follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 07-29-2022, 04:54 PM   #3039
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,240 Times in 8,609 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Spaulding View Post
Years ago my oldest had a buddy that was hot to join the Marines. My son went with him to the recruiting office when he took ASVAB or whatever variant was used then. The recruiter badgered my son so much that he took it to just to shut the guy up.

Apparently he scored quite well. The recruiter put a hard sell on him telling him how proud his parents would be if he signed up. He declined. The recruiter told him “son, you killed this test, don’t you know what that means?” Kid said, “I’m not completely sure, but I know what my father would say it means.” Recruiter: “what’s that?” Kid, “he’d say it means I’m smarter than to join the Marines.”
When I graduated college I had an air force recruiter nagging me. Sounded pretty good. He would say, "day 1 you put on a uniform you are an officer. We need accountants too, pick where you want to work.".

At the time, I was working for an agency where our director was an ex very high ranking army guy, and my supervisor was an ex marine that had one eye and a bad limp, and was awarded the congressional medal of honor by President Reagan. I asked them if it was a good idea, and they both said, "FUCK NO!". I listened.
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sapphireho For This Useful Post:
Spuds (07-29-2022), Ultramaroon (07-29-2022)
Old 07-29-2022, 04:57 PM   #3040
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,430 Times in 6,146 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Years ago my oldest had a buddy that was hot to join the Marines. My son went with him to the recruiting office when he took ASVAB or whatever variant was used then. The recruiter badgered my son so much that he took it to just to shut the guy up.

Apparently he scored quite well. The recruiter put a hard sell on him telling him how proud his parents would be if he signed up. He declined. The recruiter told him “son, you killed this test, don’t you know what that means?” Kid said, “I’m not completely sure, but I know what my father would say it means.” Recruiter: “what’s that?” Kid, “he’d say it means I’m smarter than to join the Marines.”
Lol.

Muscles Are Required, Intelligence Non-ESsential

Edit: To be fair, the current commandant is trying to change the Corps to be 'smarter' for lack of a better term. But it's kind of funny to hear about pushback to 'fighting smarter not harder'. Also, there are plenty of individual Marines that aren't dumb as bricks.

Last edited by Spuds; 07-29-2022 at 06:20 PM.
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 05:16 PM   #3041
dragoontwo

Drives: 22 BRZ limited
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Damn bot went full ham with the spam.
dragoontwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dragoontwo For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (07-29-2022)
Old 07-29-2022, 05:17 PM   #3042
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,304 Times in 7,368 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

My dad was a Marine for 13 years and adamant that my brother and I not join the service. We both still wanted to but my brother has asthma, and I strongly considered around when I was 20-21 after school wasn't working out to what I thought I wanted, but I ended up getting hurt and no longer was able to medically.
Old 07-29-2022, 05:25 PM   #3043
2020BRZtS

Drives: '20 BRZ tS (15/300) / '09 Scion tC
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoontwo View Post
It's trying to figure out how to thank its own posts.
Old 07-29-2022, 05:42 PM   #3044
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
[humblebrag]The whole time I was in, I avoided promotion to the best of my ability. Each time I took the test, it was under the threat of NJP for dereliction of duty. I never studied. Even took my E-5 exam with a massive hangover when I was in Subic Bay. Guys were busting their asses for YEARS trying to get promoted and they kept throwing it at me.[/humblebrag]
I got the picture -
Attached Images

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (07-29-2022)
Old 07-29-2022, 05:46 PM   #3045
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoontwo View Post
Still going. I reported 3 hours ago. Obviously since ichi is away this is now an unmoderated forum.

Let the anarchy begin!
NoHaveMSG (07-29-2022)
Old 07-29-2022, 05:51 PM   #3046
Spuds
The Dictater

Best way to tell a bot from a human, ask what car they drive. If they reply "man", it's 99% a bot.
Old 07-29-2022, 05:59 PM   #3047
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
Best way to tell a bot from a human, ask what car they drive. If they reply "man", it's 99% a bot.
The bigger risk are the human scammers that usually at least put a different make in there.
Besides bots don’t reply.

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150385

There were well over 150 probable bots, spammers or scammers that registered this week.
Spuds (07-29-2022)
Old 07-29-2022, 06:03 PM   #3048
Spuds
The Dictater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
The bigger risk are the human scammers that usually at least put a different make in there.
Besides bots don’t reply.

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150385

There were well over 150 probable bots, spammers or scammers that registered this week.
Yeah, but they could eliminate a significant percent of bots with some sign up logic.
The Following User Says Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (07-29-2022)
Old 07-29-2022, 06:07 PM   #3049
Tcoat

Quote:
Yeah, but they could eliminate a significant percent of bots with some sign up logic.
And ruin my morning coffee? I use it like some people do crosswords or sudoku.
Spuds (07-29-2022)
Old 07-29-2022, 07:36 PM   #3050
Kiske

Drives: RX-7 / BRZ
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,081 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Good luck to any going for the mega millions tonight!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kiske For This Useful Post:
spcmafia (07-29-2022), Ultramaroon (07-30-2022)
Old 07-29-2022, 07:38 PM   #3051
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

Drives: '15 BRZ (WRB)
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,200 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Lol.

Muscles Are Required, Intelligence Non-ESsential

Edit: To be fair, the current commandant is trying to change the Corps to be 'smarter' for lack of a better term. But it's kind of funny to hear about pushback to 'fighting smarter not harder'. Also, there are plenty of individual Marines that aren't dumb as bricks.
Both my boys had some degree of interest in the service. My position was “once you sign on, you no longer own your life. It becomes the property of the CIC and whomever they assign it to. It is a form of currency - they may choose to spend it wisely or they may spend it foolishly. In my experience there are probably more lives spent by .mil / the executive branch on stupid shit than on truly worthwhile causes. If you want to do something positive, there are loads of public service opportunities in the local community. Most are safe(ish) some not. But you’re unlikely to end your life on some fool’s errand in some some backwater place just across the street from the gates of Hell.”

The oldest took a less than safe course. He went into firefighting. He’s now a district captain in a nearby fire department, presently running their airport’s ARFF operation. The other got a CS degree and is now an engineer for a tech behemoth in Ultra’s and Humfrz’s part of the world.

To borrow a phrase from the ancient Crusader in Indiana Jones, I think they, “chose wisely.”
Dadhawk (07-30-2022), humfrz (07-30-2022), Spuds (07-29-2022), Ultramaroon (07-30-2022)
Old 07-29-2022, 08:12 PM   #3052
Spuds
The Dictater

Quote:
Both my boys had some degree of interest in the service. My position was “once you sign on, you no longer own your life. It becomes the property of the CIC and whomever they assign it to. It is a form of currency - they may choose to spend it wisely or they may spend it foolishly. In my experience there are probably more lives spent by .mil / the executive branch on stupid shit than on truly worthwhile causes. If you want to do something positive, there are loads of public service opportunities in the local community. Most are safe(ish) some not. But you’re unlikely to end your life on some fool’s errand in some some backwater place just across the street from the gates of Hell.”

The oldest took a less than safe course. He went into firefighting. He’s now a district captain in a nearby fire department, presently running their airport’s ARFF operation. The other got a CS degree and is now an engineer for a tech behemoth in Ultra’s and Humfrz’s part of the world.

To borrow a phrase from the ancient Crusader in Indiana Jones, I think they, “chose wisely.”
The freedom to take the safe route is great until someone comes to take it away. Also, military benefits are pretty good for those that don't have much.

Not that you're wrong though. Just pointing out it works for some people I guess.

I considered military service starting with ROTC or one of the academies. We did a West Point tour as a field trip in 2001 so that might have had something to do with it. Probably good I didn't cause I really hate following orders lol.

Both my grandfathers are air force veterans and they went in dirt poor. Like, my great grandmother couldn't afford to feed my grandfather so he was raised in a seminary kind of poor. That one was a radio tech in Korea, got an electrical engineering degree, and was very successful. Same story for the other one.

Last edited by Spuds; 07-29-2022 at 09:40 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
Capt Spaulding (07-30-2022), Dadhawk (07-30-2022), humfrz (07-30-2022)

Tags
have you turned it off/on, i heart my boxer, i still hate you all, kiss me, maple syrup, multipass, next one is a prequel, ow my balls, special_k abandoned you, the search for more money