follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List

Old 05-02-2016, 10:12 PM   #1
Skurj

Drives: SOLD...
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Insurer in Ontario - modified cars

Apart from facility, or some insurance company that covers your house, your business, your 14 kids and their families, that they have been covering for the last 45 years...

Are there any mod friendly insurance companies in Ontario (the GTA specifically?)

I got a big hassle when i went to 18's on my BRZ originally because the ins co could find no evidence of the car coming like that from the factory so no not allowed... ( i was refused ins by that company - TD)
nvm the lowering springs...

(car is now completely stock.. almost, oops i didn't tell the ins company about the TPMS sensors in the wheels.. the BRZ never did come that way in Canada...)
Replaced with 18 50th edition ND
Skurj is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Skurj For This Useful Post:
ZionsWrath (05-03-2016)
Old 05-02-2016, 10:45 PM   #2
ButeraFRS

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
What the hell you got refused insurance because of wheels? A turbo I understand but wheels are ridiculous. Me personally, I wouldn't even tell them, but if they're crazy expensive and you want them insured try State Farm.

Or try calling TD back again and asking for another broker because that seems a little ridiculous. They should have a way to raise your premium accordingly -- performance mods aside...
Old 05-02-2016, 10:57 PM   #3
df.dima

Drives: FR-S and Mazda 3 Sky
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Try Belair, they seem to even ask if you have < 5k in mods in online quote, according to forums talk, some people declare mods and they are ok as long as its not major. I heard their service sucks though... Let us know how your shopping goes .

And yes, agents will shit their pants and go apeshit if you tell them you "modified" something.
df.dima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:05 PM   #4
drewbot
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Drives: '13 Whiteout FR-S A/T
Thanked 1,452 Times in 752 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Strange but I'm not surprised. The person on the phone when I called TD tried to tell me snow tires and steel wheels were "vehicle modifications"

From another TD Monnex user

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
drewbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:51 PM   #5
Myv

Drives: SWP BRZ Limited MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewbot View Post
Strange but I'm not surprised. The person on the phone when I called TD tried to tell me snow tires and steel wheels were "vehicle modifications"

Hahaha what...
Myv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 12:30 AM   #6
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Maybe that's just their polite way of saying they don't want your business and GTFO!
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 07:03 AM   #7
Skurj

Well I left TD when they said that, that was 3 yrs ago. Next insurer I didn't say a thing... But they ask me every 6 months when I talk to them on the phone whenever I make policy changes (cars in and out of storage etc)
The BRZ is back to stock, just paranoid it will be in an accident perhaps not even my fault and any mods will not be covered..

The car was actually smacked in a parking lot a couple weeks ago, and there was some question as to whether my clear bra and opticoat were going to be covered...
Old 05-03-2016, 07:47 AM   #8
RedFR-s
Builder/Driver/Enthusiast

Drives: 2013 FR-S 6MT Turbo Firestorm
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skurj View Post
Apart from facility, or some insurance company that covers your house, your business, your 14 kids and their families, that they have been covering for the last 45 years...

Are there any mod friendly insurance companies in Ontario (the GTA specifically?)

I got a big hassle when i went to 18's on my BRZ originally because the ins co could find no evidence of the car coming like that from the factory so no not allowed... ( i was refused ins by that company - TD)
nvm the lowering springs...

(car is now completely stock.. almost, oops i didn't tell the ins company about the TPMS sensors in the wheels.. the BRZ never did come that way in Canada...)
I went looking when I slapped my turbo on and only the faculty will cover extensive mods. The TD MM coverage is brutal. I argued with them about mods once because they said the same about winter tires and I said there's a government mandated rebate for winter tires now (Ugh!). Their list of unapproved mods is ridiculous.

I have noticed if you're under $5k in mods that don't significantly impact vehicle characteristics most companies are ok. That being said, $5k doesn't go very far.
2013 Honda CBR 250 Repsol- Toy
2017 Toyota Tacoma - The Rig
RedFR-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 08:16 AM   #9
drewbot
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Drives: '13 Whiteout FR-S A/T
Thanked 1,452 Times in 752 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quote:

The car was actually smacked in a parking lot a couple weeks ago, and there was some question as to whether my clear bra and opticoat were going to be covered...
The body shop made note of my clear bra when my car got hit and replaced the affected areas as a part of their repair. The Opticoat was sorta annoying - they would only cover a nominal amount per panel that was affected. Luckily they also covered the neighbouring panels too. In the end the Opticoat "cheque" they cut me only covered half the cost of re-doing the entire car.
drewbot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to drewbot For This Useful Post:
chermo12 (05-03-2016)
Old 05-03-2016, 06:54 PM   #10
Skurj

Supposedly I am getting a cheque to cover the cost of the clear bra and opticoat, I wasn't letting the body shop do that work, its going to Hamza for that work.

I guess I should have said, the biggest issue is if you don't disclose you have the mods (when asked) and you do get into accident and then they can refuse your claim drop you right then and there for failing to disclose...
Old 05-03-2016, 10:27 PM   #11
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Supposedly I am getting a cheque to cover the cost of the clear bra and opticoat, I wasn't letting the body shop do that work, its going to Hamza for that work.

I guess I should have said, the biggest issue is if you don't disclose you have the mods (when asked) and you do get into accident and then they can refuse your claim drop you right then and there for failing to disclose...
That can, and does, happen depending on the company.

As for TD, I've heard nothing but horror stories about anything resembling a sports car with Meloche Monnex.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:15 AM   #12
Bzives

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewbot View Post

Wow thats crazy, so they would rather you keep your all seasons on and then have to process an accident claim come winter time?
Bzives is offline   Reply With Quote