARy15

Drives: 1993 Mazda RX-7 R1, 2020 BRZ PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZexelGTR View Post

It is disappointing that they still don't have a solution for the 2020.

I moved from a 2017 BRZ to a 2020 BRZ and am trying to install my Kenwood. There are a LOT more connections to the factory receiver than on the 2017. I have no idea if these are all important.

It seems there are now 2 USB ports in the 2020 model which feed into a small black box that is mounted below the factory receiver. Both of the connectors to the box are uniquely shaped and the connector from the box to the receiver matches the one from the ports on the 2017. Has anyone encountered this before? Do I need to retain that box or is there a way I can opt for only 1 working USB port? I can try modifying the adapter cable so that the unique connector shapes don't matter. But that is just hoping that the pinouts are the same.
RotARy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 12:00 PM   #63
RotARy15

Drives: 1993 Mazda RX-7 R1, 2020 BRZ PP
Quick update.

For anyone who is looking at the same situation, I have modified the USB adapter (SUBUSB2). Plugging one of the dash port cables directly into the USB adapter after modifying the plugs doesn't seem to work. I wasn't able to get it to read my USB drive. It seems that little black box under the factory receiver performs some intelligent function that can't be easily bypassed. So for now I ran a USB extension to the glovebox.

I can only assume COVID has hurt aftermarket parts because the Scosche Dash kit that fit on my 2017 doesn't fit on the 2020 even though all the distributors still claim it is the same kit.
RotARy15 is offline   Reply With Quote