follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
BT, dpfarr

Old 04-18-2017, 07:30 AM   #2185
brzaapi
CAR-AHOLIC

Drives: 2018 BRZ Ts - CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
This may be a bit preliminary, but a word of caution/warning to all 2017MY Subaru BRZ Manual owners who are looking to add the EBSC.

The supercharger assy does not seem to fit. At the moment I believe this is due to a change in alternators from the 13-16MY to the 17MY manuals. The ones with the updated engine and intake (red) manifold are a little different, but you can see that the two cables/plugs are in different locations (mainly on top). This keeps the SC assy raised about .25 to .5 inches from actually touching the passenger side of the engine block. You can't clocked the cables out of the way, like you could on the 13 - 16MY cars.

Edelbrock, has been contacted but their R&D team have not had the chance to get a 17MY car in to confirm the issue or check for a solution. The official response is, they will have one soon, but as of now the kit is not cleared for 2017 manual BRZs.

I bought this kit from CSG, ,myself and CSG are under the impression that a simple alternator swap from a 13 - 16 car could cure this problem. But, its hard to find a ton of info to compare sizes, cable plug types, power output, etc......to know for sure. So, its just easier to try an actual early model alternator. I am in the process of attaining one, and I will report back once I have something more to add. Hopefully, a retro alternator will be a fix. But, its just a theory at the moment.

Current 17 owners, be warned.....right now it is not just plug and play with this SC kit.

Keep fingers crossed.

Edit Update: I have a used alternator that is on its way to me. It is from a 14 BRZ that had 16k miles on it. I will update with any news once the part arrives.

Last edited by brzaapi; 04-18-2017 at 02:21 PM.
brzaapi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to brzaapi For This Useful Post:
CallmeDave (04-01-2019), CounterSpace Garage (04-18-2017), CSG Mike (04-18-2017), funwheeldrive (04-18-2017), strat61caster (04-18-2017), taiguy (04-24-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 07:50 AM   #2186
dejahboi

Drives: 13 FRS - Boosted
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by devtec View Post
What does it mean that whenever I fill up with a full tank of gas, the engine feels smoother and stronger?

This happens very consistently, and it's not placebo. At higher RPMs it performs fine, more noticeable at lower RPMs. I also have the dreaded hesitation problem with the Edelbrock S/C, and having a full tank seems to help with that too.

Fuel pressure issue? Is it a known thing to have to do fuel-related upgrades for the Edelbrock S/C?

I have no other engine mods... Running Delicious tune v21.

Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks
Quality of fuel would be something to look into. Fuel sitting in a tank degrades over time. Aside from that I get the same effect you got lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
dejahboi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dejahboi For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (04-18-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 11:25 AM   #2187
ThatAsianBradah

Drives: Toyota 86 2017 TRD Modded
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Noob Questions: What size fuel injectors do I need if I want to use a 3.00" pulley? I've seen the Deatschwerks injectors on the CSG website.

Is the Edelbrock website the only (reliable) place I can order smaller pulleys? I didnt see any available on the CSG website. Lastly, I've looked at the ACE CS400 merged header + ACE FP units. I didn't see an ACE OP unit available.

Is there an OP that would work well with this combination or should I stick with the stock OP?

Mahalo!
Old 04-18-2017, 12:37 PM   #2188
Bfranklyn86

Drives: GT86 Harrop S/C
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatAsianBradah View Post
Noob Questions: What size fuel injectors do I need if I want to use a 3.00" pulley? I've seen the Deatschwerks injectors on the CSG website.

Is the Edelbrock website the only (reliable) place I can order smaller pulleys? I didnt see any available on the CSG website. Lastly, I've looked at the ACE CS400 merged header + ACE FP units. I didn't see an ACE OP unit available.

Is there an OP that would work well with this combination or should I stick with the stock OP?

Mahalo!
Are you going to build your engine for this?
Bfranklyn86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 12:52 PM   #2189
Silverfox

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ, Edelbrock SC, E-85
Quote:

Mahalo!

All ACE headers come with an ACE OP. I have the CS400 header/op and its a great product.

Not sure about the injector or fuel pump upgrade needed for a smaller pulley upgrade. I would purchase the fuel pump, injectors, and tune all from delicious.

Also, I haven't found a person on here yet who has used a smaller pulley except for that th hunt kid on YouTube who had engine failure. I believe he was pushing e-85 as well. I know e-85 isn't available to you as you said, but you may be the first person risking the new pulley on a stock motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Silverfox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Silverfox For This Useful Post:
ThatAsianBradah (04-18-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 01:24 PM   #2190
ThatAsianBradah

Drives: Toyota 86 2017 TRD Modded
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfranklyn86 View Post
Are you going to build your engine for this?
I was thinking of getting supporting mods like the Mishimoto Oil Cooler. I understand that the more I try to push this syatem, the more supporting units I need. besides the oil cooler, fuel pump, injectors, and according tunes, I'm not sure what else I need to maintain long term durability.

I'll look more into it, but the injectors, fuel pump, oil cooler, and tune along with the headers/OP + FP might be all I need for improved performance after the base kit
Old 04-18-2017, 01:30 PM   #2191
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:

Mahalo!
PM @CounterSpace Garage to order. Also, mention the fuel you're using, as you'll be limited on what you can run pulley wise, depending on your fuel.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 01:31 PM   #2192
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by devtec View Post
What does it mean that whenever I fill up with a full tank of gas, the engine feels smoother and stronger?

This happens very consistently, and it's not placebo. At higher RPMs it performs fine, more noticeable at lower RPMs. I also have the dreaded hesitation problem with the Edelbrock S/C, and having a full tank seems to help with that too.

Fuel pressure issue? Is it a known thing to have to do fuel-related upgrades for the Edelbrock S/C?

I have no other engine mods... Running Delicious tune v21.

Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks
Stock fuel pump? Any other mods?
Old 04-18-2017, 03:38 PM   #2193
Bfranklyn86

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
PM @CounterSpace Garage to order. Also, mention the fuel you're using, as you'll be limited on what you can run pulley wise, depending on your fuel.
Would CSG be happy to tune on this kit and that pulley with a stock block? Running around 14psi I would guess.....
Old 04-18-2017, 04:22 PM   #2194
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfranklyn86 View Post
Would CSG be happy to tune on this kit and that pulley with a stock block? Running around 14psi I would guess.....
I don't know how much gains you'll have if any, over less boost...
Old 04-19-2017, 04:48 AM   #2195
Bfranklyn86

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
I don't know how much gains you'll have if any, over less boost...
I meant from an engine safety perspective (rod-snap potential)..... running 14-15 psi on the stock block......?

I do think there would be gains dropping the pulley size, especially with 93 or e85. Over in the harrop thread people have got decent numbers on a smaller pulley than standard.

Who knows why TJ hunt's gains on 91 were so bad. It may be that the smallest (60 something mm) pulley creates so much heat on 91 that timing gets pulled.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:11 AM   #2196
toast

Drives: 14 BSP Edelbrock BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
The stock rods bend because they are made of al dente spaghetti. No amount of tuning will prevent that when you are running 150% more than stock torque.
toast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to toast For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (04-19-2017)
Old 04-22-2017, 06:02 PM   #2197
Im_SPEED

Drives: FRS hot lava
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Question..... so I'm out autocrossing today we are grinding on an incline leaning to the left. On start up its smoking like crazy. Rev it up gets worse then goes away. I'm about .3qt over full. I'm woundering if it could be just oil draining back through the pcv system. Its deffenty oil smoke. if I remember right the kit deletes the pcv valve. It's thst right? Or did I read that step wrong. Not super worried about it atm. Just curious.
Im_SPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 12:28 AM   #2198
Zut

Drives: 2013 FRS
Got my Edelbrock kit installed two weekends ago and have been loving the power. Thanks to all the posters in the forum to keep away from any major mistakes during the install.

Also added supporting mods of the Jackson Racing Dual Radiator/Oil cooler, Radium PCV side catch can, and Nameless full 3" header back exhaust (catted SF header already installed).

First impressions have been amazing. It really does feel just like a bigger engine. Only some minor hesitation, likely due to not running stock header. Overall, the car pulls great and runs very well.

Installation was a blissful weekend in the garage with the only curse words coming during the installation of the OEM radiator hoses to the JR radiator. The inlet and outlet pipes were almost impossible to fit; it was much tighter than stock.

With respect to IAT and the JR radiator: I only reinstalled the upper foam radiator "gasket" on the radiator. I got up to about 125F at one point with ~80F ambient air. Not conclusive, but definitely worth watching. I'll put the other 3 radiator "gaskets" on sometime in the future and see if there's any impact.

Only lingering issue is the raspy sound from the exhaust. Some parts may end up for sale soon as i quest to not sound like a civic...
Attached Images

Zut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zut For This Useful Post:
BigFatFlip (04-23-2017), BirdTRD (04-24-2017)