follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 01:54 AM   #1
Yui-Chan

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Best CARB legal SC kit? Jackson? Oem reliable block rebuild? Cayman killer?

I have a couple questions about superchargers and also things sort of related to it:

1. Which is the best (I know this can be subjective) CARB legal SC kit out there?

Is Jackson and Innovate the only CARB legal SC (or even turbo) kits available currently? I see they are two different types - centrifugal turbine and twin screw. Jackson seems much more attractive, especially since I’ve seen them around since the 90s.

My goal: 300whp DD and monthly track toy. But I’ll settle for 280ish whp. And, whatever is on par with a stock Cayman S (320bhp) or base 996(300bhp) at the wheels …which I assume those Porsches will be well below 300 to the wheels, correct?

I’m NOT looking into making a 400-600whp super drift/drag magazine monster. I just want a decent amount of reliable sportscar power.

Has anyone tested and reviewed the JR kit? Any 3rd party dynos?

How much extra weight will this kit add? I hope not +100lbs.

What’s the difference between this snail and the one in the HKS or other similar SC kits?

2. Reliability and bottom end rebuild:

Will running this SC kit on the stock bottom end be a big concern? Sounds like it, especially with the super high CR.

Has there been a couple cases of people blowing their stock engines easily with a mildly boosted SC or Turbo kit? If yes, what is the ratio of blown:not-blown among FI kit users and owners?

Like already mentioned, my main goal is to make this reliable; as OEM reliable as possible. I’m not rich, so an engine rebuild will not come quickly after a big purchase like a $5k SC kit, so it would most likely come in the relatively distant future; but, I would like to get it done sooner or later.

Also, a budget rebuild is preferable and I don’t need to make it a 600whp capable monster - just 300whp is sufficient. So idk if I should have the entire thing rebuilt (valvetrain, cams, special sleeves and specialized crankshaft, etc.), or just the primary concerns dealt with and maybe only doing a few things to the lower end - lowering CR with pistons primarily, maybe diff rods, and that’s about it.

Will only replacing the pistons (lower CR pistons) and maybe upgraded rods be sufficient enough? …rebuilding just the bottom end and leaving the heads and valvetrain alone, for lower costs.

How much would a simple lower end block rebuild like that cost?

Any recommended shops in SoCal that can pluck the FA and rebuild it (or, send the block off for rebuilding)?

3. Cayman S / base 996 Killer?:

I think an 86 + a JR kit will be a very nice (and emissions legal) option, instead of and if you can’t afford a used Cayman S or old 911. What do you think?

…of course, I mean with upgraded coilovers, suspension bits and tuning, wheels/tires, brakes.

Has anyone driven or owned a Cayman or 911 and also a mildly FI’ed 86 on the track to compare the two?

I assume the 86 would have an advantage once SC’ed and bringing it to the same power levels as the Cayman, being it would be around 200lbs lighter. Obviously the Porsche has an advantage for its’ famous superior and refined handling…but the 86, being 200lbs lighter, might have a bigger advantage. Idk.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:07 AM   #2
DeliciousTuning
PhoneFlash by EcuTeK

Drives: Edelbrock Equipped - Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,682 Times in 581 Posts
Mentioned: 403 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yui-Chan View Post
I have a couple questions about superchargers and also things sort of related to it:

1. Which is the best (I know this can be subjective) CARB legal SC kit out there?

Is Jackson and Innovate the only CARB legal SC (or even turbo) kits available currently? I see they are two different types - centrifugal turbine and twin screw. Jackson seems much more attractive, especially since I’ve seen them around since the 90s.

My goal: 300whp DD and monthly track toy. But I’ll settle for 280ish whp. And, whatever is on par with a stock Cayman S (320bhp) or base 996(300bhp) at the wheels …which I assume those Porsches will be well below 300 to the wheels, correct?

I’m NOT looking into making a 400-600whp super drift/drag magazine monster. I just want a decent amount of reliable sportscar power.

Has anyone tested and reviewed the JR kit? Any 3rd party dynos?

How much extra weight will this kit add? I hope not +100lbs.

What’s the difference between this snail and the one in the HKS or other similar SC kits?

2. Reliability and bottom end rebuild:

Will running this SC kit on the stock bottom end be a big concern? Sounds like it, especially with the super high CR.

Has there been a couple cases of people blowing their stock engines easily with a mildly boosted SC or Turbo kit? If yes, what is the ratio of blown:not-blown among FI kit users and owners?

Like already mentioned, my main goal is to make this reliable; as OEM reliable as possible. I’m not rich, so an engine rebuild will not come quickly after a big purchase like a $5k SC kit, so it would most likely come in the relatively distant future; but, I would like to get it done sooner or later.

Also, a budget rebuild is preferable and I don’t need to make it a 600whp capable monster - just 300whp is sufficient. So idk if I should have the entire thing rebuilt (valvetrain, cams, special sleeves and specialized crankshaft, etc.), or just the primary concerns dealt with and maybe only doing a few things to the lower end - lowering CR with pistons primarily, maybe diff rods, and that’s about it.

Will only replacing the pistons (lower CR pistons) and maybe upgraded rods be sufficient enough? …rebuilding just the bottom end and leaving the heads and valvetrain alone, for lower costs.

How much would a simple lower end block rebuild like that cost?

Any recommended shops in SoCal that can pluck the FA and rebuild it (or, send the block off for rebuilding)?

3. Cayman S / base 996 Killer?:

I think an 86 + a JR kit will be a very nice (and emissions legal) option, instead of and if you can’t afford a used Cayman S or old 911. What do you think?

…of course, I mean with upgraded coilovers, suspension bits and tuning, wheels/tires, brakes.

Has anyone driven or owned a Cayman or 911 and also a mildly FI’ed 86 on the track to compare the two?

I assume the 86 would have an advantage once SC’ed and bringing it to the same power levels as the Cayman, being it would be around 200lbs lighter. Obviously the Porsche has an advantage for its’ famous superior and refined handling…but the 86, being 200lbs lighter, might have a bigger advantage. Idk.
What fuel are you planning on running because neither kit (Innovate or Jackson) will make 300whp on California 91 octane BUT on ethanol that is a whole different story.

Now on E85 this is a completely different story. A lot depends on the fuel being used and changing the compression is not needed on these kits. We are seeing about 350-400 whp as the limit for reliable power without wearing our the engine too fast. Much above that seems to takes its toll on the engine pretty quickly. So 300 whp is a very reasonable power level.

Now I personally run a Innovate Supercharger with 69mm pulley and intercooler running E85. This places you right at the 300whp mark and now I may not be able to run down a Mercedes C63, but it also wasn't going anywhere either. So power to weight ratio is on your side.

Cheers,
William Knose
Delicious Tuning
Old 08-29-2014, 02:18 AM   #3
Yui-Chan

Also, how good and comprehensive is the tuning maps from JR compared to other top tuners (like delicious, drift office, evasive, etc.)?

Would the JR tune be the best, since it's specifically made for their own kit and by JR?
Old 08-29-2014, 02:22 AM   #4
Yui-Chan

@delicious:

Ah yes..forgot to mention fuel. Only and just 91 pump, since it's a DD and for convenience. I do't want to use e85...too much of a hassle and too scarce to find.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:36 AM   #5
Turdinator
Señor Member

Drives: 86 GT/'74 TA22 Celica/Kangaroo
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Check out this thread. It will have a lot of info you are looking for.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60172

As for tunes the CARB tunes ar fairly conservative and have had less development time in general than some of the other tunes available.
The Following User Says Thank You to Turdinator For This Useful Post:
Yui-Chan (08-29-2014)
Old 08-29-2014, 03:25 AM   #6
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Did people forget about search functions?
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cdrazic93 For This Useful Post:
Captain Snooze (08-29-2014), sklimo (08-29-2014), wparsons (08-29-2014)
Old 08-29-2014, 03:34 AM   #7
jebuwh
Village Idiot

Drives: '13 FR-S Ultramarine Manual
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrazic93 View Post
Better question... Have you seen his other thread?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jebuwh For This Useful Post:
sklimo (08-29-2014), wparsons (08-29-2014), Yui-Chan (08-29-2014)
Old 08-29-2014, 03:50 AM   #8
cdrazic93
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebuwh View Post
That thread was his? That makes everything so clear

Asain CJ??
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdrazic93 For This Useful Post:
jebuwh (08-29-2014), sklimo (08-29-2014)
Old 08-29-2014, 04:23 AM   #9
Yui-Chan

Quote:
Lol
Old 08-29-2014, 04:24 AM   #10
Yui-Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebuwh View Post
Stalker .
Old 08-29-2014, 05:07 AM   #11
cdrazic93
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yui-Chan View Post
Stalker .
hate to state the obvious, but uh...your username shows up under every thread you make and you've made some...questionably intelligent threads.
The Following User Says Thank You to cdrazic93 For This Useful Post:
SportInjected (08-29-2014)
Old 08-29-2014, 02:01 PM   #12
liewyel

Drives: Raven FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turdinator View Post
Check out this thread. It will have a lot of info you are looking for.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60172

As for tunes the CARB tunes ar fairly conservative and have had less development time in general than some of the other tunes available.
I think you might have that backwards; most of the CARB tunes have had significant testing and development time behind them.
The Following User Says Thank You to liewyel For This Useful Post:
Yui-Chan (08-29-2014)
Old 08-29-2014, 02:23 PM   #13
Yui-Chan

Quote:
hate to state the obvious, but uh...your username shows up under every thread you make and you've made some...questionably intelligent threads.
Why are my posts "questionably intelligent?"

...because I don't want Teins, nor COs vendors are biased about and only push, or because people don't know how to read the OP and consider what's obviously been stated in it already to give a relevant answer? Lol.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:35 PM   #14
ModBargains.com

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
The Vortech system will be something to consider as well, as they are 50state Carb Legal as well (legal under CARB E.O. D-213-34.)

It's a relatively easy install as well, just takes time to get everything torn apart and then put back in, but taken care of by a professional installer takes around 6-8 hours on average.

You can find more info about it on my thread here if you like -http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72719
The Following User Says Thank You to ModBargains.com For This Useful Post:
Yui-Chan (08-29-2014)

Closed Thread