follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-06-2013, 05:29 PM   #1
KONVERTER

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Average Stock Dyno Numbers?

Sorry I have been searching... Trying to find what average stock dyno numbers are on various dyno's... I'm specifically looking for on Mustang dyno's... w/ or w/o corrections...

THANKS!
KONVERTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:41 PM   #2
FreshFRS
KCCO From Canada

Drives: Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
seems that the average on a mustang dyno is between 155-165, from the dyno's i've seen anyways, you might just have to search each one out.
FreshFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:53 PM   #3
KONVERTER

Mustang Dyno's seem to read a bit lower... That is what I am mostly after. DynoJet I am seeing 155-165 as well. Just cant find any Mustang's...
Old 10-06-2013, 05:58 PM   #4
G_Ride

Drives: Some kind of Subaru
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I remember seeing a stock FRS on the Mustang dyno at GST Motorsports. I believe the FRS made 156-158whp. Why exactly do you want to know? A Mustang dyno from place A can post significantly different numbers with the same car from place B, which is true for all dynos. I've also seen a stock FRS on a Maha dyno make 124whp.
G_Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 06:21 PM   #5
KONVERTER

Ok that is what I am trying to figure out...

Trying to see how far apart Mustangs can be... Just had my car on a mustang for a tune. The tune gave me a nice bump, but overall my numbers look low... I am pretty sure nothing is wrong with my car but I think it is just the dyno numbers...
Old 10-06-2013, 06:30 PM   #6
KONVERTER

None of my cars have ever been on a Mustang and haven't really looked at any of the numbers...
Old 10-06-2013, 07:14 PM   #7
G_Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by KONVERTER View Post
Ok that is what I am trying to figure out...

Trying to see how far apart Mustangs can be... Just had my car on a mustang for a tune. The tune gave me a nice bump, but overall my numbers look low... I am pretty sure nothing is wrong with my car but I think it is just the dyno numbers...
What's more important is the change in horsepower and torque from stock/previous modification. The software on dynos can be tweaked to give higher/lower readings.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:19 PM   #8
KONVERTER

I have no baseline... Just modded to modded with tune. Tune helped quite a bit but overall number seems low from what I was expecting based on other numbers.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
Old 10-06-2013, 07:29 PM   #9
SigmaHyperion

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
I have no baseline... Just modded to modded with tune. Tune helped quite a bit but overall number seems low from what I was expecting based on other numbers.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
Without a baseline you'll never be able to get anything like what you're looking for.

The margin of error on a dyno (Mustang or otherwise) is probably more than what your tune even did for you. Meaning any one else's random dyno could possibly even show stock numbers higher than what you're showing after your tune.

Doesn't mean your tune didn't do squat. Just that their dyno was different than yours.

I would expect a FRS/BRZ to Mustang dyno at about 145-155, but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if someone pulled as low as 135 or as high about 160. If, after a tune, you're in the 150s or 160s, and your butt dyno noticed a difference, then that just means that yours probably started out on the low end.
SigmaHyperion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:34 PM   #10
KONVERTER

I know my tune did a great job as I have a baseline before the tune.

It is just the overall..

Butt dyno feels this car is slow, but maybe I am just used to faster cars... I don't remember what the car felt like stock as it was only stock for a week... Wish I took a baseline...

With my tune I am at 168.X on a mustang... I was hoping for more with my current mods:

TRD Intake, PPE Long Tube Headers, Berk Front Pipe w/ High Flow, Blitz Nur-Spec Catback.

Kind of discouraging when I see DynoJet numbers in the 170's stock thats all...

Car is probably fine and pulling strong... A/F is perfect and all that, was just shocked at the low HP figure. Then again it is only a 200 crank HP car...
Old 10-06-2013, 07:36 PM   #11
G_Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigmaHyperion View Post
Without a baseline you'll never be able to get anything like what you're looking for.

The margin of error on a dyno (Mustang or otherwise) is probably more than what your tune even did for you. Meaning any one else's random dyno could possibly even show stock numbers higher than what you're showing after your tune.

Doesn't mean your tune didn't do squat. Just that their dyno was different than yours.

I would expect a FRS/BRZ to Mustang dyno at about 145-155, but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if someone pulled as low as 135 or as high about 160. If, after a tune, you're in the 150s or 160s, and your butt dyno noticed a difference, then that just means that yours probably started out on the low end.
Agreed
Old 10-06-2013, 07:41 PM   #12
G_Ride

Quote:
I know my tune did a great job as I have a baseline before the tune.

It is just the overall..

Butt dyno feels this car is slow, but maybe I am just used to faster cars... I don't remember what the car felt like stock as it was only stock for a week... Wish I took a baseline...

With my tune I am at 168.X on a mustang... I was hoping for more with my current mods:

TRD Intake, PPE Long Tube Headers, Berk Front Pipe w/ High Flow, Blitz Nur-Spec Catback.

Kind of discouraging when I see DynoJet numbers in the 170's stock thats all...

Car is probably fine and pulling strong... A/F is perfect and all that, was just shocked at the low HP figure. Then again it is only a 200 crank HP car...
You're comparing DynoJet readings to Mustang readings. Why not just find a shop that has a DynoJet to see what the car is putting down then? Again though, what your car reads on one dyno may not give similar readings on another dyno.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:56 PM   #13
KONVERTER

Right I get that, I just didn't realize what a big difference in numbers they produce.

Going to go on a DynoJet just to see what the difference is. Knowing that it does vary from car to car / dyno to dyno etc...

If they say Mustangs read 10-12% lower than DynoJet that would mean that 170 car would read at around 150 on a Mustang.... That is what makes me feel like a sad panda...
Old 10-06-2013, 08:12 PM   #14
SigmaHyperion

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
If they say Mustangs read 10-12% lower than DynoJet that would mean that 170 car would read at around 150 on a Mustang.... That is what makes me feel like a sad panda...
Yeah, but you have to also consider the variance that simply exists dyno-to-dyno too.

Dynos themselves exhibit a solid 10% variance. The guy pulling a 170 may have a cherry car, but most likely he's just got a cherry dyno. He could do a pull on another DynoJet and pull a 155. There's just a big variance dyno-to-dyno.

And that's on top of the basic physical differences that will cause a Mustang to yield 10-12% lower. You could literally, and easily, have a high-reading DynoJet that yields a 170, then drive across town and put your car on a particularly low-reading Mustang and only pull a 135. Likewise, you could put your 168hp Mustang-dyno car onto a DynoJet and get anywhere from 185hp to maybe even 200hp if it was one that liked to give generous numbers.

That's why you simply never, ever compare Dynos. You can compare your pulls to future pulls on the same dyno. But you simply cannot compare your car to someone else's car on some other dyno, least of all one that's a completely different form of measurement.
SigmaHyperion is offline   Reply With Quote