follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 07-21-2022, 04:53 PM   #127
mycrors7

Drives: zd8 brz
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROFL it's Waffle View Post
I don't live in California though. Does it NEED to have an emissions label to be considered an emissions piece-part? I just figured some idiotic policy got enforced and some blanket statement addressed it.. but there's a dedicated label? Learn something new every day.

Ironically when I had my boosted S2K, the new owner (who lives in California) asked to see the label on the procharger for the CARB serial number... and sure enough, it was there (I had no idea).
Yes. Your hood has an emissions label noting everything your vehicle is equipped with to pass emissions. If it’s not on that label, then it will have an EO(executive order) number on it. The ONLY exception to the label is your EVAP and PCV system, which are federally required on all vehicles and are not mentioned on any labels and don’t require any EO.
The charcoal filter has nothing on it, isn’t mentioned in the emissions label and isn’t mentioned in any federal or state emissions document for 2022 emissions.

I can’t speak for upcoming years, but 2022 models can safely rip that filter out and it won’t affect any legalities for smog.
mycrors7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mycrors7 For This Useful Post:
jongers (07-21-2022), NoHaveMSG (07-21-2022)
Old 07-21-2022, 05:02 PM   #128
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,513 Times in 18,917 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
That's interesting. It costs money so, if not mandated, why does it exist?
Old 07-21-2022, 05:17 PM   #129
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,304 Times in 7,368 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Had anyone cut it open? Are we sure it’s a charcoal filter?

Doesn’t make sense to be where it is. Most evap purge is held back by the evap purge solenoid on the IM.
Old 07-21-2022, 05:47 PM   #130
Ogt

Drives: ‘13 AT FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I still have mine…. I believe… forgot to toss it so if @Tcoat allows it<3….
I will post pictures of contents.

If it’s not required then perhaps it’s some Subaru green-earth-virtue move? Just speculating based off of the emails I get now.
2nd Gen MasterRace member #069
Ogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 05:50 PM   #131
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogt View Post

If it’s not required then perhaps it’s some Subaru green-earth-virtue move? Just speculating based off of the emails I get now.
No way. They've been ubiquitous since the mid '00s, and it's ALWAYS about money.
Old 07-21-2022, 05:53 PM   #132
Chrisz5z

Drives: 2022 Steel GR86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post

Doesn’t make sense to be where it is. Most evap purge is held back by the evap purge solenoid on the IM.
photo some one else took of it cut open...
Attached Images

Chrisz5z is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chrisz5z For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (07-21-2022), Ogt (07-21-2022)
Old 07-21-2022, 06:21 PM   #133
MyHybridBurnsGasAndTires

Drives: what
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post

i'm not sure how strongly it's mandated but it could be part of the general effort to reduce emissions by minimizing any ways for the engine to 'leak' gasses/vapors/ect.

some brands did away with dipsticks in pursuit of this but im glad not all of them followed suit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post

the OP mentioned it but didnt link it...according to EE these filters are designed to collect emissions coming back out of the intake system (manifold, ect), basically when the car is turned off. seems like it would account for vanishingly small benefits but some engineer managed to convince an accountant that it's worth it.
MyHybridBurnsGasAndTires is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MyHybridBurnsGasAndTires For This Useful Post:
mycrors7 (07-21-2022), NoHaveMSG (07-21-2022)
Old 07-21-2022, 06:33 PM   #134
mycrors7

Drives: zd8 brz
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
its not mandated yet

they might be phasing them in. a lot of emissions components that are required now were slowly phased in and were on vehicles that never really required them.

a big portion of people who havent studied smog emissions properly or done enough research wouldnt know it's not required.

very similar things happen with an AOS and their legalities. on paper, an AOS, if full sealed(doesnt vent to atmosphere and recirculates back into the oiling system), does not require an EO and is legal to install on engines.
mycrors7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mycrors7 For This Useful Post:
Ogt (07-21-2022)
Old 07-21-2022, 06:36 PM   #135
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,304 Times in 7,368 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyHybridBurnsGasAndTires View Post
i'm not sure how strongly it's mandated but it could be part of the general effort to reduce emissions by minimizing any ways for the engine to 'leak' gasses/vapors/ect.

some brands did away with dipsticks in pursuit of this but im glad not all of them followed suit.

the OP mentioned it but didnt link it...according to EE these filters are designed to collect emissions coming back out of the intake system (manifold, ect), basically when the car is turned off. seems like it would account for vanishingly small benefits but some engineer managed to convince an accountant that it's worth it.

I get the idea behind it. It’s just being primarily DI and with the evap purge it seems overkill. If it doesn’t have an EO and isn’t in the emission warranty statement then I dunno. Strange to have it. I work in small non road equipment and file our EPA certification ever year. I’d imagine automotive side is several orders of magnitude more then what I have to deal with.
Liquidsnake (03-26-2023)
Old 07-21-2022, 07:42 PM   #136
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Haha... I was too lazy to go back after I started thinking about it. I bet there's a blanket VOC emission target. That makes sense. Oh well. One tank fill with an old-school pump valve versus a year of shutdowns without the intake sponge.
Old 07-21-2022, 08:14 PM   #137
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogt View Post

What I would really like to see is one that is pulled out after a couple of thousand miles in dusty conditions. If the main filter is still squeaky clean then the charcoal is indeed chocking it. If the main is dusty and plugged then the charcoal ain't doing squat.

The worst part I see for actual real world condition is that the main is made with pleats to allow for build up but still maintain a larger surface area but that thing is flat negating the benefits.

No way you get a 10HP increase from removing it but if it plugs up quickly while leaving the main trying to suck you can bet you could get a 10hp loss across the whole curve.
Old 07-22-2022, 12:31 PM   #138
ROFL it's Waffle
The guy w/o an FRS or BRZ

Drives: '23 GR86 Premium 6MT Halo White
Quote:

I swear I've seen this YT video somewhere.... oh, post 23 of this thread
ROFL it's Waffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 12:42 PM   #139
ROFL it's Waffle
The guy w/o an FRS or BRZ

Drives: '23 GR86 Premium 6MT Halo White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post

What I would really like to see is one that is pulled out after a couple of thousand miles in dusty conditions. If the main filter is still squeaky clean then the charcoal is indeed chocking it. If the main is dusty and plugged then the charcoal ain't doing squat.

The worst part I see for actual real world condition is that the main is made with pleats to allow for build up but still maintain a larger surface area but that thing is flat negating the benefits.

No way you get a 10HP increase from removing it but if it plugs up quickly while leaving the main trying to suck you can bet you could get a 10hp loss across the whole curve.
I realize my link is for charcoal filters for home HVAC, but I'm sure the same applies to cars. https://enviroklenzairpurifiers.com/...in-air-filter/

Kinda makes me wonder though. If the paper air filter is already considered a consumable, eventually the charcoal filter could also become clogged (and what criteria deems it at the end of its lifespan?)... unless they're thinking there are gases regurgitating out the intake manifold (wouldn't the butterfly valve stop this? I just don't picture air trying to rush out of the intake manifold.

What does the owners manual say about the charcoal filter? Is this considered a forever item, or "change regularly"?
ROFL it's Waffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 02:05 PM   #140
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROFL it's Waffle View Post
I realize my link is for charcoal filters for home HVAC, but I'm sure the same applies to cars. https://enviroklenzairpurifiers.com/...in-air-filter/

Kinda makes me wonder though. If the paper air filter is already considered a consumable, eventually the charcoal filter could also become clogged (and what criteria deems it at the end of its lifespan?)... unless they're thinking there are gases regurgitating out the intake manifold (wouldn't the butterfly valve stop this? I just don't picture air trying to rush out of the intake manifold.

What does the owners manual say about the charcoal filter? Is this considered a forever item, or "change regularly"?
I am glad you quoted because rereading my post from last night I realized it sounds like the charcoal filter is in front of the pleated one.
Very bad phrasing on my part.