follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 09-22-2015, 06:30 AM   #2157
SilverlightPony

Drives: '13 Subaru BRZ, '06 Toyota 4Runner
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
That's very strange. o_0
SilverlightPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 08:41 PM   #2158
zussypoo

Drives:
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverlightPony View Post
That's very strange. o_0
Yeah, and it doesn't make sense. That was actually my mistake.
I guess the door speakers do in fact work, but they are probably operating at 20% of its volume connected to the stock stereo. That, and the AUX quality is complete garbage. Vocals are pretty much nonexistent in songs. What could be causing this?
zussypoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 10:18 PM   #2159
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
Thats an odd issue. I haven't tried aux cuz I got the wrong adapter lol! Could it be possible that the adapter you got is corrupting the signal your ipod is sending? How is the sound quality via Bluetooth or the radio?
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 12:35 AM   #2160
zussypoo

Drives:
Quote:
Originally Posted by go_a_way1 View Post
Thats an odd issue. I haven't tried aux cuz I got the wrong adapter lol! Could it be possible that the adapter you got is corrupting the signal your ipod is sending? How is the sound quality via Bluetooth or the radio?
Bluetooth, radio, USB, and iPod quality are all decent and consistent. Personally I feel like it is actually slightly inferior to stock stereo as the sound feels...muffled?
The AUX cables I had were working fine right before the installation on the stock stereo.
On a side note, is the plastic panel directly in contact around the stereo supposed to fit perfectly? Mine was popping out today driving over bumps.

Edit: I figured out how to replicate the problem. The speakers pretty much drop dead on AUX mode when the AUX cable is plugged all the way into the iPod/iPhone. If I plug it in so that it barely makes contact, then the sound is normal, but that means the tiniest movement on the cable will disconnect the iPod.

Last edited by zussypoo; 09-23-2015 at 01:54 AM.
Old 09-23-2015, 03:28 AM   #2161
humdizzle

Drives: 2018 GT3 / 2015 M3
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
seems like most of the pages in this thread are all complaints about defective parts, needing to trim the mounting bracket, problems with wiring, sound quality, or software issues. Does anyone have any positive reviews aside from the opening post???

Sad because this is a very pretty looking unit.

Im kind of new to car audio but do other headunits from big name manufacturers cause this much headache?

Past: 458 Italia, R35 GTR, E36/E46/F80 M3, 335i, Scion FRS
humdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 04:49 AM   #2162
SilverlightPony

Drives: '13 Subaru BRZ, '06 Toyota 4Runner
If you're only seeing negative stuff, you're either skimming, cherry-picking, or both. I, for one, absolutely love my Dashlinq4.
SilverlightPony is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SilverlightPony For This Useful Post:
Calum (09-23-2015)
Old 09-23-2015, 08:05 AM   #2163
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zussypoo View Post
Bluetooth, radio, USB, and iPod quality are all decent and consistent. Personally I feel like it is actually slightly inferior to stock stereo as the sound feels...muffled?
The AUX cables I had were working fine right before the installation on the stock stereo.
On a side note, is the plastic panel directly in contact around the stereo supposed to fit perfectly? Mine was popping out today driving over bumps.

Edit: I figured out how to replicate the problem. The speakers pretty much drop dead on AUX mode when the AUX cable is plugged all the way into the iPod/iPhone. If I plug it in so that it barely makes contact, then the sound is normal, but that means the tiniest movement on the cable will disconnect the iPod.
I agree about the sound quality vs stock. Glad I am not crazy and it isnt as good haha. Thats weird for the aux cable. I never use those but have you tried to put all your music on a SD card? Or do you need to use the aux cable for a specific reason? Just bend the brackets slightly to get your trim to fit. I had that issue too but its a 2 minute fix. I didnt trim it just a small bend so the unit sits further back by a few mm's.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:22 AM   #2164
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by humdizzle View Post
seems like most of the pages in this thread are all complaints about defective parts, needing to trim the mounting bracket, problems with wiring, sound quality, or software issues. Does anyone have any positive reviews aside from the opening post???

Sad because this is a very pretty looking unit.

Im kind of new to car audio but do other headunits from big name manufacturers cause this much headache?

Well it is a universal headunit so its not 100% plug and play but it is close. I love mine because I really only bought it to run dash command among other apps. Im not big on music and my exhaust setup sounds better then any song ever made IMO so I listen to that. I find I can get a fair bit more bass out of the door speakers at high volume so now i am unsure if I want to bother with a sub now haha. The headunit also looks much nicer then the OEM touch screen and the white back light on it is far more attractive and matches my gauge cluster face-lift I did. I also really like how you can press the right knob and shut the screen off. Small things make me like this unit. I also like how you can program the buttons to do what you want if you so desire.

Now another thing that bugs me is when its on and the car is off you can hear a static coming from it unless you turn volume to 0 but then the volume level display doesn't go away. That bothers me.

Overall I am like 89% satisfied with it. Now I think it is only like $400 USD so if I was in the states I would say its a fair price for a fair product. Im in canada so it is 30% more making it less attractive to me for the price I paid vs going to bestbuy and getting a slightly better (but it would not be android so thats a huge negative for me) quality head unit for my car. I am going to be installing a backup cam some time when it gets here in October and this headunit makes that easier vs the stock one as I dont have to buy any adaptors so that helps offset the price a bit too.

I hope this helps give you a slightly better idea about the product. If you got anymore questions let me know
Old 09-23-2015, 09:21 PM   #2165
zussypoo

Drives:
Quote:
I agree about the sound quality vs stock. Glad I am not crazy and it isnt as good haha. Thats weird for the aux cable. I never use those but have you tried to put all your music on a SD card? Or do you need to use the aux cable for a specific reason? Just bend the brackets slightly to get your trim to fit. I had that issue too but its a 2 minute fix. I didnt trim it just a small bend so the unit sits further back by a few mm's.
I need to use the AUX to control which playlist on my iPod I want to play. Most of my music is on my iPod anyways so I can't really use any other method to listen to music. If nobody here has experienced the same issue of door speakers working at 10% plugged in all the way, and working 100% slightly plugged in, are there any other places I should ask?
Old 09-23-2015, 10:01 PM   #2166
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zussypoo View Post
I need to use the AUX to control which playlist on my iPod I want to play. Most of my music is on my iPod anyways so I can't really use any other method to listen to music. If nobody here has experienced the same issue of door speakers working at 10% plugged in all the way, and working 100% slightly plugged in, are there any other places I should ask?
Contact them from their website. It takes a few days for a response but they might beable to help you?
Old 09-23-2015, 10:19 PM   #2167
Impureclient
Banned

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Thanked 2,903 Times in 1,282 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I don't have any real complaints. I had trouble wiring the reverse camera but that wasn't the units fault. I just needed more clear directions for doing that. The only issue i have is the volume goes up to 14 when you turn the unit back on which is loud but apparently a update fixes that and leaves it at the last level you listened to. I would buy this again in a heartbeat.
Impureclient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 08:35 AM   #2168
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impureclient View Post
I don't have any real complaints. I had trouble wiring the reverse camera but that wasn't the units fault. I just needed more clear directions for doing that. The only issue i have is the volume goes up to 14 when you turn the unit back on which is loud but apparently a update fixes that and leaves it at the last level you listened to. I would buy this again in a heartbeat.
Do you have a CT or Q4? My volume seems to stay where i leave it?
Old 09-24-2015, 12:07 PM   #2169
Impureclient
Banned

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Thanked 2,903 Times in 1,282 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Do you have a CT or Q4? My volume seems to stay where i leave it?
Q4. That issue looks like it is fixed in the update. I just haven't got around to doing it though.
Impureclient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 12:08 PM   #2170
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impureclient View Post
Q4. That issue looks like it is fixed in the update. I just haven't got around to doing it though.
Ahh I see. I got a CT. You should update yours haha!