follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 08-06-2022, 01:52 PM   #11187
Qwimby1

Drives: 14 FRS Monogram, 05 Mazdasped Miata
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNDSRFR View Post
Since you have the ESC off the car, do you want to sell it?

When mine quit the other day, I automatically assumed it was the batteries. I replaced them and no difference. In fact after I removed the old batteries I checked and they were ok.
Still has the same symptoms: Step on the gas and it runs for half a second and shuts off. Voltage drops from 28.3 to 25 and back to 28.3. I checked all the usual suspects, all the connections and everything looks good. It's too hot to go any further today so in the morning I'll remove the blower and make sure it rotates freely. Next will be the controller. I hope it's not the magic box.
That's exactly what mine did with the brief voltage drop before I replaced the batteries. I'm really surprised that didn't fix your problem.

It might be worth checking that solenoid-hose clamp.
Qwimby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 09:32 AM   #11188
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Yeah
The batteries are ALMOST always the problem. But not this time dammit.
Took the blower off and it's blown. Looks like the bearing gave out finally after millions of cycles. I'm really surprised it lasted this long.
If anybody has a Phantom blower they want to get rid of, I want it. Otherwise I'll have to try to cluge something up. I think the blower is the output side of a booshiwheel modify turbo 49179-520 0. Chinese of course. $100 to $1000 on Alibaba.
If anyone has any great ideas on what to do please let me know. The cars got over 200,000 miles so it might be too old for a real supercharger.
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 09:49 AM   #11189
WNDSRFR

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...ht=open+source
Looks like I have some reading to do.
Old 08-07-2022, 02:02 PM   #11190
WNDSRFR

I need to put this contraption back on until/if I can fix the compressor. What a convoluted way of getting air from the filter to the throttle body. Looks like it was designed by an ex VW designer.
Does anyone know if this hole is supposed to be there? If so, why?
Attached Images

Old 08-08-2022, 11:28 AM   #11191
WNDSRFR

Took the compressor apart and the motor is hard seized. Can't turn it at all. I thought the worst thing that could happen would be the controller frying.
I was wrong. The worst thing would be the motor seizing. The controller might be fixable. The motor is not.
So, I need to buy a motor with compressor wheel or I need to sell an ESC kit minus the compressor.
In the mean time I need to learn patience. Patience to wait for a large enough gap in traffic to merge. As far as ever passing anyone again, forgetaboutit.
Attached Images

Old 08-08-2022, 06:22 PM   #11192
l0aded
Addicted

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Since you have the ESC off the car, do you want to sell it?

When mine quit the other day, I automatically assumed it was the batteries. I replaced them and no difference. In fact after I removed the old batteries I checked and they were ok.
Still has the same symptoms: Step on the gas and it runs for half a second and shuts off. Voltage drops from 28.3 to 25 and back to 28.3. I checked all the usual suspects, all the connections and everything looks good. It's too hot to go any further today so in the morning I'll remove the blower and make sure it rotates freely. Next will be the controller. I hope it's not the magic box.
Sorry to hear about your compressor .

At this moment I still plan to keep it but over time the idea of selling it does sound appealing. Not because it causes me problems but more about potentially selling the entire car. When that day comes I'll let you know!

I put everything back on and so far the issue has gone away. My two suspects are potentially an air leak in the blower from not tightening the clamps enough or the ECU reset fixed it.
Phantom Supercharger | Tsudo Cat-Back Exhaust | K&N Drop-in Filter | Winjet Headlights | Opti-coated | 35/20 Tint | Radar/Dashcam Hardwired | OFT tuned | OEM Audio+ Reference 400CF | Uber Sound Deadened | LED DRL strips | JPM Coachworks Kneepads
l0aded is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to l0aded For This Useful Post:
WNDSRFR (08-09-2022)
Old 08-09-2022, 11:21 AM   #11193
WNDSRFR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwimby1 View Post
Where does one find these? My internet search was inconclusive. Is there one that bolts right on to our systems?
I know where to get a Procede Controller if you're still interested. How much are you willing to pay?
Old 08-09-2022, 02:50 PM   #11194
Qwimby1

Quote:
I know where to get a Procede Controller if you're still interested. How much are you willing to pay?

I have no idea what one should go for. Are there any similar sales somewhere to compare prices? Does it fit right on or does it need modifying?

I would think a good machine shop could rebuild your compressor.
Old 08-10-2022, 07:32 AM   #11195
WNDSRFR

My compressor "shell" is OK. Whenever the motor failed the compressor wheel contacted the shell and scratched it up a bit but it can be polished out. The wheel needs to be replaced which is available. The motor however is completely seized. I've read through the open source build thread but it doesn't end well. Still trying to find a replacement motor but my hopes are starting to fade. It looks like the motor was custom made. I don't know how that was done on such a small production run. But that's how it looks.
Old 08-11-2022, 01:41 PM   #11196
WNDSRFR

OK
Autopsy is complete. Looks like what happened is the bearings failed. The motor has a (had a) bearing at the back of the shaft and one at the front. Looks like they used to have tiny ball bearings. I removed the rotor from the stator then replaced it and it is no longer seized. I could probably just replace the bearings and the motor would be fine. (If I could find the bearings). The compressor wheel was slightly damaged and needs to be replaced. I know it needs to be perfectly balanced. The compressor housing is scratched but can be reused.
Attached Images

Old 08-11-2022, 05:27 PM   #11197
Qwimby1

You can do it. I'm pulling for you! Some enterprising person should start making these things again. I think there would be a market for them. I wanted the mild boost to keep from hurting the engine. I only use mine occasionally, but with a Borla header, free-flow cat front pipe and E85, it's considerably quicker than stock anyway.

When I was in the Ferrari Club a long time ago, there was an engineer named Verell who had a company called Unobtanium.com. He would either rebuild or re-engineer hard-to-get or horrendously-expensive parts. Like $1500 for a turn-signal switch, if you could find one.
Old 08-20-2022, 10:31 AM   #11198
WNDSRFR

I got the motor to work. Yay. But the rear bearing isn't quite right and I'm having trouble finding the right one. Turns out the motor shaft is 8mm in the front and 6mm in the rear. I got a good 50,000 rpm bearing for the front but the rear I'm still looking. The highest speed I've found is 38,000 rpm. To test the motor I used a 8mm bearing riding on the remnants of the old bearing. Just for a proof of concept. I'm looking for a ball bearing with 6mm shaft and 19mm housing dia good for 50,000 rpm.
Once I get the motor fixed then I have to move on to the compressor wheel. In my research I discovered that apparently this is a very large turbo compressor. The wheel has a 98mm exductor and a 65mm inductor. Haven't found anything even close yet. If I can't replace the wheel, then maybe I can send it out to be rebalanced. Or maybe it doesn't need rebalancing. Some of the metal was "displaced" but not removed. We'll see. But at least now my hopes are up to get this thing running again. The car is scary slow without it.
The Following User Says Thank You to WNDSRFR For This Useful Post:
Target70 (08-20-2022)
Old 08-24-2022, 11:59 AM   #11199
WNDSRFR

I got the right bearings installed and the motor runs like new! I ran it with the wheel attached and it seems to run fine. Next step is reinstall it in the housing, attach it to the intake and see what boost I get. I'll do that next time I'm feeling lucky. Wish me luck.
For anyone who's bearings are worn out, these are what I used:
Front bearing: 57155K496, 8x14x3.5mm flanged with 15.6x0.8 flange good for 50,000 rpm from McMaster-Carr.
Rear bearing: SMR626C-YZZ NB2, 6x19x6 ceramic bearing good for 60,000 rpm from Boca Bearings.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WNDSRFR For This Useful Post:
mrjj (08-25-2022), NoHaveMSG (08-24-2022), Target70 (08-24-2022), Ultramaroon (08-24-2022)
Old 08-24-2022, 05:48 PM   #11200
Target70

Drives: 2013 Asphalt 6spd
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
I got the right bearings installed and the motor runs like new! I ran it with the wheel attached and it seems to run fine. Next step is reinstall it in the housing, attach it to the intake and see what boost I get. I'll do that next time I'm feeling lucky. Wish me luck.
For anyone who's bearings are worn out, these are what I used:
Front bearing: 57155K496, 8x14x3.5mm flanged with 15.6x0.8 flange good for 50,000 rpm from McMaster-Carr.
Rear bearing: SMR626C-YZZ NB2, 6x19x6 ceramic bearing good for 60,000 rpm from Boca Bearings.
That might be a good general maintenance practice after X number of years. Thanks for the info

Tags
26$ / wtq, affordable boost, better than turbo, brz electric supercharger, do want, dumbass freddy, electric shrimpage, electric supercharger, electronic supercharger, epic thread tag, fanboy circle jerk!, freddy keyboardwarrior, frs electric supercharger, get a real blower, haters gonna hate, hows the battery life?, lol, moar powa, nos with battery, one gear race champion, only pulls hard once, phantom charge, pm-robftss to order!, release date=not yet, release it already!, released!, rice, shut up and take our $$$, snake oil claims, street only, super pursuit mode, the price isn't known yet, tq300 plzkkthxbai, wooshy noise, yes turbo is better, yes turbo is expensive