follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 05-23-2022, 11:33 AM   #71
Howaitoguru

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spcmafia View Post
Okay that is one tuner. I did a search on the forum and, considering that delicious does hold an account here, and does roam the forums from time to time, was not able to find a recorded case.

I'm just trying to get more insight here, not defending FTSpeed, to be clear.

Maybe is missing context, could be because loading a bad tune could potentially mess up the cat and therefore they are not willing to take that risk. Or use it in FI application where the power exceeds the parameters of the cat, unlike the JDL which is rated pretty high.

At any rate, there are options out there to fix your headers, or get a temporary set. Good luck.

I’m going to talk to JDL. But they said the flow rate on ft86speedfactory headers are worse than stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Howaitoguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 12:18 PM   #72
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Oh there it is. Should have guessed. Maybe you should pickup a paper if you have the intellectual ability to even grasp the reality of the world now. Doubt it though.
this is really just the spoon-fed generation.

"I don't listen to BS from those in power"
"I also don't do any research on my own so I want to be fed info/BS from others with similar interests as me"
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
MrSkubi (05-24-2022), OkieSnuffBox (05-23-2022)
Old 05-23-2022, 12:20 PM   #73
Howaitoguru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
this is really just the spoon-fed generation.

"I don't listen to BS from those in power"
"I also don't do any research on my own so I want to be fed info/BS from others with similar interests as me"

What’s a spoon fed generation? I grew up poor, got out on my own take care of 3 kids and a house. Nothing here is spoon fed. I just don’t have time to watch the news, and feel like it’s a waste of time even if I did have time.

The Following User Says Thank You to Howaitoguru For This Useful Post:
Wally86 (05-24-2022)
Old 05-23-2022, 12:26 PM   #74
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,230 Times in 703 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howaitoguru View Post
What’s a spoon fed generation? I grew up poor, got out on my own take care of 3 kids and a house. Nothing here is spoon fed. I just don’t have time to watch the news, and feel like it’s a waste of time even if I did have time.

Way to prove his point. LMGTFY.

It's a colloquialism for "providing (someone) with so much help or information that they do not need to think for themselves."

Lots of us grew up poor, no one cares.
Wally86 (05-24-2022)
Old 05-23-2022, 12:28 PM   #75
Howaitoguru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
Way to prove his point. LMGTFY.

It's a colloquialism for "providing (someone) with so much help or information that they do not need to think for themselves."

Lots of us grew up poor, no one cares.

Okie bud. I came her for information like everyone else does. We’re all spoonfed. Spoon feeding our shit too each other. What a wonderful world.

The Following User Says Thank You to Howaitoguru For This Useful Post:
Teseo (05-23-2022)
Old 05-23-2022, 01:28 PM   #76
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Here are two points you made earlier:

Quote:
So our government has fucked all portions of the market not just food, gas, and housing?
Quote:
I don’t need a bridge I need headers. And if you can’t see our government has a control on the market then that’s an issue.

The point I was making with spoon-fed into is that you are more willing to believe what fellow 86/BRZ enthusiasts are providing via chatting on your phone on a 3rd party forum, instead of perhaps 1) doing some reading about logistics issues online, or 2) spending time doing any other research on your own.

Yes it might be a waste of time, but that's you. I find spending time to do research and gaining knowledge, especially unbiased knowledge, a worthwhile investment.

I grew up poor too. Hell, tracing my own history I was very lucky to end up where I am today, I was not born in the US and have had to try to make it on my own for a while.

A "spoon-fed generation" is just a catch-all for those that are unwilling to get answers on their own. Asking questions about header availability is fine, but to just make blanket statements about how much (or little) the government controls free market mechanisms is just ignorance at best and extreme bias about how the world works at worst.

Like I said before, if you think the government controls how this supply chain works (beyond, say, the tariff or regulations about how goods flow) then I have a bridge to sell you. it is about 100x more complicated than what you think it is.
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (05-23-2022), OkieSnuffBox (05-24-2022)
Old 05-23-2022, 02:07 PM   #77
KillerBMotorsport

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
I was surprised that I never saw a "holy header" come out for the BRZ/FRS. I know a lot of people who were happy to bolt on the holy header, ditch the UEL sound for a true performance header (in the WRX/STI days)
Quote:
So why not make some for the ZN6/ZC6 platform?
A few years after the Gen 1 release, we reached out to three groups for feedback. The groups were enthusiasts, resellers, and shops, that were all experienced with the platform. The consensus was that the BRZ market was more targeted toward budget friendly products, and we don't make products to target a price point, so it never went anywhere.

For me, tipping the scales for the Gen 2 was that many of the complaints made to the Gen 1 had been addressed in the Gen 2, and the reviews reflected this as well. Additionally, I see far more Gen 2 purchases being made as a track rat than ever before. Competitive track guys will always choose a higher end part over a DNF, which also fits in perfect with our knowledge base. So here we are

Will we do more Gen 1 parts someday, besides the parts we already make? Maybe? We're all-in on the Gen 2. If there's follow-up demand for Gen 1 parts, we'd have to reconsider.
KillerBMotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KillerBMotorsport For This Useful Post:
bcj (05-23-2022)
Old 05-23-2022, 03:12 PM   #78
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,322 Times in 7,380 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Why are all the headers sold out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBMotorsport View Post
A few years after the Gen 1 release, we reached out to three groups for feedback. The groups were enthusiasts, resellers, and shops, that were all experienced with the platform. The consensus was that the BRZ market was more targeted toward budget friendly products, and we don't make products to target a price point, so it never went anywhere.
So us gen 1 owners are too cheap to get good parts from you guys
bcj (05-23-2022)
Old 05-23-2022, 07:20 PM   #79
KillerBMotorsport

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
So us gen 1 owners are too cheap to get good parts from you guys
That's what I'm told. Hopefully the Gen 2 guys can open a window of opportunity for the Gen 1 guys.
Old 05-23-2022, 07:38 PM   #80
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
That's what I'm told. Hopefully the Gen 2 guys can open a window of opportunity for the Gen 1 guys.

Hopefully Nick treats those guys better since they are spending more money.
Old 05-23-2022, 08:31 PM   #81
e_lunatic

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I was working for a company that does all our manufacturing in the US and we source raw materials from US companies. It's been harder but not impossible to get the specific material we need (we weren't getting stainless tubing but were getting stainless solid to make parts so can't comment specifically on stainless tube) but the prices increased every single time we made orders.

as has been stated it's a multitude of factors that cause these problems. Everything from Just In Time stocking to price increase/supply chain issues. I will say that other companies that we were competing against we using outside vendors to build a lot of their parts and then shipping them to the US. That's all well and good and creates a lower price point for customers. Until it gets damn near impossible to either get your parts here or have them made because the country that is making them is shut down.

The company i worked for has always had some stones thrown at it because of it's higher price point. When everything went to shit we were pretty much the only game in town and it worked in our favor. I'm talking rival companies having 4-6 month back orders for things we had on the shelf ready to ship that day.
I will place a lot of blame on consumers for this. Can't tell you how many times I've had small business owners selling their products for way cheaper than they should because they felt if they raised prices people would never buy it. You want good materials, fabbed and welded well, and have a lot less issues with sourcing materials? Don't buy cheap stuff :shrug:
e_lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to e_lunatic For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-24-2022)
Old 05-23-2022, 10:17 PM   #82
KillerBMotorsport

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
Hopefully Nick treats those guys better since they are spending more money.
Here's the tread...

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...ghlight=killer

I told you the situation we were under when this slipped through the cracks, reviewed everything that happened with Nick and our current customer service person, and offered to make up for the mistake we made.

It seems nothing can help you get over this, as you continue to troll and bash us. So what's your end game here, to keep anyone from buying our BRZ products?
Old 05-23-2022, 10:45 PM   #83
KillerBMotorsport

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_lunatic View Post
Can't tell you how many times I've had small business owners selling their products for way cheaper than they should because they felt if they raised prices people would never buy it. You want good materials, fabbed and welded well, and have a lot less issues with sourcing materials? Don't buy cheap stuff :shrug:
Been there done that! Sometimes it works out, sometimes not. When we released our Holy Headers (321SS) back in 2010 the resounding response was 'no one is going to pay that price!' We sold 10 the first year (actually most we gave away to tester shops), 25 the second, but once track guys and dyno plots started surfacing it took off. 2021 we made just under 700 sets with demand only continuing upward, it's typically a 1-2 month wait, and a month+ additionally with a coating.

Similar roll out for the 2015-2021 FA20 WRX headers and they went down and down as cheap sets continued to hit the market. Went from several hundred per year, to less than 30 last year. We're at a point now, questioning if it even makes sense to continue, because at our reduce material volume our prices have started climbing. It's not a good direction when that market just likes budget products.

Our costs are what they are, and our margins are what they are to support the future; R&D, engineering/testing, and product development. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. It's risk for any company that develops and proves out their own stuff. For the ones that knock-off, there's price point, and no engineering or development cost-risk, which is one of the reasons they are so cheap. If you think developing a good product is cheap, it's not. In 2010 we spent a hair over 100K developing the Holy Headers and it took years to break even. Knock off companies don't have that. Every dollar you spend, buying from a 'header factory' that pumps out knock-offs, you're reducing future innovations for the platform. Some care, some don't.
The Following User Says Thank You to KillerBMotorsport For This Useful Post:
e_lunatic (05-24-2022)
Old 05-23-2022, 11:02 PM   #84
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Here's the tread...

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...ghlight=killer

I told you the situation we were under when this slipped through the cracks, reviewed everything that happened with Nick and our current customer service person, and offered to make up for the mistake we made.

It seems nothing can help you get over this, as you continue to troll and bash us. So what's your end game here, to keep anyone from buying our BRZ products?

Depends on how board I am I have Covid so I am isolating and just working on my house now, aka pretty board.

I took the offer of the replacement and you guys never followed through, even after multiple reminders. Wish I never would have sent the bad one back, at least I could have cut it down and still used it. The way I’ve seen it, I’ve contacted you guys enough times so it’s time to just poke fun. Probably would have never continued to respond if you hadn’t in this thread.

Give one away to someone else like I said already in that thread. At least someone would get something that was paid for.