follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 09-17-2021, 11:17 AM   #29
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,890 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
For me, for my usage, option 1, by far.

The tuner's 275F limit is appropriately conservative, presumably assuming 0w20 weight oil. Personally I haven't seen anything to suggest that 275F should be a problem running good synthetic 30-weight.

FWIW I never encountered any factory oil temp cutoff running the same oil temps. I've read that there may be one around 300F?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S2GT86 View Post
So in your situation, what do you think would be the better fix out of these two examples?

1) Increase the thermal safety limit so that the ECU can't limit the power output of the engine when the oil reaches the original temperature setpoint,

or

2) Install an oil cooler so that the oil temperature doesn't reach the original thermal limit in the first place.
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 11:55 AM   #30
Goingnowherefast

Drives: AP2 S2000, 91 Miata 1.8L Rotrex 5MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
Personally I haven't seen anything to suggest that 275F should be a problem running good synthetic 30-weight.
But again, it's not the oil breaking down that's the danger here. It's the worry that the viscosity of the oil drops low enough that it's unable to provide adequate lubrication to the bearings. I'd recommend sending your oil out to Blackstone for analysis if you plan on not running and oil cooler.
Old 09-17-2021, 12:23 PM   #31
FR-S2GT86
Master Collaborator

Drives: Was '15 FR-S, 6MT, Now '15 GT86
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
For me, for my usage, option 1, by far.

The tuner's 275F limit is appropriately conservative, presumably assuming 0w20 weight oil. Personally I haven't seen anything to suggest that 275F should be a problem running good synthetic 30-weight.

FWIW I never encountered any factory oil temp cutoff running the same oil temps. I've read that there may be one around 300F?

Just out of curiosity, did you verify with your tuner what the stock temperature limit is, whether it be 300 degrees like you've read somewhere, or some other value, and that he specifically lowered this limit in his tune?

If he indeed lowered the limit, then I agree with you that you should be fine in the short term. However, if you're regularly tracking your car, I agree with @Kelse92 in that for the overall life of your engine, you should still install an oil cooler. If I were in your shoes and in the same situation, I would.
Count to muffens and call again.
I’m 40. So....... say hi to your sisters or daughters.
FR-S2GT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 12:23 PM   #32
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Just curious if anyone has actually seen the oil temp based compensation tables in their tunes. In romraider Ive seen and played around with the coolant and IAT based timing compensation tables with some success but I’ve never found any tables that pull timing based on oil temps.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 12:24 PM   #33
ZDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goingnowherefast View Post
But again, it's not the oil breaking down that's the danger here. It's the worry that the viscosity of the oil drops low enough that it's unable to provide adequate lubrication to the bearings. I'd recommend sending your oil out to Blackstone for analysis if you plan on not running and oil cooler.
You pick oil viscosity based on operating temps. At 275F, I think 30-weight is fine, at least for limited track usage. If I was track-only, I might go 40-weight. Probably HTHS more relevant anyway, 5w30 Redline is 3.7 HTHS.

I haven't sent oil out for analysis because I've seen reports of others who have. After typical HPDE-type track usage, "high" oil temps, with no oil cooler, the reports I've seen show little to no degradation of the oil, and normal amounts of wear metals.
Old 09-17-2021, 12:55 PM   #34
ZDan

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, did you verify with your tuner what the stock temperature limit is, whether it be 300 degrees like you've read somewhere, or some other value, and that he specifically lowered this limit in his tune?
No, and frankly I don't see any need to bother him about it. I know that my custom tune specifically commanded reduced throttle once ~275F was reached above some rpm limit. I wanted that feature removed, he instead bumped it to 285F, which is fine as I know it never continues upward from ~270-275F anyway and yeah, if it *does* start to go higher in retrospect I'd like the cutoff about there.

Quote:
If he indeed lowered the limit, then I agree with you that you should be fine in the short term. However, if you're regularly tracking your car, I agree with @Kelse92 in that for the overall life of your engine, you should still install an oil cooler. If I were in your shoes and in the same situation, I would.
I think that the risks of running 3.7 HTHS 5w30 synthetic at 275F for 15-20 minute track sessions are minimal. The risks of having an aftermarket cooler are non-zero and in fact we have seen *plenty* of reports of leaks (oil dropped on track = bad, also fire hazard!) and even engine failures. My oil temp reliably goes up to just over 270F indicated and it *stays* there. Data logging confirms this. Spending time, $$$$, effort while introducing multiple new possible points of failure for me, for my usage, makes zero sense.
Old 09-17-2021, 01:29 PM   #35
FR-S2GT86
Master Collaborator

Drives: Was '15 FR-S, 6MT, Now '15 GT86
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
No, and frankly I don't see any need to bother him about it. I know that my custom tune specifically commanded reduced throttle once ~275F was reached above some rpm limit. I wanted that feature removed, he instead bumped it to 285F, which is fine as I know it never continues upward from ~270-275F anyway and yeah, if it *does* start to go higher in retrospect I'd like the cutoff about there.

I think that the risks of running 3.7 HTHS 5w30 synthetic at 275F for 15-20 minute track sessions are minimal. The risks of having an aftermarket cooler are non-zero and in fact we have seen *plenty* of reports of leaks (oil dropped on track = bad, also fire hazard!) and even engine failures. My oil temp reliably goes up to just over 270F indicated and it *stays* there. Data logging confirms this. Spending time, $$$$, effort while introducing multiple new possible points of failure for me, for my usage, makes zero sense.

Understood, good luck. And congratulations, I hope you keep kicking ass at the track.

If I were to start tracking my car after supercharging, I think I would try to introduce some additional cooling in the form of a distilled water mist directly into the intercooler/radiator/air conditioning condenser stack during mid to high RPMs. It wouldn't be too difficult to set up. I did notice that when I was installing my intercooler that the upper 1/3 of the radiator was very clean compared to the lower 2/3, as if air wasn't passing through it. Probably due to the design of the grille and the crash bar behind it. This might be a safer and inexpensive alternative that you could consider for those hot track days.
Count to muffens and call again.
I’m 40. So....... say hi to your sisters or daughters.
FR-S2GT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 02:05 PM   #36
Dzmitry

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Limited with PP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146810
Dzmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dzmitry For This Useful Post:
ZDan (09-17-2021)
Old 09-17-2021, 02:10 PM   #37
ZDan

Quote:
Understood, good luck. And congratulations, I hope you keep kicking ass at the track.
Thanks! 2 points up going into last event which is at more of a Miata track, New Hampshire Motor Speedway (South Oval config).

Quote:
If I were to start tracking my car after supercharging, I think I would try to introduce some additional cooling in the form of a distilled water mist directly into the intercooler/radiator/air conditioning condenser stack during mid to high RPMs. It wouldn't be too difficult to set up.
My approach would be to see how it goes with the stock cooling. If oil and coolant temps remain in check, I wouldn't bother...

Quote:
I did notice that when I was installing my intercooler that the upper 1/3 of the radiator was very clean compared to the lower 2/3, as if air wasn't passing through it. Probably due to the design of the grille and the crash bar behind it. This might be a safer and inexpensive alternative that you could consider for those hot track days.
As I think about it, my *first* mod would be to vent the hood, which should improve cooling while reducing front lift. Hell maybe I should do that anyway, it's a zero-point mod with my club!
Old 09-17-2021, 03:53 PM   #38
gcranston

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited DGM
Dan, I'm getting close to hood vents as well. Let's chat at NHMS.
gcranston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 04:23 PM   #39
Goingnowherefast

Drives: AP2 S2000, 91 Miata 1.8L Rotrex 5MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzmitry View Post
That's not his car though lol. Every engine is different and the use case and climate is vastly different. I'm just saying it's pretty cheap insurance - like an oil cooler.
Old 09-17-2021, 04:32 PM   #40
ZDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcranston View Post
Dan, I'm getting close to hood vents as well. Let's chat at NHMS.

Do you have a sawzall?
Old 09-17-2021, 09:15 PM   #41
Dzmitry

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Limited with PP
Garage
Quote:
That's not his car though lol. Every engine is different and the use case and climate is vastly different. I'm just saying it's pretty cheap insurance - like an oil cooler.
Oh yes agreed. I thought you were just looking for general UOA info from this platform under high temps.
Dzmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 07:47 AM   #42
ZDan

Quote:
Oil analysis would tell me what's going on in my engine, which would be good info. I might do it but honestly I'm not that worried.

Adding an oil cooler when it isn't necessary is not "cheap insurance". You're adding some risks, but you're not ensuring you won't have issues. Engines (particularly '13s) have had oiling-related failures while running an oil cooler. The oiling-related problems FA20 engines have had seem to me to be more related to oil delivery rather than oil temperature.