follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 11-19-2020, 09:17 AM   #1
Atropine

Drives: 2021 Toyota Supra 2020 4Runner
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
We have options!

I will be in the market next year for another sports car.

I will pay off my 2020 4Runner in April and then will be in the market for a new sports car...

I am so happy that I (we) have options now!

The new BRZ and I imagine new 86 too, the new 400Z and the Miata RF.

I test drove the Miata RF last year, but the dealership didn't have the color I wanted and wanted to charge my like 2k to "get the one I want"; so I passed. BUT the little car left an impression on me.

My wife and I then sold our house and bought a new house with a HUGE shop that has a lift etc...so I now have a great garage for a new toy.

Anyway seeing the new BRZ...I really like the trunk and the overall look. It kept the classic lines that I liked about my old BRZ...and added some nice new thigns without being over-styled (like Type R Civic...no offense if someone has one).

I prefer the styling of the BRZ and Miata to the 400Z...hoping that maybe in a color that isn't yellow I will like it more?

Anyway, its a great time to be an enthusiast!
Atropine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Atropine For This Useful Post:
bcj (11-19-2020)
Old 11-19-2020, 10:13 AM   #2
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,205 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Its nice to have options.

But I'm set on an 86, mainly cuz i need those 2 extra seats in the back which the other cars just don't have. Supra, Miata, 400Z are all 2 seaters and i dont want a pony car.

The only other options i have are econoboxes (I'm ready to move on from econoboxes, and i dont really care about the go-fast econoboxes since its still an econobox) and luxury coupes (not ready to give up the stick shift yet, but luxury make will be the next step when i do give up the stick)
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sasquachulator For This Useful Post:
Atropine (11-22-2020)
Old 11-19-2020, 10:37 AM   #3
Stonehorsw

Drives: 18 Brz (Sold) / 22 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post
Its nice to have options.

But I'm set on an 86, mainly cuz i need those 2 extra seats in the back which the other cars just don't have. Supra, Miata, 400Z are all 2 seaters and i dont want a pony car.

The only other options i have are econoboxes (I'm ready to move on from econoboxes, and i dont really care about the go-fast econoboxes since its still an econobox) and luxury coupes (not ready to give up the stick shift yet, but luxury make will be the next step when i do give up the stick)
GEN6 Camaro is a good option and Mustang S650 will be also if backseats are needed.
I am also set for tge 86, mainky because the lower cost of consumables and lightweight even thought I have no curvy roads nearby.
Stonehorsw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stonehorsw For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (11-23-2020)
Old 11-19-2020, 12:14 PM   #4
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,244 Times in 8,612 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atropine View Post
I will be in the market next year for another sports car.

I will pay off my 2020 4Runner in April and then will be in the market for a new sports car...

I am so happy that I (we) have options now!

The new BRZ and I imagine new 86 too, the new 400Z and the Miata RF.

I test drove the Miata RF last year, but the dealership didn't have the color I wanted and wanted to charge my like 2k to "get the one I want"; so I passed. BUT the little car left an impression on me.

My wife and I then sold our house and bought a new house with a HUGE shop that has a lift etc...so I now have a great garage for a new toy.

Anyway seeing the new BRZ...I really like the trunk and the overall look. It kept the classic lines that I liked about my old BRZ...and added some nice new thigns without being over-styled (like Type R Civic...no offense if someone has one).

I prefer the styling of the BRZ and Miata to the 400Z...hoping that maybe in a color that isn't yellow I will like it more?

Anyway, its a great time to be an enthusiast!
Hello from Caldwell. Have they started building the raceway at the old Boise Cascade mill site yet? I haven't been up to Emmett in a while.
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sapphireho For This Useful Post:
Atropine (11-22-2020)
Old 11-19-2020, 01:53 PM   #5
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
If my BRZ got totaled tomorrow then there would be the new Z, the new 86, another first gen 86, the RF Miata, a used Cayman, a used Lotus and an older 911.

The Miata would be my first choice if the exact body style of the RF existed as a permanent, fixed roof, but alas, it doesn't. The extra weight means I would rather just get the 86. The new 86 would be my first choice for more power potential with FI, but I would need to drive the new Z. If the Z felt small like the 86, and if the car looks as good in person as it does in photos, and if the power and drive is good, then I could see myself getting one of those over the new 86. A used 718 S would also be very tempting, but I would have to drive it to know. I always wanted a 911, but I can't imagine getting into something that is possibly greater than 10 years old. I sat in my BRZ and then drove it and at every moment my body was like, "yes, this is right" like an old pair of shoes or meeting my wife/a soul mate. I would need to have that with the other options. The Elise is probably impossible to find. I wish we had the Exige in the states because a used Exige would also be on the short list.
Atropine (11-22-2020)
Old 11-22-2020, 11:54 PM   #6
Atropine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post
Hello from Caldwell. Have they started building the raceway at the old Boise Cascade mill site yet? I haven't been up to Emmett in a while.
I think COVID postponed a lot of that stuff. I recently moved to New Plymouth (like 20 minutes away from Emmett).

But yeah, I hope they get that road course up and running.
Old 11-22-2020, 11:57 PM   #7
Atropine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
If my BRZ got totaled tomorrow then there would be the new Z, the new 86, another first gen 86, the RF Miata, a used Cayman, a used Lotus and an older 911.

The Miata would be my first choice if the exact body style of the RF existed as a permanent, fixed roof, but alas, it doesn't. The extra weight means I would rather just get the 86. The new 86 would be my first choice for more power potential with FI, but I would need to drive the new Z. If the Z felt small like the 86, and if the car looks as good in person as it does in photos, and if the power and drive is good, then I could see myself getting one of those over the new 86. A used 718 S would also be very tempting, but I would have to drive it to know. I always wanted a 911, but I can't imagine getting into something that is possibly greater than 10 years old. I sat in my BRZ and then drove it and at every moment my body was like, "yes, this is right" like an old pair of shoes or meeting my wife/a soul mate. I would need to have that with the other options. The Elise is probably impossible to find. I wish we had the Exige in the states because a used Exige would also be on the short list.
I use to see Exiges for sale at Park Place in Bellevue, WA when I use to live in WA. I think they are in the US, just excedingly rare.
NWFRS (02-02-2021)
Old 11-23-2020, 12:03 AM   #8
Kiske

Drives: RX-7 / BRZ
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,081 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
I use to see Exiges for sale at Park Place in Bellevue, WA when I use to live in WA. I think they are in the US, just excedingly rare.

They are indeed in the states just the resell is insanely high and price themselves out and into new-car territory for anyone cross shopping.
Old 11-23-2020, 12:32 AM   #9
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiske View Post
They are indeed in the states just the resell is insanely high and price themselves out and into new-car territory for anyone cross shopping.
As far as I know, we never got the series 3 with the supercharged V6. We only got it as a track day only car, and we got the older Exiges, which either were supercharged Elises or just Elises with a body kit. I should have clarified.
Atropine (11-23-2020)
Old 11-23-2020, 12:46 AM   #10
Kiske

Drives: RX-7 / BRZ
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,081 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
The Elise and Exige hasn't been sold in the USA since the 2012's new crash testing barred it from the streets. A handful of special Series 3 Exige CUP cars were sold in the USA market later as a track only car (without a title) a while back.
Old 11-23-2020, 01:02 AM   #11
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I've seen an S3 V6 Exige on the street in Berkeley, CA, with plates. I have no idea how they got the plates... I'm guessing it was an Elise chassis with all the Exige parts swapped over (it's just an Elise from the cabin forward), that's the only way you can register them. Doing that with a base Evora donor and building the 2GR-FE for high revs is my dream car; 2300lbs, 8000rpm V6, manual transmission

If you have other cars, I feel like an Elise is the right toy to get. If you want a more well-rounded 2 seater, the ND2 is really nice (I don't really dig the RF as it makes the car slower). It's not a fast car and the suspension isn't great from the factory, but the steering, pedals, and shifter feel so damn good. I'm too tall for that car though
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 03:13 AM   #12
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
It's been 7 years since you joined the forum and those cars predecessors have been available for the entire time (ND for almost five years now) and you still bought none of them.

strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (11-23-2020)
Old 11-23-2020, 07:00 AM   #13
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
If going into the expected Z price range then why is the Supra and some BMWs not on the list?
As pointed out by Stone there are a few trim levels of the Mustang and Camaro that would qualify.
There is also the Veloster and the field opens up even more if you go to hot hatches.
If we are throwing used into the mix then there is a huge selection.

These are all viable options as well.
Stonehorsw (11-23-2020)
Old 11-23-2020, 07:17 AM   #14
Atropine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
As far as I know, we never got the series 3 with the supercharged V6. We only got it as a track day only car, and we got the older Exiges, which either were supercharged Elises or just Elises with a body kit. I should have clarified.
Oh yeah I was referring to the Supercharged Elises
Irace86.2.0 (11-23-2020)