follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-21-2022, 07:15 AM   #323
Petah78
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Drives: 2022 BRZ sport-tech
Location: Canada
Posts: 353
Thanks: 273
Thanked 171 Times in 108 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZ-G1 View Post
I have not posted here for a while. I got my BRZ in Nov 2021 and have done 6k miles and 2 track days. I have upgraded the suspension with Ohlins/6k Swift springs and Ferodo brake pads for the track.

Overall, I’m really impressed with the car and no real issues, except I feel I’m having engine knock. Hearing it when the engine is digging out from low RPM. I don’t know if I’m imagining it or not. This has been present since new. Cannot hear anything wrong when revving in neutral.

Can anyone comment on this, should I be worried?
I can't comment on the FA24 yet as i am still in break in thus i have not been going more than 20% throttle but with the FA20, at low rpm, if i am a little aggressive with the throttle at low revs (like 2000rpm), even in 2nd gear, it will "rattle". It doesn't sound pleasant and but from my readings on this forum, it appears to be normal. I think this is what you are hearing. I will never hear it at the track though because of the higher revs. I have learned to drive around it by applying less throttle in the lower rev range, especially in higher gears. I mean you do not want to lug the engine anyways.
__________________
Daijiro Katoh - Champion Forever!
Past: 92 EG w/JDM B18C, 00 EK w/JDM B18C, 04 600RR, 97 ITR #421, 10 Acura CSX-S, 17 BRZ
Current: 22 BRZ, 00 S2K - #0220

Last edited by Petah78; 07-21-2022 at 01:09 PM.
Petah78 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Petah78 For This Useful Post:
BRZ-G1 (07-21-2022)
Old 07-21-2022, 04:58 PM   #324
mycrors7
Senior Member
 
mycrors7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: zd8 brz
Location: United States
Posts: 149
Thanks: 59
Thanked 168 Times in 78 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZ-G1 View Post
I have not posted here for a while. I got my BRZ in Nov 2021 and have done 6k miles and 2 track days. I have upgraded the suspension with Ohlins/6k Swift springs and Ferodo brake pads for the track.

Overall, I’m really impressed with the car and no real issues, except I feel I’m having engine knock. Hearing it when the engine is digging out from low RPM. I don’t know if I’m imagining it or not. This has been present since new. Cannot hear anything wrong when revving in neutral.

Can anyone comment on this, should I be worried?
What brand gas are you using? I noticed a bit of knocking at low rpm and about medium engine load when I filled up with Mobil once. I’ve noticed the car seems like chevron and shell the best. Haven’t tried Arco but so far I’ve only ever heard it when using Mobil.
76, Costco, shell and chevron have all been good.
mycrors7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 07:35 PM   #325
BRZ-G1
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Drives: 2022 BRZ
Location: SoCal
Posts: 19
Thanks: 2
Thanked 21 Times in 9 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycrors7 View Post
What brand gas are you using? I noticed a bit of knocking at low rpm and about medium engine load when I filled up with Mobil once. I’ve noticed the car seems like chevron and shell the best. Haven’t tried Arco but so far I’ve only ever heard it when using Mobil.
76, Costco, shell and chevron have all been good.
I have tried Costco, Chevron & Shell 91 octane, and the same noise is present with all the brands.
BRZ-G1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 09:59 PM   #326
mycrors7
Senior Member
 
mycrors7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: zd8 brz
Location: United States
Posts: 149
Thanks: 59
Thanked 168 Times in 78 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZ-G1 View Post
I have tried Costco, Chevron & Shell 91 octane, and the same noise is present with all the brands.
Interesting. Try to record the noise if possible? It may very well be the Direct Injection. A lot have mistaken it for knock because of how loud the system is at low rpm.
mycrors7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 10:06 PM   #327
BRZ-G1
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Drives: 2022 BRZ
Location: SoCal
Posts: 19
Thanks: 2
Thanked 21 Times in 9 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycrors7 View Post
Interesting. Try to record the noise if possible? It may very well be the Direct Injection. A lot have mistaken it for knock because of how loud the system is at low rpm.
I have a feeling you may be correct about this being a prominent normal noise of direct injection.

I love this engine though. Very hard to believe the previous gen BRZ / GT86 engines are related. This unit is a screamer, and it pulls hard all the way to 7.5k RPM. It feels to be pulling harder as the RPMs rise. Without the RPM limiter set, I was constantly hitting the redline. It felt this engine had more to give above 7.5k rpm.
BRZ-G1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 10:34 PM   #328
Chrisz5z
Member
 
Join Date: May 2022
Drives: 2022 Steel GR86
Location: Earth
Posts: 15
Thanks: 15
Thanked 14 Times in 7 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZ-G1 View Post
I have tried Costco, Chevron & Shell 91 octane, and the same noise is present with all the brands.
Could it be the 91 octane?

From the GR86 owners manual:

"unleaded gasoline with an
octane rating of 91 (95 RON)
may be used with no detriment to engine durability or
driveability. However, you
may notice a slight
decrease in maximum
engine performance and
you may hear some knocking (pinging) of an engine
while using an octane rating
of 91 (95 RON) fuel."
Chrisz5z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 12:08 AM   #329
mycrors7
Senior Member
 
mycrors7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: zd8 brz
Location: United States
Posts: 149
Thanks: 59
Thanked 168 Times in 78 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisz5z View Post
Could it be the 91 octane?

From the GR86 owners manual:

"unleaded gasoline with an
octane rating of 91 (95 RON)
may be used with no detriment to engine durability or
driveability. However, you
may notice a slight
decrease in maximum
engine performance and
you may hear some knocking (pinging) of an engine
while using an octane rating
of 91 (95 RON) fuel."
im using 91 oct with no issues or odd sounds
mycrors7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 01:46 AM   #330
joemysterio
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Drives: Mini
Location: Hayward
Posts: 135
Thanks: 98
Thanked 51 Times in 34 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The only issue I'm facing is a rattling noise somewhere in the dash, but it happens randomly.
joemysterio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 07:01 AM   #331
autosenses
Senior Member
 
autosenses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Drives: 22 Raven 86, 19 STI, 15MK7 SE daily
Location: Saratoga NY
Posts: 124
Thanks: 9
Thanked 36 Times in 23 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petah78 View Post
I can't comment on the FA24 yet as i am still in break in thus i have not been going more than 20% throttle but with the FA20, at low rpm, if i am a little aggressive with the throttle at low revs (like 2000rpm), even in 2nd gear, it will "rattle". It doesn't sound pleasant and but from my readings on this forum, it appears to be normal. I think this is what you are hearing. I will never hear it at the track though because of the higher revs. I have learned to drive around it by applying less throttle in the lower rev range, especially in higher gears. I mean you do not want to lug the engine anyways.
Yes, that noise seems to be normal. I experienced soon as I picked up the car. I would like to believe it's normal.

BTW- Petah, I like your previous cars. I also had a 92 with full GSR swap. One of the most fun cars i've ever experienced. Got a build thread for your s2k?
autosenses is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to autosenses For This Useful Post:
Petah78 (07-22-2022)
Old 07-22-2022, 07:26 AM   #332
Petah78
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Drives: 2022 BRZ sport-tech
Location: Canada
Posts: 353
Thanks: 273
Thanked 171 Times in 108 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by autosenses View Post
Yes, that noise seems to be normal. I experienced soon as I picked up the car. I would like to believe it's normal.

BTW- Petah, I like your previous cars. I also had a 92 with full GSR swap. One of the most fun cars i've ever experienced. Got a build thread for your s2k?
Thanks! Those GSR hatches are a hoot and i will build another street/track car if i can find a decent shell. Actually, no, i lied. I will do a K20 or K24 MRS if i were to go through the trouble again to swap. Same weight as the hatches but MR with zero traction issues. It will be a riot both street and track. I bet that will be terrifying to boot! haha.

No build thread, the AP1 is a very mild car, relatively stock. All i have i have done are wheels and suspension. I have owned it for 12 years and its more of a weekend/sunny car. However, i am thinking of adding more goodies over the winter now that the kids are older. haha.
__________________
Daijiro Katoh - Champion Forever!
Past: 92 EG w/JDM B18C, 00 EK w/JDM B18C, 04 600RR, 97 ITR #421, 10 Acura CSX-S, 17 BRZ
Current: 22 BRZ, 00 S2K - #0220
Petah78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 12:47 AM   #333
AK2112
Senior Member
 
AK2112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Drives: 22 BRZ
Location: Chicago
Posts: 150
Thanks: 148
Thanked 91 Times in 56 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemysterio View Post
The only issue I'm facing is a rattling noise somewhere in the dash, but it happens randomly.
Does it coincide with the fake engine sound?
AK2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 10:06 AM   #334
autosenses
Senior Member
 
autosenses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Drives: 22 Raven 86, 19 STI, 15MK7 SE daily
Location: Saratoga NY
Posts: 124
Thanks: 9
Thanked 36 Times in 23 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK2112 View Post
Does it coincide with the fake engine sound?
Maybe, but not convinced. While normal driving my glovebox squeaks. It's hard to replicate but when it becomes noticeable I just press on it and it stops for a while. If you open the glovebox there are little tabs wrapped with tape/insulation foam from factory. They know this is a source of noise...
autosenses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 07:16 PM   #335
joemysterio
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Drives: Mini
Location: Hayward
Posts: 135
Thanks: 98
Thanked 51 Times in 34 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK2112 View Post
Does it coincide with the fake engine sound?
It doesn't, I have mine disconnected and tied down, and the connector head is wrapped. Not sure what it could be as it's really random.



Quote:
Originally Posted by autosenses View Post
Maybe, but not convinced. While normal driving my glovebox squeaks. It's hard to replicate but when it becomes noticeable I just press on it and it stops for a while. If you open the glovebox there are little tabs wrapped with tape/insulation foam from factory. They know this is a source of noise...
Mine did, too. I had extra rubber feet from something else and placed that on the glovebox door so it creates a wedge between edge of the glovebox and the opening. That stopped the squeaking I had from my glovebox.
joemysterio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 08:04 PM   #336
drift86
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Drives: GT86, 22 BRZ
Location: Sydney
Posts: 71
Thanks: 20
Thanked 75 Times in 21 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZ-G1 View Post
I have not posted here for a while. I got my BRZ in Nov 2021 and have done 6k miles and 2 track days. I have upgraded the suspension with Ohlins/6k Swift springs and Ferodo brake pads for the track.

Overall, Iím really impressed with the car and no real issues, except I feel Iím having engine knock. Hearing it when the engine is digging out from low RPM. I donít know if Iím imagining it or not. This has been present since new. Cannot hear anything wrong when revving in neutral.

Can anyone comment on this, should I be worried?
Based on my experience with the 2.0, it's pretty normal for these engines to knock a bit in low rpm high load situations.

I used to set an alert on the knock channels on the OFT and it almost always detects a bit of knock if you floor it at less than around 3500rpm unless you are on e85.

If you do it a lot, then the IAM will drop below 1.0, pulling timing across the whole rev range which reduces your power. It takes a bit of knock free driving to bring it back up to 1.0.

So it's best to downshift if you need to pick up some speed if you aren't in the powerband.
drift86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to drift86 For This Useful Post:
Midnightsky (07-28-2022), Petah78 (07-25-2022)
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone not buying to avoid early issues like 1st gen FRS? stocktc1 GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) 203 09-23-2021 09:11 PM
Buying an early build in the fall, but some issues with these cars are worrying me... RyMi BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics 34 02-27-2019 08:56 PM
New 2014s still have early issues? Prospective buyer Lord09 Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB 25 06-14-2014 04:42 AM
Early problems - speaker rasp and long turnover Hawaiian Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB 44 08-30-2013 04:39 PM
Initial Issues / Problems JDMSushi AUSTRALIA 56 09-30-2012 10:21 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2022 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.