follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 11-11-2016, 07:12 PM   #1
riskyfrs

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Need Vortech Tuning Help!

I have just installed a V-3 Vortech Supercharger kit on my 2013 FRS 6MT, and i have decided to pair it with my Open Flash Performance tablet for tuning. I followed the install instructions, and help from any install videos I could find, and it went in with little to no issues.
I tested to see if the car would start up with the stock MAP still installed, but it would only crank. I decided to run a hondata 4bar MAP sensor and have rescaled the MAP through ROM Raider. In doing so, I have managed to get the car to start (merely to test if the car would even start) but the car dies out only seconds later.
This brings me to the issue of tuning, the issue being that have been unable to locate the actual OFT tunes for the vortech supercahrger. A fellow ft86 forum member has supplied me with a OFT tuning file for the vortech kit, but the ROM file is calibrated as a A01C.bin, whereas my flash tablet only seems to be compatible with Rom files calibrated to B01C.bin files. How could I go about making the file compliant with my software? Or possibly make my software compliant with my file?
riskyfrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 07:18 PM   #2
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by riskyfrs View Post
I have just installed a V-3 Vortech Supercharger kit on my 2013 FRS 6MT, and i have decided to pair it with my Open Flash Performance tablet for tuning. I followed the install instructions, and help from any install videos I could find, and it went in with little to no issues.
I tested to see if the car would start up with the stock MAP still installed, but it would only crank. I decided to run a hondata 4bar MAP sensor and have rescaled the MAP through ROM Raider. In doing so, I have managed to get the car to start (merely to test if the car would even start) but the car dies out only seconds later.
This brings me to the issue of tuning, the issue being that have been unable to locate the actual OFT tunes for the vortech supercahrger. A fellow ft86 forum member has supplied me with a OFT tuning file for the vortech kit, but the ROM file is calibrated as a A01C.bin, whereas my flash tablet only seems to be compatible with Rom files calibrated to B01C.bin files. How could I go about making the file compliant with my software? Or possibly make my software compliant with my file?
You need to contact the guy that makes the OFT he is the only one that supports them lol
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 08:18 PM   #3
yelsew
Little Member

Drives: Bloo - The 13' BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Need Vortech Tuning Help!

Get in contact with the openflash team. The vortech ots maps are available for those who ask, in the correct cal id.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
People just need some #drivermod in their life.
yelsew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 07:43 PM   #4
vgi

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quote:
the ROM file is calibrated as a A01C.bin, whereas my flash tablet only seems to be compatible with Rom files calibrated to B01C.bin files. How could I go about making the file compliant with my software? Or possibly make my software compliant with my file?
I'm surprised you can't open A01C tune in OFT and flash it over your stock B01C tune, as B01C is just a revised version for the same ECU and you should be able to flash an older version.

perhaps @shiv could shed some light on that.

1. I would rather suggest finding B01C OFT tune, this way you would definitely have all the changes of B tune revision
2. However, you could open votech A01C tune in RomRader and open a stock A01C tune in RomRaider and then compare them - you would get a list of tables that are different. Then open a stock B01C tune and copy over those tables that are different from vortech A01C tune into B01C tune
3. Finally, you could try this - open your A01C in the hex editor and replace all A01C text with B01C text and then flash. Although I'm not sure if this would be 100% safe as different revision may have different tables offsets, but for flashing should be ok I think
vgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 05:51 PM   #5
riskyfrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgi View Post
I'm surprised you can't open A01C tune in OFT and flash it over your stock B01C tune, as B01C is just a revised version for the same ECU and you should be able to flash an older version.

perhaps @shiv could shed some light on that.

1. I would rather suggest finding B01C OFT tune, this way you would definitely have all the changes of B tune revision
2. However, you could open votech A01C tune in RomRader and open a stock A01C tune in RomRaider and then compare them - you would get a list of tables that are different. Then open a stock B01C tune and copy over those tables that are different from vortech A01C tune into B01C tune
3. Finally, you could try this - open your A01C in the hex editor and replace all A01C text with B01C text and then flash. Although I'm not sure if this would be 100% safe as different revision may have different tables offsets, but for flashing should be ok I think
Thanks! I was thinking about manually converting the file just to get it running. I've been waiting for a response from the Open Flash guys but I'm too impatient haha. I actually have an ECUTek tuned ECU, but I need to get the car running to get it to a dealership so I can get the tuned ECU programmed for my car, and installed.
I've never had that done, so do you know if it's possible for a tuned ECU to be programmed to a different car?
Old 11-14-2016, 06:17 PM   #6
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Thanks! I was thinking about manually converting the file just to get it running. I've been waiting for a response from the Open Flash guys but I'm too impatient haha. I actually have an ECUTek tuned ECU, but I need to get the car running to get it to a dealership so I can get the tuned ECU programmed for my car, and installed.
I've never had that done, so do you know if it's possible for a tuned ECU to be programmed to a different car?

If your ecu is tuned with ecutek then the oft or tactrix wont be acble to write to ECU as its likely locked , unless a not racerom tune was flashed. But if you do flash the ecu with oft/tactrix over an unlocked ecutek rom you will loose your ecutek licience.

If you have an ecutek cable just flash the old A01C rom to car (don't add racerom features.) even if the car is B01C its compatable.

But if you have ecutek cable then your tuner could just send you a base rom.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 10:03 AM   #7
vgi

Quote:
Like Steve has written, if your ECU had been flashed with EcuTek then either you won't be able to flash your ECU with anything else, or, if the EcuTek stock tune is currently on your EcuTek, you will be able to flash your ECU with OFT/tactrix but you will loose your EcuTek license.

To get OFT guys attention you need at least ping them (like @shiv) but then I doubt he'd help you unless you actually bought OFT and Vortech kit from him, and since you now mentioned EcuTek - he most likely will just ignore you

You could convert OFT tune (since it's officially open tune) to EcuTek by simply copying tables from RomRaider into EcuTek. However you would most likely need RaceRom features of EcuTek, which is an additional license which is like another $300 or so extra.

Or, even though it is time consuming, you could try asking some member that has RaceRom license, say @Kodename47, to do it for you. He's a great guy and unless he's really busy or got lazy (winter time after all) I would think he could go for it.
Old 11-15-2016, 03:21 PM   #8
riskyfrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgi View Post
Like Steve has written, if your ECU had been flashed with EcuTek then either you won't be able to flash your ECU with anything else, or, if the EcuTek stock tune is currently on your EcuTek, you will be able to flash your ECU with OFT/tactrix but you will loose your EcuTek license.

To get OFT guys attention you need at least ping them (like @shiv) but then I doubt he'd help you unless you actually bought OFT and Vortech kit from him, and since you now mentioned EcuTek - he most likely will just ignore you

You could convert OFT tune (since it's officially open tune) to EcuTek by simply copying tables from RomRaider into EcuTek. However you would most likely need RaceRom features of EcuTek, which is an additional license which is like another $300 or so extra.

Or, even though it is time consuming, you could try asking some member that has RaceRom license, say @Kodename47, to do it for you. He's a great guy and unless he's really busy or got lazy (winter time after all) I would think he could go for it.
I do not currently have the ECUtek tuned ECU installed. I'm still running my stock ECU paired with an OFT.

Sadly, the person i acquired the ECUtek ECU from had it tuned in a shop, so he didnt include any cables/licenses etc. So from what i'm reading, i think im stuck with a non-compatible (software wise) tablet, and a locked ECU.

What would be my best bet at getting the car tuned at this point?

The current dilemma is that the car will start, but dies out in seconds. It wont run long enough to log data. That being said, i believe this is at the fault of the tune, or lack-thereof. I've installed a 4-bar map sensor and tuned the MAP scaling accordingly, but without further tweaking to the system the car is currently operating on, i.e. a tune that isn't mapped for forced induction, my ability to log data and adjust, or even e tune is at a stand still.
Old 11-15-2016, 03:32 PM   #9
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
I do not currently have the ECUtek tuned ECU installed. I'm still running my stock ECU paired with an OFT.

Sadly, the person i acquired the ECUtek ECU from had it tuned in a shop, so he didnt include any cables/licenses etc. So from what i'm reading, i think im stuck with a non-compatible (software wise) tablet, and a locked ECU.

What would be my best bet at getting the car tuned at this point?

The current dilemma is that the car will start, but dies out in seconds. It wont run long enough to log data. That being said, i believe this is at the fault of the tune, or lack-thereof. I've installed a 4-bar map sensor and tuned the MAP scaling accordingly, but without further tweaking to the system the car is currently operating on, i.e. a tune that isn't mapped for forced induction, my ability to log data and adjust, or even e tune is at a stand still.

It wont start with a 4 bar MAP on a stock tune or any tune that does not have settings for a 4 bar map sensor.

So ... if I have this correct you mate gave yo the actual ECU with vorteck tune on that he was running in his car and the ECU has been flashed with ecutek. But you don't have ecutek cable kit.

So your calibration ID in your current ECU is B01C, do you know your mates calibration ID or the year of car. If his car was same year or older than yours and both manual you should be fine to just swap in the alternate ECU using procedure here assuming the tune in ECU is vortech with 4 bar map and other mods same.

If you mate car was newer than your ie like D00G F00C F40C calibration the engine will run but it may throw some cel codes for dash communication and maybe alternator control.

ECU swap procedure http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102810

you don't need to change the VIN, and you wont be able to as im pretty sure if you do it will foul up the ecutek licience in ecu.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 04:27 PM   #10
riskyfrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
It wont start with a 4 bar MAP on a stock tune or any tune that does not have settings for a 4 bar map sensor.

So ... if I have this correct you mate gave yo the actual ECU with vorteck tune on that he was running in his car and the ECU has been flashed with ecutek. But you don't have ecutek cable kit.

So your calibration ID in your current ECU is B01C, do you know your mates calibration ID or the year of car. If his car was same year or older than yours and both manual you should be fine to just swap in the alternate ECU using procedure here assuming the tune in ECU is vortech with 4 bar map and other mods same.

If you mate car was newer than your ie like D00G F00C F40C calibration the engine will run but it may throw some cel codes for dash communication and maybe alternator control.

ECU swap procedure http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102810

you don't need to change the VIN, and you wont be able to as im pretty sure if you do it will foul up the ecutek licience in ecu.
I did scale the MAP sensor to account for the 4bar sensor upgrade. I followed the instructions you had PM'd me, and it worked.But prior to scaling the MAP, the car wouldnt start. Now it starts, but it runs for a couple seconds then dies out.

I have already tried swapping out the ECUs, but after installing the tuned ECU, my car went right back to not stating at all. It would crank, but not start.
Old 11-17-2016, 12:25 PM   #11
vgi

Quote:
I did scale the MAP sensor to account for the 4bar sensor upgrade. I followed the instructions you had PM'd me, and it worked.But prior to scaling the MAP, the car wouldnt start. Now it starts, but it runs for a couple seconds then dies out.

I have already tried swapping out the ECUs, but after installing the tuned ECU, my car went right back to not stating at all. It would crank, but not start.
hondata 4 bar should be scaled in RR as:
multiplier = 11.97
offset = 0.506

Tags
oft, open flash tablet, supercharger, tuning, vortech supercharger