follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 12-21-2015, 11:58 AM   #1
Romiikr

Drives: 2015 Red BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Unhappy UEL Header install

Hey guys,
So I am going to pick up my UEL headers today. I was wondering how hard is it to solo install them. My friend cant help me until tomorrow and quite frankly I want to install them today.. lol. Do you guys think it will be possible to solo install?
Romiikr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 12:08 PM   #2
sirsol66

Drives: 2013 FRS- Hot Lava
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Completely possible. Took me ~2 hours the first time, now its about an hour tops.

Undo the O2 sensor wiring from the top, jack up the car, drop the metal skid plate (10 & 12mm bolts), 3 nuts on each side holding the header to the block, 2 nuts holding it to the overpipe.

To get the header off the car (due to stud clearance), you will need to undo the exhaust hanger holding the front pipe to the car. Its two bolts holding the bracket to the body.

Install is easier as there are no studs, just nuts and bolts so its slips on much easier.
sirsol66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 12:10 PM   #3
MisterSheep
Killed Scion

Drives: 2013 FR-S Whiteout
Thanked 7,307 Times in 4,485 Posts
Mentioned: 334 Post(s)
Tagged: 185 Thread(s)
Garage
Header is much easier to replace than an overpipe on our cars. If you can turn a wrench and have replaced your catback on your car by yourself then I say it's easily doable.
Originally Posted by KR-S 86 View Post
What are you talking about? You just killed one of the worst brands in history according to enthusiasts. People will be worshipping you like sheep.
MisterSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 12:11 PM   #4
D_Thissen

Drives: '13 Argento FR-S (Sold)
Thanked 1,439 Times in 855 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
You should be able to do it yourself. There a DIY on the forum and a few videos online.

A couple things that I have heard are:
Spray WD40 on the nuts and bolts to help them come off.
Use a bit of anti seize on the O2 sensor threads (do not get any on the sensor itself).
Run a thread chaser through the bungs on the new header.

Heres a quick video that I found on the interweb.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggjtR4qXp6c"]Frs header Install [Scion Frs] [TheFrsProject] - YouTube[/ame]
Old 12-21-2015, 12:25 PM   #5
kch
Senior Misanthrope

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue CWP
Thanked 1,168 Times in 645 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romiikr View Post
Hey guys,
So I am going to pick up my UEL headers today. I was wondering how hard is it to solo install them. My friend cant help me until tomorrow and quite frankly I want to install them today.. lol. Do you guys think it will be possible to solo install?
Note that the middle bolt on the driver's side is going to be a pain in the ass with a UEL header. You'll need a U-joint and a couple extensions to get it properly.
kch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 12:31 PM   #6
cdq85

Drives: 2013 Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kch View Post
Note that the middle bolt on the driver's side is going to be a pain in the ass with a UEL header. You'll need a U-joint and a couple extensions to get it properly.

^^ this x1000. I got over to that bolt and was mother f'ing everything because I couldn't find my u-joint and had to run to hobo freight to get one.
cdq85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 01:01 PM   #7
Romiikr

Drives: 2015 Red BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsol66 View Post
Completely possible. Took me ~2 hours the first time, now its about an hour tops.

Undo the O2 sensor wiring from the top, jack up the car, drop the metal skid plate (10 & 12mm bolts), 3 nuts on each side holding the header to the block, 2 nuts holding it to the overpipe.

To get the header off the car (due to stud clearance), you will need to undo the exhaust hanger holding the front pipe to the car. Its two bolts holding the bracket to the body.

Install is easier as there are no studs, just nuts and bolts so its slips on much easier.

THANK ALL OF YOU GUYS❤❤❤❤
Ive done everything myself so far and cant wait to get these fuckers on there. I appreciate the help!
Romiikr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 01:31 PM   #8
theadmiral976

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
A few things not mentioned above that I remember from my own UEL install (which I did solo).

1) Remember to unclip the O2 sensor harnesses before you start! The wires are pretty fragile and the sensors are pretty expensive. If I recall, the clip closest to the passenger side radiator fan was difficult to remove. Don't be afraid to use a small pick to help hold the clip retainer as you gently pull on the clip itself.

2) Something I didn't do, but wish I did, was unplug the radiator fans before starting the install. Once you are done, you are going to want to check for exhaust leaks. It is hard enough to check for exhaust leaks on an uncoated header because of the radiant heat, but impossible if the radiator fans are on. If you try to unplug them after you've had your car on for a minute or two, your new header will give you second degree burns. Obviously, don't forget to plug them back in once you're done with the install.

3) I'd recommend a proper O2 sensor socket to remove and install the two sensors. I found that a crescent wrench did not provide sufficient leverage and I was worried about warping the sensor threads. Also, don't worry too much if the sensors "creak" as they are being removed - it freaked me out at first but nothing bad happened. Just go slowly. You'll notice the outer covers are pretty pliable, so try not to bend them.

4) Also, if you choose to put anti-seize on the O2 sensor threads, do so very sparingly. You don't want to contaminate your O2 sensors.

5) As with most metal bolt-on parts, heat cycles causes the torque to go out of spec. Once you've driven with your new header for 20 min or so, be sure to lift the car back up, re-torque all bolts, and check for evidence of exhaust leak (black soot around the flanges). I found that while the header and over-pipe bolts were generally very close, the exhaust hanger bolt was pretty loose - maybe because the exhaust shifted while driving.

Good luck! It's an awesome mod!
theadmiral976 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brz, engine, exhaust, headers, uel