follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List

Old 03-07-2019, 10:44 AM   #463
toyotastic
Product Advisor at TTown

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86 Special Edition
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryzilla View Post
Just outside my little subdivision.. surprised i haven't seen you around before. Special edition too
f-150 was definitely on his/her phone, that was a VERY hard hit. Hope you're feeling okay, sore at all?
I'm 99% sure the the car's totaled, I'm sorry
Yeah, 860 special edition. Neck, hips and back pain, but mostly headache that's bothering me the most.
toyotastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 11:04 AM   #464
toyotastic
Product Advisor at TTown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxis View Post
It's hard to say. Because your car is pretty new, I think it has a good chance to be fixed because the value of the car will remain high. Total loss is determined by the cost of repairs against the perceived value of the car so there would have to be significant invisible damage to be total loss I think. Regarding airbags, they do not normally deploy in a rear end hit so this is also to your benefit in getting the car fixed as opposed to totaled. Also, were you able to drive your vehicle after the hit? Did it drive OK? This is also a factor.

I accidentally backed into a concrete barrier really hard a few months ago when I passed out while reversing. While the extent of the damage to my car wasn't as severe, it looks like the same basic things got hit. In my case, it was *just* hard enough to jack up my bumper, trunk lid, passenger side quarter panel, exhaust to the point that they all had to be completely replaced and there was also did some minor unibody damage too. Quote was 12k and it was fixed. You lost your rear glass but it looks like your exhaust is still fine so that is mostly a trade in value I think. I imagine yours will be pretty close to mine in cost to repair unless there is significant invisible damage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I would not be at all surprised to find that one will be totaled. Not because of the cosmetic damage to the panels but due to the fact that his crash bar is pushed forward about a foot. That has to have caused some considerable underbody warping. They can work miracles with the straightening machine but that could be more than will be worth fixing.
The car hasn't been driven since. It was towed and been sitting at the compound yard waiting for the insurance appraiser. I went back to take a closer look at the car, the part where the spare tire is sitting is actually push into the rear seats. I'm not an expert but i'm guessing that would've cause some damage to the frame/underbody like Tcoat mentioned. To be honest, I rather they write it off than fixing it. Even if it is fixable, I don't know if I would trust the car and there would be a big hit on the resell value like you mentioned.
Old 03-07-2019, 12:21 PM   #465
Lynxis

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotastic View Post
The car hasn't been driven since. It was towed and been sitting at the compound yard waiting for the insurance appraiser. I went back to take a closer look at the car, the part where the spare tire is sitting is actually push into the rear seats. I'm not an expert but i'm guessing that would've cause some damage to the frame/underbody like Tcoat mentioned. To be honest, I rather they write it off than fixing it. Even if it is fixable, I don't know if I would trust the car and there would be a big hit on the resell value like you mentioned.
Quote:
I would not be at all surprised to find that one will be totaled. Not because of the cosmetic damage to the panels but due to the fact that his crash bar is pushed forward about a foot. That has to have caused some considerable underbody warping. They can work miracles with the straightening machine but that could be more than will be worth fixing.
When you mention that the spare tire space has been pushed so far forward, I agree it's not good. I will say there is no reason to distrust a car that was in a rear end impact if it was fixed by quality professionals. It certainly won't just fall apart on you although you might get some new rattles in the repaired area due to things not fitting up quite as well as they did before the accident but yes, decreased value is always something to consider.
Lynxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 06:23 PM   #466
James H

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I was in a similar situation last year. In my wife's Honda Accord stopped at a red light on Lakeshore and Bathurst. A tractor trailer was stopped behind me and all of a sudden when the light turned green, he rear ended me twice. Must have been an inexperienced young driver who has not learned to drive the big rig. Ended up with $12K damage and they did fix the car. Luckily because the guy was not at speed, their was no damage to the frame. It crushed the bumper and impact beam, truck etc and I was not hurt. It was a hell of a jolt though. The frustrating part is that even though the car is fixed, a repair record like that on Carfax will cause a huge hit in the resale value. Sucks that you pay someone else mistake. It is especially true for a new car. I know someone at work who got rear ended in his three week old Acura TLX. Everything was fixed and paid by insurance (not his fault obviously) but the insurance adjuster said that his resale-trade in value will drop by $3-5K.
James H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 06:26 PM   #467
James H

Quote:
Yeah, 860 special edition. Neck, hips and back pain, but mostly headache that's bothering me the most.

I guess the lucky part is that you didn't get t-boned when you were pushed out onto the intersection or that you didn't hit a pedestrian when you were pushed. I cannot even imagine if someone was crossing the street. Even though that would not be your fault, it will be very tragic.
The Following User Says Thank You to James H For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-08-2019)
Old 03-07-2019, 11:55 PM   #468
Turbo

Drives: FR-S Turbo
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:

So sorry to read about this.

You may want to consult with a lawyer before even considering signing off on anything - especially if you believe the other party was on the phone, and therefore criminally negligent. There are the very real issues of getting an actual fair market payout for your car and also proper treatment and perhaps compensation your injuries.

Insurance companies can be grossly unfair and act in their best interest and theirs alone. Right now, you are just an expense to them.

Those aches and pains you are feeling could end up being issues for life. An ex-GF of mine was rear ended about 20 years ago and to this day she still needs massage therapy and other treatments to deal with neck issues. It's cost her tens of thousands of dollars out of pocket, all without compensation because she signed off on everything when they showed up with a cheque for the car
Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 08:18 AM   #469
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo View Post
So sorry to read about this.

You may want to consult with a lawyer before even considering signing off on anything - especially if you believe the other party was on the phone, and therefore criminally negligent. There are the very real issues of getting an actual fair market payout for your car and also proper treatment and perhaps compensation your injuries.

Insurance companies can be grossly unfair and act in their best interest and theirs alone. Right now, you are just an expense to them.

Those aches and pains you are feeling could end up being issues for life. An ex-GF of mine was rear ended about 20 years ago and to this day she still needs massage therapy and other treatments to deal with neck issues. It's cost her tens of thousands of dollars out of pocket, all without compensation because she signed off on everything when they showed up with a cheque for the car
Canada do not recognize diminished value through the insurance system. Yes, you can sue but there are only a handful of successful claims on record. Even those are on very expensive cars so anything you get for an 86 would be gone in lawyer fees. Just not worth it.

Suing for pain and suffering in Ontario is also almost impossible. You need to have a very serious and permanent injury to get anything at all. The threshold for even starting a lawsuit is well beyond most injuries. Your Ex would not have got squat just because she needs massage therapy.

This is NOT the USA where you can sue for huge amounts for anything and everything. There are very few successful lawsuits and even then the amounts of money involved are very limited.
Tokay444 (03-14-2019)
Old 03-12-2019, 10:40 PM   #470
Mader92

Drives: In need of go fast parts asap
Hey guys recently joined the forum and saw the London thread I live Oxford/Adelaide area and have a 2015 black FRS owned it since last July, mostly stock right now but work in progress. Would love to meet up and go on some cruises once she comes out of hibernation
Mader92 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mader92 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-13-2019)
Old 03-13-2019, 01:44 AM   #471
genericKC

Drives: 15' DGM BRZ
15' DGM BRZ, would be down, just shoot me a msg.
genericKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 09:55 AM   #472
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Truck bros are literally the worst. Had a Raptor try to cut me off yesterday. I think he was showing off to his little boy friend in the front seat.

Hopefully everything goes your way.

Quote:
So this happened this morning..
I was stopped at a red light for about 10 seconds waiting for the light to change. Then suddenly this F150 came out of no where and rear ended me directly at about 70km(according to an officer). The impact was significant enough that it pushed me across the intersection.

He claims he didn't see me but a normal person would still start to slow down when approaching a red light, not sure whether he was on the phone, distracted or whatever reasons. The glass shattered upon impact, rear completely destroyed, looks like the trunk is push in all the way to the rear seats. But airbags did not deploy. Anyway, glad that I'm alive! I have a footage from my dashcam, but haven't figured out how to upload it on here.

So is this fixable or will it most likely be a total loss?

Guess none of the pictures attached properly, heres the google drive link.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-v...t_sqk-T4RfavDm

Old 03-13-2019, 10:13 AM   #473
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talus1 View Post
From the RSP Motorsports website:

Please Join Us

RSP-Motorsports welcomes car enthusiasts to join us for an informal gathering where we can meet and share our passion for cars with others while enjoying a cup of coffee. We welcome all automobiles, classic, modern, concepts, motorsports, custom, and motorcycles.

Cars and Coffee 2018
RSP-Motorsports welcomes car enthusiasts to join us for an informal gathering where we can meet and share our passion for cars with others while enjoying a cup of coffee.

When:
Cars and Coffee will be held rain or shine from 8-11am on the second Sunday of each month this summer and is free to participate including the coffee and donuts.

Sunday June 10
Sunday July 08
Sunday August 12
Sunday September 09
Sunday October 14

The Wife and I went to the July 8 version. We showed up at about 8:30 and there were only a few cars. But they just kept coming and coming. When we finally left around 10:30 there were probably over a 100. Only a couple Twins but lots of other interesting things. The usual muscle cars and a few exotics plus some... other stuff. Well worth the trip to Kilworth.
]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mader92 View Post
Hey guys recently joined the forum and saw the London thread I live Oxford/Adelaide area and have a 2015 black FRS owned it since last July, mostly stock right now but work in progress. Would love to meet up and go on some cruises once she comes out of hibernation
I think that of the few of that there is most are on Facebook so we suck at getting together on the forum.
I have tried to make it out to the RSP cars and coffee a few times but was always tied up. Maybe they will post a schedule soon and we can actually plan to get a few of us there.

It is ironic that I have met about 100 of the NorCal crowd but only 2 from London.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:16 PM   #474
toyotastic
Product Advisor at TTown

Quote:
Canada do not recognize diminished value through the insurance system. Yes, you can sue but there are only a handful of successful claims on record. Even those are on very expensive cars so anything you get for an 86 would be gone in lawyer fees. Just not worth it.

Suing for pain and suffering in Ontario is also almost impossible. You need to have a very serious and permanent injury to get anything at all. The threshold for even starting a lawsuit is well beyond most injuries. Your Ex would not have got squat just because she needs massage therapy.

This is NOT the USA where you can sue for huge amounts for anything and everything. There are very few successful lawsuits and even then the amounts of money involved are very limited.
So my car has been deemed as a total loss. How does it work when a lease gets written off? Do insurance companies usually compensate for the part you already paid into the lease? I was nearly 2 years in and I was thinking to buy it out at the end of the lease.. I also put a small downpayment
Old 03-13-2019, 10:30 PM   #475
Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Drives: '13 Prius, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
So my car has been deemed as a total loss. How does it work when a lease gets written off? Do insurance companies usually compensate for the part you already paid into the lease? I was nearly 2 years in and I was thinking to buy it out at the end of the lease.. I also put a small downpayment
Insurance only pays for value of the car at the time of accident. Leases are meant to just cover for depreciation of the car (mostly) so what you paid for is likely never coming back.

Remember, a lease is a glorified loan. You don't have direct ownership.

OTA LIVE TIMING LINK
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:51 AM   #476
James H

If your is leased, the beneficiary on the insurance should be the bank or whoever you leased it from. The insurance company will deal directly with them and paid them. Unfortunately your lease payment is deemed to be rent paid for usage. Here is an article on the subject.
There may also be a settlement if the payout is less than the residual value depending on your lease agreement.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...ticle35005749/
The Following User Says Thank You to James H For This Useful Post:
Frost (03-14-2019)