follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 09-06-2018, 10:16 AM   #15
Sonicp9

Drives: 2016 Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent42 View Post
So I've been experiencing the same thing since getting my car on the road. My car was an insurance write off that I repaired. It was stiff shifting right from day 1. Wouldn't center properly, etc. I did the Mtec springs and there was no improvement. I replaced the shifter and again no improvement. Drove a year like this thinking it was probably something internal and possibly as a result of the accident. The other night I decided to try lubricating the linkage just for shits and giggles. I removed the shifter ( I run an IRP) which gave me access from the top. I sprayed everything that moves with spray graphite lube concentrating mainly on where the shift rod goes into the trans.
It is literally like driving a new car. No more bind or sticking. Shifter centers perfectly every time and is so smooth now.

Thanks for the post. I currently have an OEM shifter, is it still possible to remove it without getting the car on a hoist? I would like to try this before bringing the car in on Monday.
Sonicp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 12:43 PM   #16
Bent42

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonicp9 View Post
Thanks for the post. I currently have an OEM shifter, is it still possible to remove it without getting the car on a hoist? I would like to try this before bringing the car in on Monday.
It'll be tricky with the factory support rail still in place. Not sure of a reasonably simple solution. I'd almost be tempted to hit an oil change or undercoating place and see if they might be able to get some lubricant to it from underneath.
Bent42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 02:23 AM   #17
nickson555

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I have the exact same problem @Sonicp9. I'm on extended warranty. The car was at the dealer recently for that and I think they're going in the wrong direction for the fix they want to do. They want to change the whole shifter itself. What should I tell them?
nickson555 is offline   Reply With Quote