follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 04-13-2011, 07:38 PM   #1
jyoo

Drives: 350z
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Petition?

Can we petition this thing?! We need to show Toyota that they will lose sales if they are selling it as a Scion. I don't understand. If they're selling it through Scion because Scion has a set price kind of deal, why does that matter? If the price goes up as a Toyota, people won't buy it, demand goes down, price goes down. Honestly, doesn't matter about price for me and I'm sure it doesnt matter to some others out there. What matters more is the name it comes out as.

Can we petition?
jyoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:46 PM   #2
Macavely

Drives: 06 Scion tC
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoo View Post
Can we petition this thing?! We need to show Toyota that they will lose sales if they are selling it as a Scion. I don't understand. If they're selling it through Scion because Scion has a set price kind of deal, why does that matter? If the price goes up as a Toyota, people won't buy it, demand goes down, price goes down. Honestly, doesn't matter about price for me and I'm sure it doesnt matter to some others out there. What matters more is the name it comes out as.

Can we petition?
I don't think it coming out as a Scion is going to hurt its sales... Scions was never about selling huge numbers. (This was told to me by a rep at a scion event) .. The only sports cars in Toyotas' line up are under the Lexus Emblem (in the US) ...

Toyota is a sells to well with its line up to throw in a car that might make its sells figure suffer.. The more I think about it.. the better for Toyota this is if it comes out under the Scion emblem .
Old 04-13-2011, 07:57 PM   #3
Matador
hashiryu

Drives: Mk4 Supra
^ Dude... that's half the point. If this car doesn't sell do you think Toyota will even blink to cut it from the lineup and not build anymore proper sports coupes?
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:11 PM   #4
Macavely

Drives: 06 Scion tC
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSpool View Post
Ya, that's never happened.....

Supra
Celica

Don't for get the MR-2 (twice)
Old 04-13-2011, 09:13 PM   #5
Dark
Elite Padawan

Drives: '15 WRX, 15 GLA250, and 2 feet
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
We don't need to do that, just get Subaru and let them learn the hard way.
Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:16 PM   #6
OldSkoolToys
Is a Monster

Drives: AE86, MA70
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Petition likely won't do jack squat. You have to factor in:
A) we're a minority in the grand market
B) We're just enthusiasts....we don't know what the marketers know (lewwlllzzz, pshaw)
C) Toyota/Scion has already invested probably a grand sum of money into the overall marketing plan and strategy for this car, being a -SCION-, not a Toyota (So far we've probably only seen 1/50th of whats already being made/is made waiting to be released in terms of marketing material). If they were to seriously consider badging it a Toyota, they would have to take the loss of that money into effect.
D) Toyota USA sucks.
OldSkoolToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:17 PM   #7
Toyota4Life

Drives: 1994 Toyota Pickup
I'll sign any petiton. Also, start writing letters to Toyota USA. Write on their FB, BOMBARD them with messages. Let them know how angry you are. Be constructive, but FIRM.
Toyota4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:41 PM   #8
C-Bone

Drives: '03 Tiburon
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolToys View Post
Petition likely won't do jack squat. You have to factor in:
A) we're a minority in the grand market
B) We're just enthusiasts....we don't know what the marketers know (lewwlllzzz, pshaw)
C) Toyota/Scion has already invested probably a grand sum of money into the overall marketing plan and strategy for this car, being a -SCION-, not a Toyota (So far we've probably only seen 1/50th of whats already being made/is made waiting to be released in terms of marketing material). If they were to seriously consider badging it a Toyota, they would have to take the loss of that money into effect.
D) Toyota USA sucks.

Exactly. How many active members do we have? Maybe a couple hundred, Maybe... How many people are really following this car the way we are? Out of the hundreds of million of people in the United States a few hundred people (if everyone here signed a petition) it wouldn't really make a difference, the average Joe is going to see this car in a commercial or on a dealership lot and say "hey thats a cool car, lets go check it out" not "eww thats a scion and not a toyota? I'm not buying"
Old 04-13-2011, 09:48 PM   #9
Matador
hashiryu

Drives: Mk4 Supra
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Bone View Post
Exactly. How many active members do we have? Maybe a couple hundred, Maybe... How many people are really following this car the way we are? Out of the hundreds of million of people in the United States a few hundred people (if everyone here signed a petition) it wouldn't really make a difference, the average Joe is going to see this car in a commercial or on a dealership lot and say "hey thats a cool car, lets go check it out" not "eww thats a scion and not a toyota? I'm not buying"

lol. I wish you'd take a tour of the various scion forums out there and see what <75% of their users perspective is on rwd cars.
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:49 PM   #10
Giccin
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Drives: Yaris HBK, Audi 09' TTS<Had>
Thanked 1,899 Times in 966 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macavely View Post
I don't think it coming out as a Scion is going to hurt its sales... Scions was never about selling huge numbers. (This was told to me by a rep at a scion event) .. The only sports cars in Toyotas' line up are under the Lexus Emblem (in the US) ...

Toyota is a sells to well with its line up to throw in a car that might make its sells figure suffer.. The more I think about it.. the better for Toyota this is if it comes out under the Scion emblem .

Go watch the Geneva Interview. http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...20&postcount=1

He clearly states that "We want to grow 10% in 2011" as a Toyota. So in simpler terms. Everyone who anticipated this car to be a Toyota got trolled.

What I'm thinking is--they're making (not set in stone yet) the FT-86 into a scion to try and SAVE the brand. Scion sales have dropped and from what I'm speculating; they're trying to save their failed brand and minimize the loss of their buyer base by introducing the ft-86.

As from what I can see--the brand "Scion" was meant to target young adults exiting high school entering college or those who want a cheap "performance" car with decent looks. This brand has no "passion" behind their vehicles.

The FT-86 was meant to be the predecessor of the AE86-is it not?

So the question now is... how will Toyota keep the "TRD" name if they can't even badge a car that was meant to revive the love for motorsport; moreover, if they give up the remake of the legendary AE86 to the Scion brand which is meant to be cheap performance towards teenagers under 20k?

If Toyota wanted to get back into the sports car competition they should've introduced the FT-86 as a Toyota to put themselves back into the game.

Logic > Emotion
┬──┬◡ノ(° -°ノ)
Yashio Factory Pink adds +10HP to anything.
TOYOTA FT-86
Giccin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:53 PM   #11
tranzformer
Delights in pure handling

Drives: Zoom Zoom
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giccin View Post
If Toyota wanted to get back into the sports car competition they should've introduced the FT-86 as a Toyota to put themselves back into the game.
If only logic was so simple and if only everyone used it. Unfortunately I don't think Toyota will think this way.
tranzformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:08 PM   #12
Giccin
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Drives: Yaris HBK, Audi 09' TTS<Had>
Thanked 1,899 Times in 966 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranzformer View Post
If only logic was so simple and if only everyone used it. Unfortunately I don't think Toyota will think this way.

Yea. :/ Its such a drag. Lol. Forum uproar! woop! lol

Logic > Emotion
┬──┬◡ノ(° -°ノ)
Yashio Factory Pink adds +10HP to anything.
TOYOTA FT-86
Giccin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:16 PM   #13
OldSkoolToys
Is a Monster

Drives: AE86, MA70
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giccin View Post
Go watch the Geneva Interview. http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...20&postcount=1

He clearly states that "We want to grow 10% in 2011" as a Toyota. So in simpler terms. Everyone who anticipated this car to be a Toyota got trolled.

What I'm thinking is--they're making (not set in stone yet) the FT-86 into a scion to try and SAVE the brand. Scion sales have dropped and from what I'm speculating; they're trying to save their failed brand and minimize the loss of their buyer base by introducing the ft-86.

As from what I can see--the brand "Scion" was meant to target young adults exiting high school entering college or those who want a cheap "performance" car with decent looks. This brand has no "passion" behind their vehicles.

The FT-86 was meant to be the predecessor of the AE86-is it not?

So the question now is... how will Toyota keep the "TRD" name if they can't even badge a car that was meant to revive the love for motorsport; moreover, if they give up the remake of the legendary AE86 to the Scion brand which is meant to be cheap performance towards teenagers under 20k?

In the end its just a badge, but I 100% agree with you.

Honestly though, its not a true 'toyota' because of the powerplant. I'm becoming more interested in this rumored "mini" FT-86...
OldSkoolToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:25 PM   #14
Allch Chcar

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolToys View Post
In the end its just a badge, but I 100% agree with you.

Honestly though, its not a true 'toyota' because of the powerplant. I'm becoming more interested in this rumored "mini" FT-86...
I quoted just as you edited, dang.

And the baby-86 is far more interesting .
Allch Chcar is offline   Reply With Quote