follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum - FT86CLUB > Subaru BRZ > Subaru BRZ General Forum

Subaru BRZ General Forum All discussions about the Subaru BRZ coupe


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-24-2018, 07:50 AM   #169
krayzie
Elite Transmissionist
 
krayzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Location: Filth City
Posts: 4,892
Thanks: 2,356
Thanked 3,089 Times in 1,995 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikyone View Post
VW's MQB platform is a great example, this:



is based on the same "platform" as this:



For comparison, the sizes/weights of those two are (rounded):

Audi TT: 4.2m x 1.8m x 1.3m (l x w x h), wheelbase = 2.5m, 1200-1400kg
Skoda Kodiaq: 4.7m x 1.9m x 1.7m, wheelbase = 2.8m, 1400-1800kg

They are substantially different in every conceivable way, yet they share a common platform. The upcoming Audi A1 is likely to be smaller than the TT, and that is also based on MQB!
And this is supposedly a good thing for the bean counters I understand. And that Mk3 TT felt like the size of a truck when I simply sat in it at the auto show.
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:01 AM   #170
Yoshoobaroo
Chips & Torque Dip
 
Yoshoobaroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Drives: 2013 BRZ
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,821
Thanks: 834
Thanked 1,362 Times in 741 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Next Gen BRZ/86!

Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzie View Post
And this is supposedly a good thing for the bean counters I understand. And that Mk3 TT felt like the size of a truck when I simply sat in it at the auto show.


Eh, it's only 1/2" longer than the mark 2 (4.5" more than the mark 1) and it weighs 200 lbs less than the original (top trim vs top trim), and it's widely hailed as the best handling car in VW/Audi's current lineup (R8 notwithstanding). The lightest MK3 (FWD manual) actually only weighs 2714lbs!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:12 AM   #171
Tcoat
He who smelt it...
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 2020 Hakone
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 60,173
Thanks: 53,048
Thanked 86,878 Times in 38,668 Posts
Mentioned: 2198 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
I don't think he has an engineering background. He is constantly trying to ridiculate weight reduction, even in the range of 200lbs, and that removing weight from rotational parts has zero effect. I am sure he'll ridiculate even the fact that Porsche offers as option a single mass flywheel.
No I do not have an engineering background yet I deal with engineering issues every single day. I have worked in technical positions in the Tier One auto industry for almost 30 years and a bit does rub off.
I have never ridiculed weight reduction. I have questioned your claimed results from performing random parts changes. The fun part is that so has every other single person that has responded to your claims. You yourself open almost every post on the subject with "nobody agrees but I have...". You are yet again saying that every other person is wrong about the platform and the only supporter that you have is somebody that obviously has not had any contact with the industry for 20 or more years and thinks things are still done as they used to be.
Get over trying to attack me and listen to what is being said.
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tcoat For This Useful Post:
tomm.brz (04-24-2018), Yoshoobaroo (04-24-2018)
Old 04-24-2018, 08:33 AM   #172
Tcoat
He who smelt it...
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 2020 Hakone
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 60,173
Thanks: 53,048
Thanked 86,878 Times in 38,668 Posts
Mentioned: 2198 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo View Post

This is exactly what global platforms are for: Scaling.
The platform has all the basic features a car's chassis needs: Subframe interface points, a floor pan, bulkheads and firewalls, suspension pickup points, etc. The dimensions between them are variable, as the real engineering is figuring out how these subcomponents fit together. Once you figure out a solid way of putting the chassis together, you can change dimensions to suit your applications.

VW uses the MQB platform from the Polo to the Atlas, the latter being pretty much twice the size as the former. It also underpins 3/4 of everything VW/Audi/SEAT/Skoda make, including the low slung TT and massive SUVs. The Nissan FM platform underpins the 350Z/370Z and Skyline, the Infiniti FX SUVs, a bunch of RWD sedans, eventually the R35 GTR, and a GODDAMN FWD MINIVAN Yes, the 370Z shares its platform with a FWD minivan.


Mechanical Engineer can be any industry. It merely denotes an area of expertise, in my case Mechanical design, Static and dynamic analysis, scalable architecture design, and design for manufacturing, among others. Regardless, the governing principles are the same. Stress, strain, CTE, mass, inertia, vibrations and dynamics, it all applies accross industries. A good engineer can hop between them and excel in multiple fields.

Again, refer to my previous paragraph about platform sharing. This is nothing new. The whole point of scalable platforms are the fact that they're, what? Scalable? naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

I think the idea of a scalable platform is lost on him. He is still living in the 60s when they changes a grill and called a car a different brand.


This:





This:





And this:





Are all built on the MC platform. There have been and still are a total of over 30 totally different vehicles in all sorts of shapes, sizes, and drivetrains built on this platform since the 1990s and here we are being told that once a platform is built everything must be the same size and drive train.


Gotta love the whole "ask and engineer but only one that agrees with me" comments.
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tcoat For This Useful Post:
Yoshoobaroo (04-24-2018)
Old 04-24-2018, 10:49 AM   #173
Yoshoobaroo
Chips & Torque Dip
 
Yoshoobaroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Drives: 2013 BRZ
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,821
Thanks: 834
Thanked 1,362 Times in 741 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Gotta love the whole "ask an engineer but only one that agrees with me" comments.


🤣


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 11:51 AM   #174
nikitopo
Senior Member
 
nikitopo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ
Location: York
Posts: 2,931
Thanks: 1,808
Thanked 1,387 Times in 937 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
No I do not have an engineering background yet I deal with engineering issues every single day. I have worked in technical positions in the Tier One auto industry for almost 30 years and a bit does rub off.
I have never ridiculed weight reduction. I have questioned your claimed results from performing random parts changes. The fun part is that so has every other single person that has responded to your claims. You yourself open almost every post on the subject with "nobody agrees but I have...". You are yet again saying that every other person is wrong about the platform and the only supporter that you have is somebody that obviously has not had any contact with the industry for 20 or more years and thinks things are still done as they used to be.
Get over trying to attack me and listen to what is being said.


It was clear that you don't have an engineering background and no matter your years of "experience", you'll always have an unclear understanding of how things work. It is what it is for people that don't have an appropriate background and have to deepen into the details. Try to share some knowledge in your level of expertise and not about everything. Or as it has been suggested, find someone with an engineering background and let him explain to you the details. You are just ridiculate yourself with such opinions. A random part of changes? How do you think STI or TRD or other sport divisions are working? They'll contact specific vendors and in many cases they'll just re-brand existing parts. Why do you attack me for example and not Shiv who provided so many years a generic tune for EL/UEL catless headers? From your point of view a generic tune for a header will give zero gains. Same about your reasoning on the global platform. What is your technical reasoning apart from playing with words and providing random examples from the internet? We are discussing here about the future of the 86/BRZ platform and I provided specific examples of how the BRZ was specialized. Same about other people who were trying to explain to you in detail that the new global platform is not appropriate for a real sports car. We were not doing a generic discussion.


Are you really searching for supporters over here? Personally, I'm not. If something is wrong, then it's wrong and I don't care who agrees or not. If you think that you have a "fun base" and that they'll support you in whatever case, then it is not how things should work. Especially when you are spreading non-sense with non-existent technical reasoning. I don't know if the mods like the forum to work like this, but it is certainly the wrong way!
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 12:03 PM   #175
Tcoat
He who smelt it...
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 2020 Hakone
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 60,173
Thanks: 53,048
Thanked 86,878 Times in 38,668 Posts
Mentioned: 2198 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
It was clear that you don't have an engineering background and no matter your years of "experience", you'll always have an unclear understanding of how things work. It is what it is for people that don't have an appropriate background and have to deepen into the details. Try to share some knowledge in your level of expertise and not about everything. Or as it has been suggested, find someone with an engineering background and let him explain to you the details. You are just ridiculate yourself with such opinions. A random part of changes? How do you think STI or TRD or other sport divisions are working? They'll contact specific vendors and in many cases they'll just re-brand existing parts. Why do you attack me for example and not Shiv who provided so many years a generic tune for EL/UEL catless headers? From your point of view a generic tune for a header will give zero gains. Same about your reasoning on the global platform. What is your technical reasoning apart from playing with words and providing random examples from the internet? We are discussing here about the future of the 86/BRZ platform and I provided specific examples of how the BRZ was specialized. Same about other people who were trying to explain to you in detail that the new global platform is not appropriate for a real sports car. We were not doing a generic discussion.


Are you really searching for supporters over here? Personally, I'm not. If something is wrong, then it's wrong and I don't care who agrees or not. If you think that you have a "fun base" and that they'll support you in whatever case, then it is not how things should work. Especially when you are spreading non-sense with non-existent technical reasoning. I don't know if the mods like the forum to work like this, but it is certainly the wrong way!
There is not one thing that I have said that is not technically accurate. It just isn't what you want to think so in your standard manner you simply dismiss it. This is a speculation thread and the possibility that they could use the Global Platform is a reasonable part of such. I fully understand the details and do not need anything explained to me. When an engineer supported exactly what I said he was also summarily dismissed so the whole "get an engineer" thing is just more of your smoke and mirrors. It is not a matter of garnering support that people agree with what I said it because it is the reality and not some fantasy world as you seem to live in.
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tcoat For This Useful Post:
tomm.brz (04-24-2018), Yoshoobaroo (04-24-2018)
Old 04-24-2018, 12:11 PM   #176
tomm.brz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Drives: brz 2017
Location: italy
Posts: 1,270
Thanks: 297
Thanked 454 Times in 372 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
lol @ nikitopo complaining about Shiv here for no reason... He always made clear his cam timing were for specific header he either sells or ft86speedfactory sells..and he just made them available for free for everyone not because he sells OTS tune but because he sells oft and since most of people does not have an idea how to set a tune from scratch, he gives them a good base
if you dont like them don t use them and dont spit on them, you have not the right to do so...
you just have to enjoy your expensive canned tune with your 1500$ OEM header with huge cat : )

alsp you seem to not understand that the only way to tune the cams is with your specific car on a dyno and try to find what pulls the most power out.. you think a tuner can do that remotely?
but well your 250-260bhp car pulls already over a Porsche, you dont need a perfect cam setting right?
tomm.brz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 03:27 PM   #177
bkharmony
Senior Member
 
bkharmony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Drives: 2017 86GT
Location: North Texas
Posts: 325
Thanks: 562
Thanked 334 Times in 166 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
Are you really searching for supporters over here? Personally, I'm not. If something is wrong, then it's wrong and I don't care who agrees or not. If you think that you have a "fun base" and that they'll support you in whatever case, then it is not how things should work. Especially when you are spreading non-sense with non-existent technical reasoning. I don't know if the mods like the forum to work like this, but it is certainly the wrong way!
You make this place fun.
bkharmony is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bkharmony For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (04-24-2018), tomm.brz (04-24-2018)
Old 04-24-2018, 03:45 PM   #178
Yoshoobaroo
Chips & Torque Dip
 
Yoshoobaroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Drives: 2013 BRZ
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,821
Thanks: 834
Thanked 1,362 Times in 741 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
If you think that you have a "fun base" and that they'll support you in whatever case, then it is not how things should work. Especially when you are spreading non-sense with non-existent technical reasoning. I don't know if the mods like the forum to work like this, but it is certainly the wrong way!


This has nothing to do with @Tcoat 's so called fan base. On this topic he's technically correct, the best kind of correct.

Go dig around Wikipedia if you want more info, there is enough technical info about cars, their platforms, predecessors and successors for days of research.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoshoobaroo For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (04-24-2018)
Old 04-24-2018, 05:43 PM   #179
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic
 
mrg666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 1,543
Thanks: 1,387
Thanked 859 Times in 579 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
It was clear that you don't have an engineering background and no matter your years of "experience", you'll always have an unclear understanding of how things work.
I have a PhD in engineering and I taught at graduate and undergraduate level Mechanical and Chemical engineering in MA. In my opinion, you have no idea what you are talking about. I would hire one tcoat instead of a dozen engineers like you.
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrg666 For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (04-24-2018), tomm.brz (04-24-2018)
Old 04-24-2018, 05:57 PM   #180
nikitopo
Senior Member
 
nikitopo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ
Location: York
Posts: 2,931
Thanks: 1,808
Thanked 1,387 Times in 937 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
So ...

@Tcoat @bkharmony @Yoshoobaroo @mrg666

Nothing more specific on the particular topic apart from personal attacks and insults. Well done!




I am exluding @tomm.brz because he seems to have some real issue with comprehension as a non native speaker.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 06:14 PM   #181
Yoshoobaroo
Chips & Torque Dip
 
Yoshoobaroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Drives: 2013 BRZ
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,821
Thanks: 834
Thanked 1,362 Times in 741 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Something tells me we should stop feeding the trolls, guys.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 06:21 PM   #182
Tcoat
He who smelt it...
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 2020 Hakone
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 60,173
Thanks: 53,048
Thanked 86,878 Times in 38,668 Posts
Mentioned: 2198 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo View Post
Something tells me we should stop feeding the trolls, guys.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ya I think you are correct. Anything else we put in front of him will just be discarded anyway. As hard as I look at my reply to his lengthy attack and futile attempt to discredit me I do not see where I attacked him back in any form of personal manner.

Anybody with even a basic level of comprehension understands what we we saying so if a few want to disbelieve they are welcome to carry on doing so.
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tcoat For This Useful Post:
bkharmony (04-24-2018), tomm.brz (04-24-2018)
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.