follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Southern California

Southern California SoCal

User Tag List

Old 03-24-2015, 11:09 PM   #15
mrunal91

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artie_z View Post
Had my wind shield replaced at 3,500 miles
Two years ago cost of this was $445 at the time.
Makes sence the glass has gotten cheaper. Over all optical clairity of Pilkingtin is great however, glass seems soft lots of chips. And I don't follow closely to people on the road. O.em glass is $600 or so so at $325 it's an ok deal.
Toyota does indeed use Pilkingtin glass, however oversees it's NSG
Thanks for your response and unbiased insight.
Did you have it replaced with Pilkington on your 86, or was it some other car? Do you think the chips are because of the quality of roads where you drive? I drive mostly highways and dont deal with unpaved or poorly paved roads.
mrunal91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 11:47 PM   #16
Artie_z

Drives: 2013 ultramarine. FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Pilkington glass

Actually replaced the glass
In my fr-s/86, celica and Venza
In that same year (really bad luck)
Well the celica was a restoration

I would say the road are not terribly hash
I just believe auto glass is softer than it used to me.
The FR.-S got a tiny chip in it one day by the afternoon the glass broke in half.
Same with the Venzas.

Artie_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 02:29 PM   #17
mrunal91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesalera View Post
If you are still in the market for a new windshield I own a family owned shop here In long beach we can go mobile for free any where in the oc/inland empire/LA county. Shop name is international auto glass you can find us on yelp. Windshield runs for about 345 installed Pilkington north American made glass. Let me know if you are interested. Thanks! Eddie-
Where in North America is the Pilkington you provide produced?
What is the difference in quality between the Pilkington you guys provide (i am assuming Mexico) and the Pilkington which is made in the UK
Old 03-25-2015, 09:06 PM   #18
xcooperx

Drives: FR-S 2015
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Is pilkinton better than the oem? And what is pgw?
xcooperx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 07:21 PM   #19
mrunal91

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarb View Post
dr auto glass in arcadia.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/doctor-auto-glass-arcadia-2
It was only $150. But that was for a older car. Newer cars would be more expensive. Quality was a little less than stock, but it was also on a lexus. No complaints for a buck fiddy.
In and out in less than an hour. Give them a call, they should be able to give you a good price.
Let us know how much you end up paying. Good luck.
So i havent replaced my windsheild yet but i have received the following quotes from multiple places:

FYG - $300.00 installed (they come to you)
Pilkington - $320.00 installed (they come to you)
Old 03-26-2015, 08:19 PM   #20
swarb

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,271 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrunal91 View Post
So i havent replaced my windsheild yet but i have received the following quotes from multiple places:

FYG - $300.00 installed (they come to you)
Pilkington - $320.00 installed (they come to you)
Did you call doctor auto glass?
swarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:44 PM   #21
xcooperx

My friend needed a windshield replacement too, called some auto glass shop and quoted us:

Five Star Auto Glass in Glendale : Pilkington (Mexico) $325 + tax installed or PGW w/ Blue tint for the same price
Dr. Auto Glass in Arcadia: Aftermarket (China brand) $280 installed
Vista Auto Glass in La Puente: FYG $280 + tax installed
Browns Mobile Auto Glass: Want us to order OEM at the dealership since our frs is 2015 and he will install it for $125
Toyota Puente Hills: OEM $690 + tax installed
Professional Auto Glass: Aftermarket $280 + tax cash only installed
Glass Surgeon: Pilkington (US) w/ lifetime warranty $450 + tax installed

We went and called Glass Surgeon, Julio the owner is really nice, he already had experience with FRS so installation is breeze for him but he takes his time (total installation is 1hour). We are really satisfied with the installation, it actually looks better now than before, we don't see anymore gap from the side, the glass is exactly like the OEM since its the OEE I believe. His also super detailed with the whole process, he make sure everything is perfect . He did some custom on the rubber at the sides to make it look better than the factory installation. We are 100% satisfied. He goes to your place for the installation.

Note: Reason we pick Pilkington (Previously known as LOF and NSG) is because the car is lease and you can only replace it with same manufacturer of the OEM glass and of course the Quality.
Attached Images

Last edited by xcooperx; 03-26-2015 at 10:05 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xcooperx For This Useful Post:
8R6 (03-26-2015), mrunal91 (03-27-2015)
Old 03-27-2015, 11:33 AM   #22
mrunal91

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarb View Post
Did you call doctor auto glass?
yup they are the ones who quoted me 320 for the Pilkington - i need to call them back and find out if its Pilkington made in the USA or in Mexico. Thanks for the contact info
Old 03-27-2015, 11:36 AM   #23
mrunal91

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcooperx View Post
My friend needed a windshield replacement too, called some auto glass shop and quoted us:

Five Star Auto Glass in Glendale : Pilkington (Mexico) $325 + tax installed or PGW w/ Blue tint for the same price
Dr. Auto Glass in Arcadia: Aftermarket (China brand) $280 installed
Vista Auto Glass in La Puente: FYG $280 + tax installed
Browns Mobile Auto Glass: Want us to order OEM at the dealership since our frs is 2015 and he will install it for $125
Toyota Puente Hills: OEM $690 + tax installed
Professional Auto Glass: Aftermarket $280 + tax cash only installed
Glass Surgeon: Pilkington (US) w/ lifetime warranty $450 + tax installed

We went and called Glass Surgeon, Julio the owner is really nice, he already had experience with FRS so installation is breeze for him but he takes his time (total installation is 1hour). We are really satisfied with the installation, it actually looks better now than before, we don't see anymore gap from the side, the glass is exactly like the OEM since its the OEE I believe. His also super detailed with the whole process, he make sure everything is perfect . He did some custom on the rubber at the sides to make it look better than the factory installation. We are 100% satisfied. He goes to your place for the installation.

Note: Reason we pick Pilkington (Previously known as LOF and NSG) is because the car is lease and you can only replace it with same manufacturer of the OEM glass and of course the Quality.
Did you ever compare the Pilkington Mexico vs Pilkington USA glass? I am just wondering if it is worth the $150 premium to get the USA glass
Old 03-27-2015, 02:48 PM   #24
xcooperx

Quote:
Did you ever compare the Pilkington Mexico vs Pilkington USA glass? I am just wondering if it is worth the $150 premium to get the USA glass

Nah, to be honest I don't even know the comparison, the only thing that make us go and pay more is the quality of the labor and materials that they used. we watched the whole installation, the owner is so detailed and the installation is so clean.

Only thing we know when we are doing some research, is Pilkington US supplies 70% of glasses to car manufacturers such as BMW, Toyotas, Lexus and Etc. and of course they offer lifetime warranty.
Old 03-31-2015, 01:33 AM   #25
xcooperx

Update:

We just noticed right now that there is like a popping/cracking sound coming from the driver side dashboard, I called the glass company that installed the windshield and told me to let the sealant cure for a week, good thing I got the lifetime warranty, im just wondering though on what is the cause of the noise, did some research and possible causes are height of the glass, also something to do with not using the spacer, I wonder what went wrong?
Old 03-31-2015, 04:18 PM   #26
Superman

Drives: Whiteout Scion FR-S 6MT/GSX-R 1000
Thank you for this thread topic. I have had a crack in my windshield for nearly 6 months because I am very cautious about who touches my car and have not found a shop that I was willing to take a risk with. Most people that I know have had bad experiences and only had recommendations of where NOT to go, instead of where to go...kind of sad. There are so many places and most of them have pretty bad reviews/complaints. I never knew repairing/replacing auto glass was so difficult, but apparently so many people are cutting corners in one way or another in this business based on reviews. Thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread it was very useful info. Not sure where I am going to go yet...luckily my windshield crack is not in my field of vision...lol...yet
Superman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 01:24 PM   #27
mrunal91

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcooperx View Post
Update:

We just noticed right now that there is like a popping/cracking sound coming from the driver side dashboard, I called the glass company that installed the windshield and told me to let the sealant cure for a week, good thing I got the lifetime warranty, im just wondering though on what is the cause of the noise, did some research and possible causes are height of the glass, also something to do with not using the spacer, I wonder what went wrong?
Any updates with your windshield? Was it an install issue or was the glass defective? hope you got it resolved.
Old 04-15-2015, 07:26 PM   #28
xcooperx

Quote:
Any updates with your windshield? Was it an install issue or was the glass defective? hope you got it resolved.

upon further assessment, the rattle noise is coming from the window switches (driver side) not from the dashboard or pillars.

Tags
aftermarket, cost, crack, windshield