follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 01-09-2015, 07:50 PM   #1
Decisis
Mechanically Unsavvy

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited SWP
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
CA Smog for Milltek Exhaust

Californians- Anyone on here have experience or is familiar with the Milltek sport exhaust system?

I've got the full system (resonated) and was wondering if I would pass a visual for California smog.

Aside from the cat delete on the front pipe, which I plan to eventually replace with a Berk catted front pipe (when the time comes), I don't know if I'd be slated to pass a visual. I'm currently not aware if there is a sticker or engraving anywhere on or near my exhaust tips.

Still have on the OEM header so primary cat is still in. I'm assuming when the time comes, I'd probably have to re-install stock front pipe and muffler, but was just wondering if it will pass visual. If it can, then I only have to replace front pipe and it'd be a much easier option. Not too hopeful that this will be the case though.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 01-09-2015, 07:52 PM   #2
2much
I wanna go fast

Drives: 2013 FR-S 6MT
Garage
I thought we didnt have to smog check for 6 years after the car's birthday... am I wrong? Are you just thinking about this way in advance?
2much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 07:54 PM   #3
tahdizzle
So elite I'm 1338

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,934 Times in 982 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decisis View Post
Californians- Anyone on here have experience or is familiar with the Milltek sport exhaust system?

I've got the full system (resonated) and was wondering if I would pass a visual for California smog.

Aside from the cat delete on the front pipe, which I plan to eventually replace with a Berk catted front pipe (when the time comes), I don't know if I'd be slated to pass a visual. I'm currently not aware if there is a sticker or engraving anywhere on or near my exhaust tips.

Still have on the OEM header so primary cat is still in. I'm assuming when the time comes, I'd probably have to re-install stock front pipe and muffler, but was just wondering if it will pass visual. If it can, then I only have to replace front pipe and it'd be a much easier option. Not too hopeful that this will be the case though.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

if it removes any cat, it will not pass visual.
replacing an OEM cat with a Non OEM cat will not pass visual.

In a nut-shell, No.
The Following User Says Thank You to tahdizzle For This Useful Post:
Decisis (01-09-2015)
Old 01-09-2015, 07:55 PM   #4
Decisis
Mechanically Unsavvy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2much View Post
I thought we didnt have to smog check for 6 years after the car's birthday... am I wrong? Are you just thinking about this way in advance?
Thinking in advance because I'm just paranoid like that and like to prepare :P It's just something that's been on my mind a lot as of late. But yes, I wouldn't have to worry about this for another 5 years.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:57 PM   #5
Decisis
Mechanically Unsavvy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahdizzle View Post
if it removes any cat, it will not pass visual.
replacing an OEM cat with a Non OEM cat will not pass visual.

In a nut-shell, No.
Thanks for the feedback! That was actually pretty valuable info. So if I simply re-install OEM front pipe then I'm assuming it will pass because the catback version of my exhaust is in fact legal...supposedly.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:57 PM   #6
2much
I wanna go fast

Drives: 2013 FR-S 6MT
Garage
Quote:
Thinking in advance because I'm just paranoid like that and like to prepare :P It's just something that's been on my mind a lot as of late. But yes, I wouldn't have to worry about this for another 5 years.
phew! I didn't want to think about it at all ;]
2much is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 2much For This Useful Post:
Decisis (01-09-2015)
Old 01-09-2015, 07:58 PM   #7
tahdizzle
So elite I'm 1338

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,934 Times in 982 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback! That was actually pretty valuable info. So if I simply re-install OEM front pipe then I'm assuming it will pass because the catback version of my exhaust is in fact legal...supposedly.

correct. keep all your stock parts.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tahdizzle For This Useful Post:
Decisis (01-09-2015), Steege (01-11-2015)