follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 04-13-2017, 10:24 AM   #1
jamison884

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Toyota drivetrain warranty denied - suggestions?

Last edited by jamison884; 10-23-2017 at 04:04 PM.
jamison884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 10:57 AM   #2
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,674 Times in 994 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Wow all I can say is good luck and keep us posted. How can they claim oil starvation if you have a documented oil change.
StraightOuttaCanadaEh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 11:04 AM   #3
CokeSlap

Drives: 2014 Monogram FRS Whiteout
I am surprised by Toyota's unwillingness to help. At the moment it seems like things are definitely out of your hands and logical to go the lawyer route. I want to believe the odds are in your favor being under the power train warranty, but may they know there was an issue with the earlier engines that they do not want to admit. Good luck I hope everything gets sorted out for you.

1992 Acura Integra GSR in Aztec Green Pearl
CokeSlap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CokeSlap For This Useful Post:
sato (04-17-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 11:11 AM   #4
Icecreamtruk

Drives: Track preped NA FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
You are on the right track for something blocking oil circulation probably, that would be my guess as well (still just a guess). Im glad the dealer is willing to let you fight the decision but I would just like to point out, that a fully built engine would cost less than that engine replacement. Heck, including a brand new block with forged internals can be had for that price, so I dont know whats up with that, I wouldn't pay $10k for a used engine, or $12k for a new one. You said you planned to go down the turbo or SC route later, why not go ahead and build it? Dont feel tied to the dealer for the $1k they charged you for dismounting it. You will loose a lot more if you decided to go ahead and shell out $12k for a new engine.
Icecreamtruk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Icecreamtruk For This Useful Post:
sato (04-17-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 11:16 AM   #5
jasonojordan

Drives: 2013 satin white brz limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Also feel free to try another dealer and see where it goes. Could be tough with the engine already in pieces though.
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 11:27 AM   #6
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonojordan View Post
Also feel free to try another dealer and see where it goes. Could be tough with the engine already in pieces though.
Since Toyota is already involved, it probably won't go anywhere else (unless you just meant the cost of the replacement). Toyota would have to approve this level of warranty work before the dealer would do it.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 11:36 AM   #7
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Some of the 13s have a recurring issue with oil starvation that is well documented on here. I bet it was the number 4 bearing that went but you have the cause and effect backwards. The bearing went due too oil starvation not the bearing went and caused the starvation. Many of the incidents recorded here reference excessive silicone sealant that blocks the number 4 bearing oil channels causing the failure.
You are doing the right thing by lawyering up in this case as it really should be warranty work based on past history. You are not the first that they denied warranty for this though and not everybody won.

I will add my standard caution here. Be careful what you write here. This is a public forum and accessible to the Toyota legal department. If things get nasty they can and will twist things you say in a negative light and use them against you.
Dadhawk (04-13-2017), DarkSunrise (04-16-2017), strat61caster (04-14-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 11:37 AM   #8
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,821 Times in 16,427 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Hello jamison884 and welcome to our forum......

Too bad your car's engine gave out .....

Something isn't adding up. Since your car wasn't modified, and the crankcase had oil in it ...... and it came unglued due to oil starvation, how could it be your fault ..... ??

I suspect the denial of warranty coverage has something to do with the language of the warranty. The devil may be in the details of the fine print of that "warranty" ......

Good luck.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 01:09 PM   #9
jasonojordan

Drives: 2013 satin white brz limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Since Toyota is already involved, it probably won't go anywhere else (unless you just meant the cost of the replacement). Toyota would have to approve this level of warranty work before the dealer would do it.
Depends on the level of Toyota he is working with. Some dealers are willing to go to bat for their customers and push it to higher levels then just the consumer can achieve sometimes.
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jasonojordan For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (04-13-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 09:06 PM   #10
jamison884

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Thanks for the comments.

Just to follow-up on some items, I don't plan on going with their 10k/12k engine options if this doesn't get worked out, as I know that is excessive.

The case with Toyota is recorded with both my name and VIN attached, so a different dealership wouldn't get me anywhere. My dealership seems to be supportive and hasn't tried to rush my car or engine out of their garage, but at the same time I don't think they've actively fought for warranty coverage. I think its worth one final call to the dealership to let them know this isn't going anywhere without their potential assistance and see what they have to say.

When I initially opened the case I know they made it seem like it was a big issue that I didn't have my oil changed at the dealership, stating that I should contact the garage who performed the oil change to get this resolved, even though this wasn't an oil leak issue. I don't think this was the sticking point though, as the supposed engineer had denied the warranty claim already without asking/knowing about the oil change history. In fact, I don't have any proof the engineer even had knowledge of the correct volume of oil being in the engine at the time of failure since he checked the engine out after it had been drained.

I also had two separate Toyota reps. tell me to try and go through my insurance company when this wouldn't come close to comprehensive/collision coverage, so I guess they're just trying to place responsibility anywhere else but Toyota.
jamison884 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jamison884 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (04-14-2017), strat61caster (04-14-2017), Tcoat (04-13-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 09:21 PM   #11
Lantana frs

Drives: 13 frs red
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
My 13 had a new motor installed under warranty after an unsuccessful short block replacement under warranty as well. Imo if the car is financed through Toyota and you are the original buyer, the bullshit is minimized. Used and purchased from another brand dealer creates problems imo.
Lantana frs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 11:42 AM   #12
sirsol66

Drives: 2013 FRS- Hot Lava
My suggestion at this point: Get a written statement from the dealership saying the vehicle had the correct amount of oil in it at their check, and then lawyer up. It's gonna be a long haul.
sirsol66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 07:53 PM   #13
BRZnut

Drives: BRZ DGM Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Another '13 bites the dust. You are not the first one to have this issue, and I'm sure you won't be the last.

As TC pointed out, there was a post on here showing evidence of excessive silicone inside the engine blocking proper oil flow. And others showing a stuck valve on the cams that could effect oil flow too.

Sad that these issues keep happening and Toyota/Subaru often don't stand by their products.

Good luck and keep us posted!
BRZnut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BRZnut For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (04-14-2017)
Old 04-14-2017, 08:25 PM   #14
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I'd be hunting for a used engine for ~$3k and a shop willing to do the install if you couldn't do it yourself, I'd be surprised if it was anything more than $2k to bolt it in.

It blows that they're blaming you, but understandable without evidence of past oil changes given that it's a used car. This is one of the reasons a full service history is recommended on used cars and why several here wouldn't want a second hand 86. The shitty thing is I think odds are low it was anything the prior owner did as this is a not unheard of failure.

Hopefully if Toyota doesn't drag their feet (either way) and you can get a solution worked out in a few days and be back on the road asap. This car wrecked my faith in factory warranties, if my engine blew up this weekend I wouldn't bother calling up the dealership.

strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Cole (04-14-2017), Icecreamtruk (04-17-2017)