follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 02-25-2014, 11:05 AM   #239
bdbx18

Drives: Present MDX, Civic Hybrid, BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbf View Post
I just let my 18-year old, iPhone obsessed, Facebook'ing, Snapchatting son drive my BRZ for the first time.

Once we got to a street where he could really open it up and go through the gears his reaction was ..

"THIS CAR IS AWESOME!!"
He's begging to borrow it when his girlfriend is home from college next week, so he can drive around town and show off.
LOL, I let my 12 yr old drive my then 10-miles old BRZ up and down our street and he's already hooked!
Old 02-25-2014, 11:13 AM   #240
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Drives: 2019 WRX Limited (WRB)
Thanked 1,251 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
I just let my 18-year old, iPhone obsessed, Facebook'ing, Snapchatting son drive my BRZ for the first time.

Once we got to a street where he could really open it up and go through the gears his reaction was ..

"THIS CAR IS AWESOME!!"
He's begging to borrow it when his girlfriend is home from college next week, so he can drive around town and show off.
Make him to leave the iPhone in the cup holder & also learn to drive stick as a condition to borrowing the car.

I'm on my phone so if I make mistakes, blame Sportsguy83

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:30 AM   #241
cbf

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited, GBS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrass View Post
Make him to leave the iPhone in the cup holder & also learn to drive stick as a condition to borrowing the car.
He is well aware of my attitude about phone use while driving. And he learned to drive stick on my 95,000 mile WRX just before I traded it in. The BRZ is very different of course, but he did pretty well on his first run.

Frankly, I'm much more concerned about the supposed adults driving their SUV with one hand and holding their phone to their face with the other and who I see all the time on my daily commute.
cbf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cbf For This Useful Post:
racecat (02-25-2014), Rampage (02-25-2014), SirBrass (02-26-2014)
Old 02-25-2014, 11:36 AM   #242
Rampage
Senior Member/Old Fanboi

Drives: 2000 2ZZ-GE MR2 Spyder HT
Thanked 2,014 Times in 915 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Frankly, I'm much more concerned about the supposed adults driving their SUV with one hand and holding their phone to their face with the other and who I see all the time on my daily commute.
Amen to that. I cannot tell you how many times I have had "idjits" in their SUVs or pick-up trucks pull out in front of me while talking on their cells. Nothing like running a slalom of 3 ton rolling roadblocks with oblivious operators!
Old 02-25-2014, 12:35 PM   #243
STJ

Drives: Skyline R33 GTR
With the Amount of 86's and BRZ's that they are selling in Japan they could make the next gen a JDM only model and still make a nice profit.

And US sale's are pretty oke, i rather have them on a low side than them being higher than the Japanese sales. Because that would mean that the next gen will still be very much a Japanese design and not fat and bloated like the US market like's it.
STJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:11 PM   #244
daiheadjai

Drives: 2003 S2000, 2008 Fit
Thanked 1,154 Times in 688 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
Amen to that. I cannot tell you how many times I have had "idjits" in their SUVs or pick-up trucks pull out in front of me while talking on their cells. Nothing like running a slalom of 3 ton rolling roadblocks with oblivious operators!
This past Saturday, within the span of 3 seconds, I had to dodge 1) A Ford Escape which decided to make a right turn onto the lane I was in, while I was barreling down and 2) a Kia Rondo (sorta CUV/mini-MPV) which decided to lane change into my lane without shoulder checking.

Speed doesn't kill. Stupid does.
daiheadjai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to daiheadjai For This Useful Post:
SirBrass (02-26-2014)
Old 02-25-2014, 07:10 PM   #245
Shawnofthedead

Drives: Black on black with so much class
Ill just upgrade my car and pay 200$ in insurance a month to nationwide with a 500$ deposit they'd cover a blown motor if I was to go FI. I'm already paying geico full coverage 189$ plus tax what another 8$ a month to get my car where I'd like it to be? Don't care toyota would tone it down for gas mileage to the wheels it would probably be as terrible as the new Hyundai coupe with a turbo 201 to the wheels. ehhhhh? nope I'd rather get my tune and the set up I'D like to build. If trd would like to release a decent set up that will be covered by warrenty cool! But,this isn't going to break my spirits if this motor can't hang than ill just drop my 2jzgte and supra tranny without any hesitation about warrenty. Fuck it no care.
Shawnofthedead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:28 PM   #246
Masago88

Drives: '14 WRB BRZ LTD, '98 Camry
Hi all,
Long time lurker finally making the push to join the community! Anyhow quick question - does anyone else suspect that this latest rumor is just to stir more controversy and perhaps milk more sales out before they eventually announce whatever power update plans they had in mind? While I've been following news on this car for over a year, I'm fairly new to the car scene in general (although working as an engineer has helped me understand a lot of things very quickly and appreciate cars a lot more than I did before), and I don't know historically how car rumor/marketing has affected actual production.
Masago88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:34 PM   #247
Tromatic
Banned

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 1,728 Times in 786 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
I think Toyota/Scion have some very astute marketing people who are well aware of the number of owners who will trade for the newest shiny. If I was the boss of TUSA, I'd be in Japan working to get them to bring the 86 to the US in 2015. Not one dime expended to develop or upgrade the car, and half the people here would herniate themselves trying to get to the dealership to trade their almost-new car for one.
Tromatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:13 PM   #248
Rakshaa
Milton 86 Club

Drives: Lexus IS350, GT86, Mini Cooper, CBR
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masago88 View Post
Hi all,
Long time lurker finally making the push to join the community! Anyhow quick question - does anyone else suspect that this latest rumor is just to stir more controversy and perhaps milk more sales out before they eventually announce whatever power update plans they had in mind? While I've been following news on this car for over a year, I'm fairly new to the car scene in general (although working as an engineer has helped me understand a lot of things very quickly and appreciate cars a lot more than I did before), and I don't know historically how car rumor/marketing has affected actual production.
Honestly it sounds like clever marketing to me as well. Good point this will make some people rush in to get 'one of the last' available frs or brz cars as they may cease production soon. They will then continue to sell them and perhaps introduce an actual GT86 as suggested above instead of limited production monogram.

Where are you in Canada? I'm about to get my car in the next couple weeks
Rakshaa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rakshaa For This Useful Post:
gily25 (02-26-2014)
Old 02-26-2014, 05:37 AM   #249
asnoir

Drives: An old Citroen Xantia TD
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Hello ! I'm in France in European Union and here the Gt86 cost 35700 US dollar. You must add 4947 US dollar to drive in France. It's a Green Tax!!!! Then the car cost 40700 US dollar!!!!
Toyota have made error with this car! Every month since the release of the car. Rumors from Toyota, journalist... have sayed that the next 86 could be with a KERS engine, a 2.5l engine, with new intake and exhaust to reach 250 ps. And more... Cabriolet, Sedan.
After that here in Europe we wait for the new version.
asnoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:34 AM   #250
Deslock

Drives: 2013 DZE/01 (sold for MX5 ND1)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drftfan View Post
It is overpriced. Simple as that. Agree or disagree I don't personally care. But after realizing the other vehicles I could have bought for the same amount, new and used I realized you don't get much for your dollar.
And yes I fully understand what I bought and what the car was designed for etc etc. Still overpriced.
Nonsense. If you don't value low-weight RWD dynamics, then you chose the wrong car:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deslock View Post
if you don't mind understeer, there are FWD cars that'll give you more bang for your buck. If you don't mind portly dynamics, there are other RWD cars that'll that give you more bang for your buck.
If you do value low-weight RWD dynamics, then this car is reasonably priced. Simple as that.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:24 AM   #251
DragonDriver5

Drives: 2014 FRS, 77 Celica, 88 Supra Turbo
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
It's selling above their targeted numbers, so why worry about what the press says?

Also, has anyone considered they could drop the Scion brand and then just sell it as a GT86 here in the states? Sounds like that's more in line of their plans to me. They know a lot of people put Toyota badges on their car. Why not give them what they want to begin with?
DragonDriver5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:58 AM   #252
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
i suspect some if has to do with playing the market. i think much of their target market is the young single, active lifestyle kind of people that the scion brand already caters to. where currently the toyota brand caters more to middle age people with family that need space...

so i think it was easier for them to get the majority of attention from the majority of the right market to sell the car under the scion label then under the toyota label...
racecat (02-26-2014)