follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 03-13-2019, 07:40 AM   #1
Znu

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S A/T
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Tire Help!

Hi all, I just found a bubble on the sidewall of my Hankook Ventas v2’s, so I’m thinking it’s time for new tires! I love the Hankooks, but I’m wondering if there are other options that are more “rider friendly”.

I’ve been having to make a 12 mile drive to my cat’s vet 3x a week these past few weeks and will have to continue doing so for the next few months, so I’m wondering if changing the height of my sidewalls will make the ride any smoother and be relatively quiet in terms of road noise. And how big can I go on stock 17’ wheels without rub??

Once the cat is ok, I do plan on installing my Tein S. Tech lowering springs, so I’d like to keep that ~1” drop in mind. Thanks in advance!
Znu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 09:59 AM   #2
Vital

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Znu View Post
Hi all, I just found a bubble on the sidewall of my Hankook Ventas v2’s, so I’m thinking it’s time for new tires! I love the Hankooks, but I’m wondering if there are other options that are more “rider friendly”.

I’ve been having to make a 12 mile drive to my cat’s vet 3x a week these past few weeks and will have to continue doing so for the next few months, so I’m wondering if changing the height of my sidewalls will make the ride any smoother and be relatively quiet in terms of road noise. And how big can I go on stock 17’ wheels without rub??

Once the cat is ok, I do plan on installing my Tein S. Tech lowering springs, so I’d like to keep that ~1” drop in mind. Thanks in advance!
Your only choice will be 225/45/17. They are just slightly taller than the stock size tire so this might give the ride quality you are looking for, but that also depends on what brand tires you get. Also, this will not rub with your Tein springs either.
Vital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:04 AM   #3
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,168 Times in 1,114 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
225 section as mentioned already is about as wide as you'd want to go, 215 really is optimal for a 7" wheel though.

The hankooks are around a 300 tread wear. The Falken FK510's are in a similar category and price range(cheaper actually)

I'm currently looking at a set of those my self, after considering the hankooks for a while.
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 12:24 PM   #4
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Sidewall height may help a little with comfort, but sidewall stiffness also plays a factor.

Tread pattern determines road noise mostly.

I would say try the Continental ExtremeContact. They tend to have a slightly softer sidewall for a summer performance tire.

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 12:33 PM   #5
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,883 Times in 2,027 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
Sidewall height may help a little with comfort, but sidewall stiffness also plays a factor.
This x1000. Ride comfort is more a function of tire construction than size. Check Tire Rack test reports, customer surveys, and reviews.

Quote:
I would say try the Continental ExtremeContact. They tend to have a slightly softer sidewall for a summer performance tire.
Ah, but there's more than one Conti "ExtremeContact"...

ExtremeContact DW: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=190
What We Liked: Impressive wet traction and comfortable road manners
What We'd Improve: More precise steering response and handling
Conclusion: A great choice for anyone wanting solid overall capability

ExtremeContact Sport: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=223
What We Liked: Responsive steering and very strong wet traction.
What We'd Improve: Road manners aren't as refined as the other tires in this test.
Conclusion: Continental has really stepped up their Max Performance Summer game with this one.
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
wparsons (03-13-2019)
Old 03-13-2019, 12:45 PM   #6
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
This x1000. Ride comfort is more a function of tire construction than size. Check Tire Rack test reports, customer surveys, and reviews.

Ah, but there's more than one Conti "ExtremeContact"...

ExtremeContact DW: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=190
What We Liked: Impressive wet traction and comfortable road manners
What We'd Improve: More precise steering response and handling
Conclusion: A great choice for anyone wanting solid overall capability

ExtremeContact Sport: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=223
What We Liked: Responsive steering and very strong wet traction.
What We'd Improve: Road manners aren't as refined as the other tires in this test.
Conclusion: Continental has really stepped up their Max Performance Summer game with this one.
Sorry. I forget there is the new one. The DW is the comfy one. The poor steering response is a trade off for softer sidewall. It's not horrible though

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to finch1750 For This Useful Post:
wparsons (03-13-2019)
Old 03-14-2019, 09:58 PM   #7
Znu

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S A/T
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks y’all! Just ordered some continental dws06! Really wanted the falken just to look cool, but comfort is my main concern.... for now....... really appreciate the feedback!
Znu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comfort, lowered, tires, wheels, wheels and tires