follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Mid-Atlantic

Mid-Atlantic DC, DE, MD, VA, WV

User Tag List

Old 03-25-2014, 09:26 PM   #1
Justinyuen16

Drives: White Monogram 6MT 2014
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Coilovers vs Springs

Hey Guys,

I'm new to car mods and I was wondering which would be better coilovers or springs?
I know there's a different thread else where but our area, the weather is temperamental, as everyone can see by our spring snow. But also I heard that coilovers aren't good with salt. Also that springs kill wheels. I've looked around and I see different things.
I have a MT Monogram, and I don't plan on taking it to the track, which apparently also makes a difference.

What should I take into consideration? maybe pros and cons? any suggestions?
Justinyuen16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:51 PM   #2
camelflage

Drives: pinto power
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I don't track my cars, and I've always gone with something like a Megan or bc coilover for the adjustability and ease of install. You can get some silicone spray and coat the coils to prevent dirt and grime buildup. Go with spring rates that are close to stock for a comfortable street ride. My .02...

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
camelflage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to camelflage For This Useful Post:
Justinyuen16 (03-26-2014)
Old 03-26-2014, 03:31 PM   #3
Tank
Mumbler

Drives: Sensibly
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I don't have any ft86 specific input, but can comment from a holistic standpoint of modifying cars in MD.

I've done both setups on various German cars. My favorite for a daily was just a basic set of 1.5"-2" lowering springs (not super stiff) with the correct shocks (matched to the springs & suited for the change in suspension travel ranges).

I've also bent wheels on various setups -- cast wheels with large open space between spokes seems to be a recipe for easy bending. The higher your spring rates, the harder they're going to push into whatever you hit.

A high quality coilover setup (with a good coat of paint) should fare quite well for a few winters, but you'll still be dealing with rust (with any suspension, really). But that can also be a good thing if you consider rust a form of loctite.

If you're not driving the car hard enough to notice whether you want less body roll, more over steer or under steer, and don't feel the need to tweak those settings, you're probably fine with some springs/shocks. (if you do autocross, think of starting with adding or removing psi from the rear tires for a change in over/under steer)

The other reason to go coilovers may be to fit wider, or larger wheels (usually cosmetic). I'm not sure of the FRS/BRZ, but other cars sometimes require this for wheel fitment reasons.
Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tank For This Useful Post:
Justinyuen16 (03-27-2014)
Old 03-27-2014, 08:05 PM   #4
Jaylyons1

Drives: 2022 WRB BRZ; 1993 Skyline GT-R
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Coil overs are generally always better but more costly. Springs are a cheaper alternative although you can always do it right and replace your shocks as well but then you can sometimes get into the price range of lower level coil overs.

With my BRZ I went with RCE Springs. I didn't want a drop really at all and they have a very mild drop. I like the higher spring rates. In my WRX though, I went with coil overs. It really depends on what you want to do. There are so many different styles out there.

One big thing to realize is that your stock shocks are not meant to be used with most aftermarket springs so if you get anything over an inch drop, you are going to most likely damage the stock assembly. It shouldn't happen immediately but it will probably happen.
Jaylyons1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:13 PM   #5
ModBargains.com

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Ill throw in my 2 cents.

When I buy a new car, I don't even look at springs mainly because I want the adjustability out of a coilover because I want my particular settings, and I like having the ability of changing the ride height when I need to. Springs are inexpensive which is nice, but the ride height is set, and springs due to the limited shock travel tends to wear out shocks a bit quicker than they would have with the factory springs.

All coilovers are not created the same, some have more options than others, some are more expensive than others. BC's are entry level coilovers, they offer ride height adjustments, and rebound/compression adjustment as well AND camber plates, which is a lot for an entry level coilover. KW's are what I run on my car, and I run V3's which are more expensive, but they're damn good.

There's a lot to consider, but ultimately use the forum as your guide, you'll see a lot of great guys here recommending the best parts
ModBargains.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 03:44 AM   #6
Justinyuen16

Drives: White Monogram 6MT 2014
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaylyons1 View Post
With my BRZ I went with RCE Springs. I didn't want a drop really at all and they have a very mild drop. I like the higher spring rates. In my WRX though, I went with coil overs. It really depends on what you want to do. There are so many different styles out there.

One big thing to realize is that your stock shocks are not meant to be used with most aftermarket springs so if you get anything over an inch drop, you are going to most likely damage the stock assembly. It shouldn't happen immediately but it will probably happen.
With your RCE springs what kind of shocks did you get?
Old 03-29-2014, 03:40 PM   #7
Jaylyons1

Drives: 2022 WRB BRZ; 1993 Skyline GT-R
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinyuen16 View Post
With your RCE springs what kind of shocks did you get?
I still have the stock shocks. The RCE yellows only have a mild drop of 20mm so they should be fine with the stock shocks.
Jaylyons1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 07:37 PM   #8
kanundrum

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Thanked 3,016 Times in 1,711 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Coils because the money and pain youll spend doing springs and shocks you could have gotten coils.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:00 PM   #9
camelflage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanundrum View Post
Coils because the money and pain youll spend doing springs and shocks you could have gotten coils.
This. springs are cheap but DIY means spring compressors which i wont even touch anymore, or another 3-400 dollars at a shop to put them on. for that you can get a set of BC or Megan coils that do street duty just fine and its an easy off an on.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:56 AM   #10
Grimlock

Drives: BRZ and NA
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanundrum View Post

It depends on the price/quality. I'd much rather have $900 in shocks/springs than $900 coilovers. With cheap coilovers you're just asking for a bad time.
Grimlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:29 PM   #11
ecdhunt

Drives: 2013 SSM BRZ Limited MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
FWIW, you don't need spring compressors for this car. Check the easier spring install DIY. I picked up a set of used RCE yellows from a reputable member here for $150, and in less than 2 hours working at a slow and deliberate pace had a nice mild drop and improved performance. Ride is slightly better too. I did spend $40 in tools.

Depends on your goals, but the costs aren't really similar; if they are there is a difference in quality levels. As stated above, $900 in shocks and springs are likely better than the same cost in coils.

If you're not looking to run fat tires or slam your ride, learn how to install the springs and put the cash towards something else. The twins have pretty good shocks in stock form.

My $.02.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:33 PM   #12
camelflage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecdhunt View Post
FWIW, you don't need spring compressors for this car.
oh, well that changes the whole game.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:55 PM   #13
ecdhunt

Drives: 2013 SSM BRZ Limited MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by camelflage View Post
oh, well that changes the whole game.
I sense sarcasm - but for me it did. The spring install is so easy on this car.

But I'm an older dude too, so my objectives were probably different.

And I think that's the key - know what you're trying to achieve, then it's easier to make the right choice for your car.
Old 04-04-2014, 01:08 PM   #14
Marcoscrdo

Drives: 13' DGM Built FBM BRZ
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Garage
If your new to car mods then the most important part before choosing between coilovers and springs is if your car is going to be okay becoming lower than stock. The 86s are already low so getting a bit lower will affect where you drive everyday. Thats if your car is a daily, for me if the car was any lower I wouldnt be able to drive to my job parking lot lol.

At least thats what i think..
Marcoscrdo is offline   Reply With Quote