follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-14-2019, 07:57 PM   #1
Shizuka
Member
 
Shizuka's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Drives: 2018 BRZ PP (Modified)
Location: CA
Posts: 94
Thanks: 37
Thanked 49 Times in 32 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Headlight adjustment on 2017+ BRZ?

So I was wondering if anyone has been able to adjust the headlight angle on their 2017+ (LEDs), I've read that they're "auto leveling" but since my car is lowered about 2", my headlights are now aiming at the ground essentially. So they haven't exactly "auto leveled"

I've seen the Cusco headlight leveler thing, but that says it's for 2013+ models so I'm not sure if it's really a perfect solution. I figure the 2017s have to have some way to adjust the headlight angle, since every other car I've ever owned has had some kind of manual adjustment. I just haven't been able to find definitive answers digging around online and in the forum and paying $60 for the Cusco part that's essentially a simple bolt-like contraption seems... lame?
Shizuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 08:57 PM   #2
Grady
Senior Member
 
Grady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Drives: BRZ Yellow, 00 outback, 05 Colorado
Location: Dallas
Posts: 853
Thanks: 180
Thanked 617 Times in 352 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Yes there is an adjustment nut on the back.
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 12:10 AM   #3
Shizuka
Member
 
Shizuka's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Drives: 2018 BRZ PP (Modified)
Location: CA
Posts: 94
Thanks: 37
Thanked 49 Times in 32 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
On the link by the control arm?
Shizuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 01:00 AM   #4
dhuang
Cannonball Record Guy
 
dhuang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: Series.Yellow, 4C, Fit
Location: Houston / Atlanta
Posts: 475
Thanks: 458
Thanked 402 Times in 214 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I believe they are "auto leveling" to compensate for vehicle load, and they only adjust once after the car starts. There should be a way to independently adjust the headlights on the '17+, but I haven't had to do it for setup.

I'm lowered on RCE Yellows and use SPC LCAs which have the attachment for the leveler. They are still aimed correctly after the install.
__________________
2017 Series.Yellow
2013 Whiteout

VINwiki - Changing Automotive History
dhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 06:38 AM   #5
gpvecchi
Senior Member
 
gpvecchi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Drives: Toyota GT86 G model
Location: Italy
Posts: 500
Thanks: 104
Thanked 114 Times in 68 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Lowering the car lowers headlights as sensor is only on the back and let electronic that you have load on your back. So, either nut on the headlight, or an adjustable bracket like the Cusco.
gpvecchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 11:03 AM   #6
Vital
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Drives: 2015 BRZ
Location: Texas
Posts: 567
Thanks: 182
Thanked 283 Times in 210 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizuka View Post
So I was wondering if anyone has been able to adjust the headlight angle on their 2017+ (LEDs), I've read that they're "auto leveling" but since my car is lowered about 2", my headlights are now aiming at the ground essentially. So they haven't exactly "auto leveled"

I've seen the Cusco headlight leveler thing, but that says it's for 2013+ models so I'm not sure if it's really a perfect solution. I figure the 2017s have to have some way to adjust the headlight angle, since every other car I've ever owned has had some kind of manual adjustment. I just haven't been able to find definitive answers digging around online and in the forum and paying $60 for the Cusco part that's essentially a simple bolt-like contraption seems... lame?
This is how you adjust them...
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...=123568&page=2
Vital is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vital For This Useful Post:
Shizuka (08-15-2019)
Old 08-15-2019, 11:16 AM   #7
ayoshioka1
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Drives: 2019 BRZ / E36 325is
Location: Irvine CA
Posts: 79
Thanks: 7
Thanked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
i lowered my 2019 brz premium model recently on fortune autos and the headlights did not level themselves. So i leveled them myself with the adjustment knob on the back of the headlight with an 8mm ratcheting wrench. Now the headlights are perfectly level to my liking.
__________________
CUSCO USA - CLEIB - R COMPOUND
ayoshioka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 05:51 PM   #8
Shizuka
Member
 
Shizuka's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Drives: 2018 BRZ PP (Modified)
Location: CA
Posts: 94
Thanks: 37
Thanked 49 Times in 32 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoshioka1 View Post
i lowered my 2019 brz premium model recently on fortune autos and the headlights did not level themselves. So i leveled them myself with the adjustment knob on the back of the headlight with an 8mm ratcheting wrench. Now the headlights are perfectly level to my liking.
sounds good, I'll try that
Shizuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 05:57 PM   #9
Grady
Senior Member
 
Grady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Drives: BRZ Yellow, 00 outback, 05 Colorado
Location: Dallas
Posts: 853
Thanks: 180
Thanked 617 Times in 352 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoshioka1 View Post
i lowered my 2019 brz premium model recently on fortune autos and the headlights did not level themselves. So i leveled them myself with the adjustment knob on the back of the headlight with an 8mm ratcheting wrench. Now the headlights are perfectly level to my liking.
They did level themselves. That is how they work. When you put weight in the back of the vehicle and it gets lower they automatically point down some to keep from blinding oncoming traffic. There is no sensor on the front of the vehicle because that ride hight stays almost the same when you load up the vehicle.
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 06:59 PM   #10
ayoshioka1
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Drives: 2019 BRZ / E36 325is
Location: Irvine CA
Posts: 79
Thanks: 7
Thanked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady View Post
They did level themselves. That is how they work. When you put weight in the back of the vehicle and it gets lower they automatically point down some to keep from blinding oncoming traffic. There is no sensor on the front of the vehicle because that ride hight stays almost the same when you load up the vehicle.
If they "leveled" themselves it would be at the perfect height which it isnt. It's not a perfect system where it should take into an account for the ratio between front and rear. But these systems only account for the rear load and adjusts accordingly. Since lowering the car on all 4's the car immediately thinks that the rear has been slammed telling the headlights to drooop downwards more than it should. The real fix is to just go and get yourself a Cusco headlight adjuster rod that replaces the factory rod with an adjustable one. But who the hell would want to adjust the headlights via from under the car? Just save the few bucks and do it from the headlight. No harm no foul. ez fix.
__________________
CUSCO USA - CLEIB - R COMPOUND
ayoshioka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
2017 brz, headlight, headlights

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2017 M/T, 29k miles, requiring valve adjustment Mr. Kurtz Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB 19 03-06-2019 01:08 PM
No headlight adjustment on these cars? Eighty 6 Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) 10 12-10-2015 04:32 PM
Headlight assembly adjustment ARTBRZ Subaru BRZ General Forum 2 08-13-2015 12:19 AM
Headlight assembly adjustment ARTBRZ DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides 0 08-11-2015 11:04 PM
Winjet Headlight adjustment help 7M-King Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) 2 09-07-2014 08:52 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.