follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 05-03-2020, 12:24 AM   #1
toughguy39

Drives: WRB Turbo Brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Header and Overpipe stripped bolt

So I bought UEL headers and was planning on getting them installed today when the worst thing happened... one of the bolts from the headers to the overpipe stripped even after using PB blaster. So I bought an overpipe after doing some research and plan to install that along with the headers. Just wanted to make sure but will there be enough room with both shields off to pull the overpipe along with the headers out? If not what would be the best option to get this bolt out? Thanks in advance.
toughguy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 12:28 AM   #2
Gloonge

Drives: 2013 frs raven
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I don't think you can get the over pipe out without rotating it like 90 degrees.

So you are going to either have to beat a smaller socket onto that nut and then rip it off with an impact gun (this requires that the socket be sacrificed), Or get in there with a grinder and cut that bad boy off of there.
Gloonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 12:32 AM   #3
toughguy39

Yep, there's nothing to except the threads that are stuck haha, soooo yeah, I don't have a grinder, might need to get one for this.
Old 05-03-2020, 12:46 AM   #4
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,586 Times in 2,928 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy39 View Post
So I bought UEL headers and was planning on getting them installed today when the worst thing happened... one of the bolts from the headers to the overpipe stripped even after using PB blaster. So I bought an overpipe after doing some research and plan to install that along with the headers. Just wanted to make sure but will there be enough room with both shields off to pull the overpipe along with the headers out? If not what would be the best option to get this bolt out? Thanks in advance.
Just unbolt your motor mounts and jack it up. Then you should be able to slip it out.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 02:53 AM   #5
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Vice grip pliers.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 09:04 AM   #6
Gloonge

Drives: 2013 frs raven
Quote:
Originally Posted by weederr33 View Post
Just unbolt your motor mounts and jack it up. Then you should be able to slip it out.
This guy has the easiest solution. Had not though of that, you can easily get 2 inches of clearance or better and everything should aide out whole.
Gloonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 09:45 AM   #7
ls1ac

Drives: BRZ, Noble M400, AC-LS7,1956 AC
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Is the nut turning and not coming off? You can use a nut cracker to split the nut off or very carful use of a grinder. Then remove the pipe and then blast the stud, and remove with stud remover or perhaps Vice grips.
Do you mean that the nut sheered off the stud? Remove the pipe.
Then PB blast the stud that is exposed and then stud remover or try a vice grip. If it breaks at the casting then you will have to drill and re-tap.
Maybe time for a pro.

edit: Should mention that a pro may put a nut on the shaft then weld the nut to the stud to remove. So many ifs.
ls1ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 09:45 AM   #8
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
Be t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloonge View Post
This guy has the easiest solution. Had not though of that, you can easily get 2 inches of clearance or better and everything should aide out whole.
Agree do this. Just did it to get to the rear drivers side spark plug. So easy. The others I did with out jacking. Next time I jack the engine, it took 7 min maybe to take lower cover off and jack it up. I prefer ramps rather than jack stands as you can lift the whole car a little in the beginning. Just safer on ramps IMHO.
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 11:04 AM   #9
toughguy39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1ac View Post
Is the nut turning and not coming off? You can use a nut cracker to split the nut off or very carful use of a grinder. Then remove the pipe and then blast the stud, and remove with stud remover or perhaps Vice grips.
Do you mean that the nut sheered off the stud? Remove the pipe.
Then PB blast the stud that is exposed and then stud remover or try a vice grip. If it breaks at the casting then you will have to drill and re-tap.
So, there is a stud that is stuck between the overpipe and the headers. I didn't have a great camera but this is what it looks like if you can look closely

[IMG] https://drive.google.com/file/d/1u2t...ew?usp=sharing [/IMG]

Last edited by toughguy39; 05-03-2020 at 11:29 AM. Reason: explaining
Old 05-03-2020, 11:12 AM   #10
toughguy39

Quote:
Originally Posted by weederr33 View Post
That's what I'm hoping to do just not sure if ill be able to take that out along with the headers attached.
Old 05-03-2020, 02:53 PM   #11
ls1ac

Drives: BRZ, Noble M400, AC-LS7,1956 AC
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Yes, it looks like the nut froze and twisted the end off of the stud. When you get them apart then see above for removal.

edit: If getting it off becomes impossible with the broken stud stuck in the flange, you could use a hacksaw blade to cut the stud. NOT recommended because you might scar the flanges and have leaks and it will require drilling and using easy-out or retapping.
ls1ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 03:40 PM   #12
InstaGib

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S || Raven Black
I had almost the exact same thing happen. I was able to get a grinder in and just grind the hell out of it until it came apart. I only nicked the flange a little, should be able to press a new stud in and get it back together if I ever decide to go back.

It sucked. It was late, I needed the car to get to work on Monday (this was a Saturday night), and I was frustrated. I swore I would never tear apart my daily driver again. But since then, I've enjoyed the car immensely. Putting the headers on was the best thing I ever did to it. Good luck, whatever you manage to work out.
InstaGib is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
headers, overpipe