follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 02-15-2016, 08:38 AM   #421
Mim

Drives: MY11 Maxima 350st, MY15 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by semis View Post
Cheers for the complete info!
Did you find it still shift gear at the same rpm every gear as with stock FD, Or the ECU shifts based on speed (higher rpm)?
just want to make sure if there's a need for ECU adjustment after the installment
I have not touched the ECU in any way. For me this one important detail put my mind at ease and made me feel comfortable to do this while the car was still under warranty.

Think about this FD mod for a moment. Here is a mod that is relatively inexpensive, virtually impossible to detect, requires no adjustment to your ECU, not even to your speedometer. It doesn't mess with emissions tests as its not a tune or exhaust related mod ie you still have both cats.

Depending on the ratio you select you improve acceleration by .5 to a full second. It almost seems too good to be true right? I can understand people looking under every rock to find a catch.

The one and only catch (do your research) is I recall there being a need to also replace your LSD as it becomes no-longer compatible if you go much higher in ratio's than 4.5/4.6 or so. Some of the others who have, can chime in on this one. That said, with the 4.556 Cusco I went with, I had no such issues.

Must admit I'm enjoying the mild sleeper feel to the car now. Stock wheels / suspension probably helps that image along.

Talking to your other point. the ECU appears to still shift at the same points, but as each gear is faster it feels like it shifts earlier than prior. Hope that made sense.
MY15 CWP A/T BRZ | Leather heated seats | STI CAI filter, A/T leather shifter, strut brace, V-brace, draw stiffener, battery tie down, Radiator cap, Oil cap, push start button | TRD door stabilizer | YoSpeed STI console garnish | Pioneer AVIC-F70DAB + Rev-camera, TS-WX710A sub | JL speakers, Amp | TOMS' Clear Brake Lights | Cusco 4.556 FD | Driveshaft Shop aluminum shaft | Tein FlexZ, EDFC AP+GPS | Crawford BPB
Mim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mim For This Useful Post:
Bimble Bamble (04-11-2017), Mr.Impreza (02-15-2016)
Old 02-15-2016, 11:16 AM   #422
Mr.Impreza
Mr.Fujitsubo

Drives: 2018 STI
Thanked 1,552 Times in 784 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mim View Post
I have not touched the ECU in any way. For me this one important detail put my mind at ease and made me feel comfortable to do this while the car was still under warranty.

Think about this FD mod for a moment. Here is a mod that is relatively inexpensive, virtually impossible to detect, requires no adjustment to your ECU, not even to your speedometer. It doesn't mess with emissions tests as its not a tune or exhaust related mod ie you still have both cats.

Depending on the ratio you select you improve acceleration by .5 to a full second. It almost seems too good to be true right? I can understand people looking under every rock to find a catch.

The one and only catch (do your research) is I recall there being a need to also replace your LSD as it becomes no-longer compatible if you go much higher in ratio's than 4.5/4.6 or so. Some of the others who have, can chime in on this one. That said, with the 4.556 Cusco I went with, I had no such issues.

Must admit I'm enjoying the mild sleeper feel to the car now. Stock wheels / suspension probably helps that image along.

Talking to your other point. the ECU appears to still shift at the same points, but as each gear is faster it feels like it shifts earlier than prior. Hope that made sense.
Well, that was very informative! I plan to do this in the future when i get some other mods out of the way since I don't plan to do headers

Mr.Impreza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 01:31 AM   #423
semis

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Well that's good to hear!
I agree this mod is so attractive but have never done FD before so just want to minimise future surprises.
Im almost ready to order the 4.88 either Revolution JDM or Weir from US.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mim View Post

semis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 02:25 AM   #424
jcw99

Drives: swp mt '14 brz premium
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
pinion seal question on 4.30 rear

In post #65 of this thread back on Jan 30 of 2013, member 03Z33 has a great list of rears that includes a Toyota OEM 41201-29606 4.30 rear originally for a Supra. There is a comment saying the included pinion seal will not fit. What do I use for a seal? Will this r&p work with the Torsen diff in the twins? I was not able to get my computer to quote the mentioned post. Thanx!

Last edited by jcw99; 03-06-2016 at 02:32 AM. Reason: left a word out
jcw99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 10:18 AM   #425
bfrank1972

Drives: 2013 FR-S Argento
Thanked 1,039 Times in 616 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by swarb View Post
For manual transmission it would be probably slightly faster.
My guesstimate is .5-1 second faster. Some of the time gained is loss because you would need to shift to 3rd. BUT after 62mph the 4.10's would need to shift(lost time) to 3rd and the 4.56 would already be ahead and in 3rd pulling further away.

I forgot where I read it, but someone mentioned 4.88's in an auto, 30-90mph they gained something like 2 seconds.
Assuming both cars are in the power band, mathematically they cancel out. In other words, the extra distance gained by the lower PD car is lost completely during the time when it upshifts and the higher FD car stays in gear. In real world, you'll see advantages in the lower FD car as it:

1) spends less time in the sub-optimal power band when accelerating from a start
and
2) at any point in time will either be even or have a lead assuming all other factors are equal, even if at some points the higher FD car is gaining.

If you're seeing 2 second advantages, it's probably over a span optimized for the lower FD car, i.e. lower FD car is at or near redline right before it has to upshift.
bfrank1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 12:21 PM   #426
jcw99

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw99 View Post
In post #65 of this thread back on Jan 30 of 2013, member 03Z33 has a great list of rears that includes a Toyota OEM 41201-29606 4.30 rear originally for a Supra. There is a comment saying the included pinion seal will not fit. What do I use for a seal? Will this r&p work with the Torsen diff in the twins? I was not able to get my computer to quote the mentioned post. Thanx!
I think I just found the answer on another thread posting by 37 who in turn referenced Jeff Lange. part # 90311-38070
Old 06-01-2016, 09:21 PM   #427
snowdog

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Is it a bad idea (waste of money) to change FD (4.556 or 4.88) on an AT if I plan to go FI?
snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:35 PM   #428
drewbot
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Drives: '13 Whiteout FR-S A/T
Thanked 1,452 Times in 752 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
Is it a bad idea (waste of money) to change FD (4.556 or 4.88) on an AT if I plan to go FI?
@whataboutbob did it

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
drewbot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to drewbot For This Useful Post:
whataboutbob (06-02-2016)
Old 06-02-2016, 01:08 AM   #429
whataboutbob
AutoX-10/10ths every run

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S AT Firestorm
Thanked 1,831 Times in 996 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewbot View Post
@whataboutbob did it

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
It'll get you out of 1st gear sooner. It also gets you into a higher rpm at a lower speed, which can help boost. The downside is that it can throw off the speed/rpm/gear tables in the car, which can lead to a higher rpm on downshift.

[ Delicioustuning | Counterspacegarage | RS-R USA | Cusco USA | SPL Parts | ACE Header | Stark Performance | Infinite Motion | Ciro Racing | Build thread:Here ]
[ GR Corolla Core in White w/LSDs on wish list ]
whataboutbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 02:10 PM   #430
snowdog

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
what turbo (horsepower) do you have and what fd?
snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 04:56 PM   #431
BWilky

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ WRB
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
late sub'd

BWilky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 03:11 PM   #432
kodyo

Drives: Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
I probably wouldn't do it if you plan to go FI.
kodyo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kodyo For This Useful Post:
snowdog (06-04-2016)
Old 06-05-2016, 11:14 AM   #433
wootwoot

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
I have a Cusco 4.5 installed in a spare stock differential. I may be looking to sell it this summer. Does anyone have any idea what it's worth? I'd sell the entire thing as a unit.
wootwoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 03:17 PM   #434
jcw99

Quote:
Originally Posted by wootwoot View Post
I have a Cusco 4.5 installed in a spare stock differential. I may be looking to sell it this summer. Does anyone have any idea what it's worth? I'd sell the entire thing as a unit.
Look at the price that Spencer Fab. charges, then add in a core charge and work from there?

Tags
cusco final drive