follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 07-31-2022, 06:56 PM   #1
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
STI Steering Rack Bushing Install Question

Quick question if someone knows the answer. I have a brand new steering rack, and a brand new set of STI rack bushings. Unlike many aftermarket bushings, these don't come in two halves that slot together. They are one piece. That means, just like the OEM bushings (they look almost identical), they have a lip that gets crushed as you insert/remove them.

To remove the OEM bushings, I simply used my press, and a socket, and squished them through and out. Didn't seem to do much damage to them, but these new bushings seem to have a slightly thicker metal core, and are definitely made from stiffer rubber. So my question is: is there anything I need to know before pressing these in to avoid damaging them/tearing the rubber/etc.? I'm tempted to put some grease on them, hut IDK if that's advisable or not.

Thanks everyone!

Check out my blog, read all about my BRZ adventures, and oogle my sweet cell-phone photos!
You can also find me on Instagram, and on Facebook.
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote