follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 12-19-2018, 05:17 AM   #15
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Nickmann: SPC LCAs have adjustable bolt on one end with large round washer. Turning that bolt it moves by that washer pushing against pressed out tabs.
They also include in set "toe kit", which are eccentric bushings for toe arm, but you don't have to use it.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 05:26 AM   #16
JIM THEO

Drives: BRZ 2018
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Camber bolts add no more than 1/2-3/4 degrees camber that's why no one mention it here, I can assure you they secure exactly the same way with eccentric bushes.
If your aim is about 2 degrees rear camber and you plan to lower the car camber bolts are more than enough as you'll gain some camber from the lowering.
For less understeer add FRONT camber bolts and set same or more camber than rear.
Hope I haven't had change the OEM bushes with Superpro but as you say no one told me about using only camber bolts.
This is my suggestion don't blame me if the final camber isn't enough for your likings...
JIM THEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 05:35 AM   #17
Nickmann

Drives: Subaru BRZ 2017
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Nickmann: SPC LCAs have adjustable bolt on one end with large round washer. Turning that bolt it moves by that washer pushing against pressed out tabs.
They also include in set "toe kit", which are eccentric bushings for toe arm, but you don't have to use it.
Okay, now I got that. Thanks a lot for your help. But there are still a bit more expensive than the bushings and for sure a lot more expensive then the camber bolts. I will think about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM THEO View Post
Camber bolts add no more than 1/2-3/4 degrees camber that's why no one mention it here, I can assure you they secure exactly the same way with eccentric bushes.
If your aim is about 2 degrees rear camber and you plan to lower the car camber bolts are more than enough as you'll gain some camber from the lowering.
For less understeer add FRONT camber bolts and set same or more camber than rear.
Hope I haven't had change the OEM bushes with Superpro but as you say no one told me about using only camber bolts.
This is my suggestion don't blame me if the final camber isn't enough for your likings...
Okay, makes sense... My plan is to install front camber bolts anyway, so it might be enough to only use your recommended camber bolts for the rear. I would be fine with to have almost the same stock-alignment like before lowering the car down.

I think I will try the camber bolts for the rear since I don't want to adjust a lot of camber there. But what I still do not get is: Why is there no need to dismount the wheels with the bolts while there is a need to dismont them when I've installed the eccentric bushings - isn't the procedure the same?
Old 12-19-2018, 05:49 AM   #18
Nickmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Camberbolts for rear CA? While not directly listed as made for, seems that H&R TC112 or TC212 camberbolts might be used for rear camber adjustment for rear. But range very small (+/-0.5dg), so mostly such option can be considered just to even out, not dial in much more. And probably even more so won't fit for OP, when hearing his concerns about DE MOT legality.
And also thank you for this, it seems that those bolts will fit in the rear. If I paint them in the same colour like the oem bolts, I don't think I will have big issues with MOT (=TÜV in Germany). The only question is, if 0.5 to 0.75 deegrees will be enough for my driving purposes (dd with oem adjustment-style, bit less understeering, bit more oversteering).
Old 12-19-2018, 05:50 AM   #19
JIM THEO

In order to adjust the bushes you need to turn them that is impossible with wheels loaded on the ground and bolts in their place, on the other hand you just turn the camber bolts to adjust camber, so easy and much cheaper.
Old 12-19-2018, 06:01 AM   #20
JIM THEO

The difficult part is to find M12X1,25 65mm camber bolts
Old 12-19-2018, 06:31 AM   #21
Nickmann

Quote:
The difficult part is to find M12X1,25 65mm camber bolts
Seems like the H&R Triple C TC212 bolts will work. At least they are M12.

Thanks a lot to all to you. As a summary I would say the following:
- SPC LCAs would be the best solution, but expensive, illegal in DE, maybe not very noticeable
- Bushings best compromise, but hard to align, also illegal but not very noticeable
- Camber bolts cheapest solution, easy to install, easy to adjust, also not very noticeable, but give you only 0.5° adjustment possibilty
Old 12-19-2018, 07:52 AM   #22
Nickmann

One last question regarding the bolts, guys:

Are they meant to sit there where the eccentric bushings supposed to be (inner side) or on the outer side of the LCA? Outer side would be way more comfortable to adjust.

Thx!
Old 12-19-2018, 08:52 AM   #23
churchx

From post i linked to, when mentioned H&R camberbolts in rear, "The adjustment range is less than +- 0.5* when mounted on the inner rear lower control arm mount". As suspension shop probably will adjust camber from below car on alignment rig, i doubt there to be much of a difference, on which LCA end. Easy access on both ends from below.
Also given limited adjustment range, they look more like as means to even out camber, not so much to increase. Hence i wonder if it's worth to bother much with them at all. Maybe just dial toe (there is both front and rear toe adjustment on our cars stock) and leave rear camber alone?
Old 12-19-2018, 01:24 PM   #24
jamal

Drives: Legacy GT
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Actually he posted wrong image although he is refereed to lower control arm bushings:

Those are that I have in my car:
http://scoobyworld.co.uk/catalog/pro...oducts_id=3603
Ah. For some reason those don't come up in the brz/frs listings on the superpro site, just when you look up impreza/wrx parts.

I guess the question is where is the alignment on OP's car now and where does he want it to be and what does the tuv say you can do to correct it. Personally I would rather use the bushings than a smaller diameter bolt on the LCA.
jamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 01:38 PM   #25
JIM THEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamal View Post
Ah. For some reason those don't come up in the brz/frs listings on the superpro site, just when you look up impreza/wrx parts.

I guess the question is where is the alignment on OP's car now and where does he want it to be and what does the tuv say you can do to correct it. Personally I would rather use the bushings than a smaller diameter bolt on the LCA.
BRZ and WRX share the same LCA, if there are available same not smaller size camber bolts with the OEM bolts I'd prefer them 1000%, you don't want to know how much difficult is to align with the bushings
Old 12-20-2018, 08:35 AM   #26
Nickmann

Quote:
BRZ and WRX share the same LCA, if there are available same not smaller size camber bolts with the OEM bolts I'd prefer them 1000%, you don't want to know how much difficult is to align with the bushings
Maybe I'm thinking somehow wrong, but would a camber bolt with the same size like the normal bolt even fit? I thought they have to have a smaller diameter to fit through the hole.

And if the camber bolt has to be one size smaller than the regular bold, I'm still a bit scared if it wouldn't crack while doing stupid things like drifting etc.

Still not really sure if I shouldn't stick to the bushings and pay a bit more for the alignment...or buying those bit more expenisve spc lcas which I have to register at TÜV afterwards (which is even more money, but in the end the best way for adjustment).
Old 12-20-2018, 09:12 AM   #27
churchx

I'm looking on for example these. "Fully TUV certified and made in Germany". So to me it looks not so that LCAs are illegal and cannot be TÜV legal, but simply for now there are no TÜV certified LCAs for twins.
Given that one of rebranded adjustable stamped steel LCAs is sold by Eibach (DE vendor, right?) alongside Whiteline & SPC, i'd try to contact/email them regarding
TÜV certification for those ..
Old 12-20-2018, 02:21 PM   #28
JIM THEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickmann View Post
Maybe I'm thinking somehow wrong, but would a camber bolt with the same size like the normal bolt even fit? I thought they have to have a smaller diameter to fit through the hole.

And if the camber bolt has to be one size smaller than the regular bold, I'm still a bit scared if it wouldn't crack while doing stupid things like drifting etc.

Still not really sure if I shouldn't stick to the bushings and pay a bit more for the alignment...or buying those bit more expenisve spc lcas which I have to register at TÜV afterwards (which is even more money, but in the end the best way for adjustment).
I mean same size camber bolt including the adjustment ring it comes with