follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 06-18-2014, 06:02 PM   #15
giorgi0424

Drives: '14 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
they have to prove you did it, not the other way around. I think you have a case, I'd talk to them. calmly. before escalating to corporate, but that's just me
thanks. As for proving, I can prove more successfully that the webbing was caused by them, then they can prove it was caused by me.
giorgi0424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 06:06 PM   #16
giorgi0424

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
as for a respray, I just got mine done (firestorm) because of large road debris damage to the front. (now eagerly awaiting curing so I can do paint protection film)
I'm pretty happy with it.
I bought it brand new with 12 miles on it, and it now has just 650 or so. I don't want to be "pretty happy", I want to be ecstatic with my purchase of a new car, you know? lol. I hate to sound like such a bitch but like jeez, we DO buy new cars for a reason, don't we? So that all of this crap can be avoided unless it's caused by the owner?

Please don't think i'm lashing out at you! I'm just going to have to talk to them and convince them it wasn't me, and that this car has one too many faults for it to be sold as "new". I doubt i'm the only one who doesn't want a new car with resprayed body panels. When it comes time to sell it, that will all have to be disclosed because if it's done at a dealership, carfax will be notified.
The Following User Says Thank You to giorgi0424 For This Useful Post:
FR-SBPK93 (06-20-2014)
Old 06-18-2014, 06:36 PM   #17
Mr.Zoolittle

Drives: Five Axis FR-S, MR2 Turbo, TacomaDC
Subaru paint thin and chips/scratches easy. From my experience they ding up easy and rust/rot out. My grandparents have owned Subaru's for as long as I can remember. Least favorite part about this car. Wish it was a Toyota.
Mr.Zoolittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 06:38 PM   #18
Veloist

Drives: ‘93 MR2, ‘22 GR86, ‘23 GR Corolla
Thanked 1,713 Times in 668 Posts
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
What you can do is put the blame on the salesman. Tell him he failed to thoroughly expect the car before he did the delivery step to you. That's his job, it's part of the delivery step. After it gets cleaned and detailed, it's his responsibility to check the condition of the car.

Do they have surveys for the salesmen? You threaten him to give him a low score if there are.

You need to be aggressive if you want it to go your way. Otherwise they will be really passive toward you and say they can't do anything. They definitely can!

I just saw your mileage and I think it will be harder to defend yourself, and it will be easier for the dealership to defend themselves. Did they do a follow-up call or anything?

You can tell them they not only to neglected to thoroughly check the car before delivery, but also neglected to follow-up on the purchase, which may indicate they were hiding something that happened to the car and they don't car anymore now that it's sold.

I'll tell you right now, you don't have a legitimate case for a replacement car. They will repair imperfections though. Many cars get damaged during loading and transport from the truck. What most people might not know is that many of these cars that get damaged are repaired by a partner body shop from the dealership, and sold as new.

Other than having a registered owner, the only time a car will not be sold as new is when it is stolen.

Last edited by Veloist; 06-18-2014 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Bunch of edits
Veloist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 06:44 PM   #19
billwot

Drives: '11 Cayman , '14 Camry, '11 Tacoma
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Actually, a re-sprayed bumper would probably be a higher quality paint job than OEM.
billwot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 06:46 PM   #20
Masago88

Drives: '14 WRB BRZ LTD, '98 Camry
I picked up mine last weekend, and have a similar issue. Right at the wheel well at the very bottom tip corner of the front Driver's side bumper there is a slight paint crack; which luckily my detailer/opticoat pro guy found when he was doing the work. Luckily, since it is plastic, it's mostly going to be cosmetic. Trust me it would be a far bigger problem if the crack was to the metal. Cracks over time form stress concentrations which tend to spread (temperature, environment, etc) and allows for corrosion to occur to base metal. I'm taking a day off work this coming monday for them to blend/ touch up. I was going to argue for a new bumper but didn't' want to deal with the hassle and the spot is honestly very small so even if the paint doesn't match quite right I'll be content so long as the crack is repaired. Good luck.
Masago88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 06:48 PM   #21
giorgi0424

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloist View Post
I believe you can fight this. How many miles on your car now?

What you can do is put the blame on the salesman. Tell him he failed to thoroughly expect the car before he did the delivery step to you. That's his job, it's part of the delivery step. After it gets cleaned and detailed, it's his responsibility to check the condition of the car.

Do they have surveys for the salesmen? You threaten him to give him a low score if there are.

It's a plus if you have low miles, so you can say that you don't use it or you can say you've never parked in a lot yet.

You need to be aggressive if you want it to go your way. Otherwise they will be really passive toward you and say they can't do anything. They definitely can!

Edit: I just saw your mileage and I think it will be harder to defend yourself, and it will be easier for the dealership to defend themselves. Did they do a follow-up call or anything?

You can tell them they not only to neglected to thoroughly check the car before delivery, but also neglected to follow-up on the purchase, which may indicate they were hiding something that happened to the car and they don't car anymore now that it's sold.
650 miles is a lot???? lol. The salesman followed up when I stopped by to pick up touch up paint for the car a week ago asking how i liked it. I said i loved it and had pointed out the dent. He said they'd pull it for free because it was probably inflicted during shipment/transport. However, it was not mentioned during purchase of my vehicle.

Me being as OCD as I am and having washed my car 4 times within the first 2 weeks of buying it, I think the webbing of the paint occurred recently, most likely caused by the sun/heat. But the underlying cause of it i'm confident in saying was the chipped paint most likely caused by impact (unless of course it happened while my car was parked, but I'm 100% sure it didn't, becuase there is no new damage on the car, and spider webbing wouldn't happen at a direct point of impact without there being any other directional scratches or something to give away that there was impact directly AT THAT location)

Salesman recently notified me that i'd be receiving a survey and if I'm not satisfied, to not write a bad review, but rather bring up my complaints so they can help. I replied to that email today with my issue
Old 06-18-2014, 06:49 PM   #22
CAMBAM_6
CAMBAM

Drives: '13 Whiteout FRS
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Pictures?

My only questions are; how long has this BRZ been sitting on the lot in PA and why you didnt notice these things sooner? are u sure some of the damage didnt happen during your ownership? (not meaning you necessarily did the damage but somewhere you parked the car possibly)

I dont see you getting another New BRZ at all but they should repair paint job for you atleast
Old 06-18-2014, 06:51 PM   #23
giorgi0424

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masago88 View Post
I picked up mine last weekend, and have a similar issue. Right at the wheel well at the very bottom tip corner of the front Driver's side bumper there is a slight paint crack; which luckily my detailer/opticoat pro guy found when he was doing the work. Luckily, since it is plastic, it's mostly going to be cosmetic. Trust me it would be a far bigger problem if the crack was to the metal. Cracks over time form stress concentrations which tend to spread (temperature, environment, etc) and allows for corrosion to occur to base metal. I'm taking a day off work this coming monday for them to blend/ touch up. I was going to argue for a new bumper but didn't' want to deal with the hassle and the spot is honestly very small so even if the paint doesn't match quite right I'll be content so long as the crack is repaired. Good luck.
Yeah mine is on the bumper so it's plastic. The webbing probably goes around 5 inches in length, and it actually extends underneath the subaru logo, starting from the left of it
Old 06-18-2014, 06:56 PM   #24
Veloist

Quote:
Originally Posted by giorgi0424 View Post
650 miles is a lot???? lol. The salesman followed up when I stopped by to pick up touch up paint for the car a week ago asking how i liked it. I said i loved it and had pointed out the dent. He said they'd pull it for free because it was probably inflicted during shipment/transport. However, it was not mentioned during purchase of my vehicle.

Me being as OCD as I am and having washed my car 4 times within the first 2 weeks of buying it, I think the webbing of the paint occurred recently, most likely caused by the sun/heat. But the underlying cause of it i'm confident in saying was the chipped paint most likely caused by impact (unless of course it happened while my car was parked, but I'm 100% sure it didn't, becuase there is no new damage on the car, and spider webbing wouldn't happen at a direct point of impact without there being any other directional scratches or something to give away that there was impact directly AT THAT location)

Salesman recently notified me that i'd be receiving a survey and if I'm not satisfied, to not write a bad review, but rather bring up my complaints so they can help. I replied to that email today with my issue
Yes 638 (650-12) miles in two weeks subtract 12 equals 638...divided by 2 is 319 miles per week, times 52 is 16,588 a year which is more than the average mileage a year among drivers. It might seem ridiculous but this is how many salesmen tackle trade-in cars, so it only seems right that it's used to judge how much the car is driven.

It looks like you can nail them for neglecting to check the car before delivery to you. So you can use this to negotiate a fix, but I can assure you that you won't be getting a new car lol.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:58 PM   #25
fz6r

Drives: 13 10 series FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
You should have 30 days to address all issues with the car once purchased.
fz6r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:01 PM   #26
Veloist

Lol I'm so sorry but I didn't realize you bought it 3 weeks ago? Which is like 11,000 miles a year which is below average! So yes 650 is pretty low. Use that as an argument too.

Sorry for the mix up.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:51 PM   #27
jblmr2

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
OP, you've gotten yourself pretty worked up without even talking with your dealer about the issues. Perhaps the next thing is to open a dialog. I don't know if the problem is a result of something that was done before or after you took delivery, but nothing is going to get solved by on going discussion here. You bought the car through the GM, start with him, you're already ahead in the game dealing with the head guy. Be realistic with your expectations, they aren't going to give you a different "new" car. If they offer to repaint your bumper, jump on it! As another poster said, it will be better than factory paint. Good luck!!!
jblmr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 08:55 PM   #28
giorgi0424

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblmr2 View Post
OP, you've gotten yourself pretty worked up without even talking with your dealer about the issues. Perhaps the next thing is to open a dialog. I don't know if the problem is a result of something that was done before or after you took delivery, but nothing is going to get solved by on going discussion here. You bought the car through the GM, start with him, you're already ahead in the game dealing with the head guy. Be realistic with your expectations, they aren't going to give you a different "new" car. If they offer to repaint your bumper, jump on it! As another poster said, it will be better than factory paint. Good luck!!!
ok yeah, i guess my best bet is a repainted bumper, or a new bumper. thanks

Tags
brz, damage, issues, paint