follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List
CSG David, CSG Mike, eric6, King Tut, KraftWerks, Lunatic, rice_classic, Wonderbar, Xero-Limit

Old 10-12-2014, 01:20 AM   #127
glamcem

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
This is my favourite 'sensible' build on this forum, much how I intend mine to turn out before it inevitably gets silly.
What do you use camera / data overlay wise?
I use GoPro Hero 3+ Black Edition
RaceChrono App for data

and merge the video and data overlay with "RaceRender 3"
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:11 PM   #128
normancw

Drives: 128i
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Great thread - thanks! What peak temps are you seeing with the OEM oil cooler at the track?
normancw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to normancw For This Useful Post:
ajc209 (10-19-2014), glamcem (10-25-2014)
Old 10-25-2014, 04:09 AM   #129
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by normancw View Post
Great thread - thanks! What peak temps are you seeing with the OEM oil cooler at the track?
Thanks, I typically see 260-270 after a hard session but one time it reached 280 F but it was an exception in an extremely hot that day, next season I will opt for an air-oil type of oil cooler so hopefully it will help maintaining the temps below 260
The Following User Says Thank You to glamcem For This Useful Post:
normancw (10-25-2014)
Old 10-28-2014, 01:40 PM   #130
post_break
Professional Smartass

Drives: White Out FRS
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamcem View Post
heat wrapped the intake piping and placed the .5" Boomba racing vacuum check valve (on PCV oil catch can)

Sorry if you answered this already, was there a big improvement in IAT's with the tape?
post_break is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 01:36 AM   #131
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by post_break View Post
Sorry if you answered this already, was there a big improvement in IAT's with the tape?
I didn't specifically tested the IATs in my logs (completely forgot that) to see the effect of the heat wrap but I can definitely tell I was able to touch the intake pipe between sessions, something I didn't wanna try before
post_break (10-29-2014)
Old 11-20-2014, 02:37 PM   #132
Scracho

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Awesome build! Sub'd
glamcem (11-23-2014)
Old 11-22-2014, 05:09 AM   #133
Ganthrithor

Drives: '13 BRZ, '06 997, Other Things(TM)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Thread owns: very informative. Really like your setup!
Ganthrithor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ganthrithor For This Useful Post:
glamcem (11-23-2014)
Old 11-23-2014, 05:06 AM   #134
glamcem

thanks
Old 03-03-2015, 11:08 AM   #135
wsites

Drives: 08 STI|15 BRZ|95 L Coupe
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Yes, there are so many factors also..I personally don't like to shift unless it's really necessary but the type of the supercharger I have kinda mandates that

When I had the Vette it was only couple shifts between 2nd-3rd-4th gear that's it
I know that you obviously prefer the Centrifugal Supercharger since you went with one but how do you think a positive displacement one (such as Sprintex or Cosworth) would perform? Would it be better for the corner exits due to its virtually flat torque curve? For the sake of argument let's say it has 255 wheel compared to your 273... Do you think that the difference in peak HP numbers would really affect your track times that much... Sorry for the noobie questions, I'm just stuck between the KW and a positive displacement system. I would really like to start tracking my car in a few years and need to start saving up for one so I have some time to decide I'm just curious on your opinion of the positives and negatives to each for track driving.
Kit provides moar pawar
Kit needs engine build to support moar pawar.
People call it fault
wsites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 11:18 AM   #136
wsites

Garage
Also on another note. What is your ground clearance for the Driveway Labs v1 rear diffuser? I am thinking of getting the V2 with the type 1 fins because I don't want my car to scream race car and I would like some rear down-force without having to mount a ridiculous rear wing... Also if this adds anything to the discussion I plan on grabbing some Bilstein B16 coil-overs and keeping the ride height as close to stock as possible which I believe is a 30mm drop with the B16's.
Kit provides moar pawar
People call it fault
Old 03-03-2015, 05:19 PM   #137
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsites View Post
I know that you obviously prefer the Centrifugal Supercharger since you went with one but how do you think a positive displacement one (such as Sprintex or Cosworth) would perform? Would it be better for the corner exits due to its virtually flat torque curve? For the sake of argument let's say it has 255 wheel compared to your 273... Do you think that the difference in peak HP numbers would really affect your track times that much... Sorry for the noobie questions, I'm just stuck between the KW and a positive displacement system. I would really like to start tracking my car in a few years and need to start saving up for one so I have some time to decide I'm just curious on your opinion of the positives and negatives to each for track driving.
For track, Centrifugal type is a no brainer IMHO, simply because it will generate a lot less heat and won't torture the bottom end with extra torque..

For street, positive displacement might be more fun, since it will be completely opposite of centrifugal .. my piece of advice, there are already zillions of things that might go wrong when we track our cars so why take extra risk to gain a bit more low end torque? , especially when our cars barely see 4500 or below rpm at the track if we're not in the power band that's probably due to wrong gear for that certain corner

Quote:
Also on another note. What is your ground clearance for the Driveway Labs v1 rear diffuser? I am thinking of getting the V2 with the type 1 fins because I don't want my car to scream race car and I would like some rear down-force without having to mount a ridiculous rear wing... Also if this adds anything to the discussion I plan on grabbing some Bilstein B16 coil-overs and keeping the ride height as close to stock as possible which I believe is a 30mm drop with the B16's.
I have about 1.3" drop all around and used to have about 1.75" drop, didn't have any clearance issues, I would be concerned with the Catback (if aftermarket) more than the diffuser itself, since it will stay lower
wsites (03-04-2015)
Old 03-04-2015, 09:34 AM   #138
wsites

Garage
Quote:
For track, Centrifugal type is a no brainer IMHO, simply because it will generate a lot less heat and won't torture the bottom end with extra torque..

For street, positive displacement might be more fun, since it will be completely opposite of centrifugal .. my piece of advice, there are already zillions of things that might go wrong when we track our cars so why take extra risk to gain a bit more low end torque? , especially when our cars barely see 4500 or below rpm at the track if we're not in the power band that's probably due to wrong gear for that certain corner

I have about 1.3" drop all around and used to have about 1.75" drop, didn't have any clearance issues, I would be concerned with the Catback (if aftermarket) more than the diffuser itself, since it will stay lower

Okay awesome! I really like the KW kit compared to the other centrifugals because, the Vortech just doesn't appeal to me (I start my car in below freezing temperatures, and voiding the warranty for doing so is just not okay with me.) The Jackson kit is nice because it is CARB legal but it is so unbelievably ugly... The thing that really sets the KW kit apart for me though is it using the secondary belt to power the compressor. I think this is an underrated feature, and I'm not sure why they don't put more emphasis on it. Also the dyno graphs, that I have looked at on other member's threads, just for some not so scientific comparison have shown me that the torque difference between the Innovate/Sprintex kit and the KW kit is not substantial above 3k and after around 4.5k the KW just takes off... Plus there is always the benefit of an air to air inter-cooler, which is much less maintenance than the Laminova style...

Thank you by the way, this is all great information that I really needed to know moving forward! I'm trying to keep my car from looking like it came out of a Fast and Furious movie, but at the same time having enough down-force to keep it from skidding off the track at high speeds as I enter a turn...
also...
Kit provides moar pawar
People call it fault
The Following User Says Thank You to wsites For This Useful Post:
glamcem (03-04-2015)
Old 03-04-2015, 01:05 PM   #139
glamcem

Quote:
Okay awesome! I really like the KW kit compared to the other centrifugals because, the Vortech just doesn't appeal to me (I start my car in below freezing temperatures, and voiding the warranty for doing so is just not okay with me.) The Jackson kit is nice because it is CARB legal but it is so unbelievably ugly... The thing that really sets the KW kit apart for me though is it using the secondary belt to power the compressor. I think this is an underrated feature, and I'm not sure why they don't put more emphasis on it. Also the dyno graphs, that I have looked at on other member's threads, just for some not so scientific comparison have shown me that the torque difference between the Innovate/Sprintex kit and the KW kit is not substantial above 3k and after around 4.5k the KW just takes off... Plus there is always the benefit of an air to air inter-cooler, which is much less maintenance than the Laminova style...

Thank you by the way, this is all great information that I really needed to know moving forward! I'm trying to keep my car from looking like it came out of a Fast and Furious movie, but at the same time having enough down-force to keep it from skidding off the track at high speeds as I enter a turn...
also...
Sure, no problem
You can also read this-if you haven't already, Drift Office and Bob are one of the most reputable tuner/performance shop so I would definitely hear his opinions

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1624913
Old 03-04-2015, 01:58 PM   #140
wsites

Garage
Quote:
Sure, no problem
You can also read this-if you haven't already, Drift Office and Bob are one of the most reputable tuner/performance shop so I would definitely hear his opinions

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1624913
Yeah, I have already read through that thread haha but thank you any way! One thing I have yet to find though is any information on if the KW kit is almost through CARB testing yet or not... You most likely don't know if they are or not, because I have yet to see any info on it anywhere but any insight you may have would be much appreciated!
Kit provides moar pawar
People call it fault