follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 12-12-2012, 12:48 PM   #561
2point0

Drives: '13 BRZ Ltd WRB
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_4got View Post
I tried researching the forums and learning, but all these numbers are making my head hurt and I'm not entirely sure which numbers to match to ensure fitment.

Can anyone confirm if these will fit the stock tires?
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/17X9-ROTA-GRI...03d839&vxp=mtr

Wheel size: 17x9
Bolt pattern: 5x100
Offset: +30

If they fit the stock tires, does that mean the stock lug nuts will fit too? If not, how do I find out which aftermarket lug nuts to buy?
First off, nice choice! I love the look of white Grids.

Tires have nothing to do with the lugs. The wheels determine what style of lug nuts will fit, and the car's studs determine what size/pitch the lug nuts should be. Lug nuts are usually tapered, some are rounded, so they have to match the holes on the wheel. Subaru (and the FR-S) use 12x1.25 studs/lugs. So they'll need to be that same spec. I don't know what type of holes Rotas have, but my guess would be tapered since that's very common. Maybe someone else can chime in who knows for sure. Stock are tapered.

That wheel size will fit just fine with no rubbing (depending on tire width). The stock tires are 215 width and are much too skinny for a 9" wide wheel. The stock wheels are 7" wide, so imagine that the sides of the tires will have to stretch out an extra inch on either side to fit that wheel. Some like the look, that's up to you.

With the +30 offset, keep in mind that the outer lip of the wheel will stick out past the edge of the fenders. Again, this is up to you as to what you like, but unless you have really wide tires it shouldn't rub. My wheels stick out 2mm more than these and my tires are 235 width (and this brand runs wider than most). Nothing rubs anywhere on my car, and I've heard of others with 255s on this wheel spec or wider.
2point0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:54 PM   #562
i_4got

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2point0 View Post
That wheel size will fit just fine with no rubbing (depending on tire width). The stock tires are 215 width and are much too skinny for a 9" wide wheel. The stock wheels are 7" wide, so imagine that the sides of the tires will have to stretch out an extra inch on either side to fit that wheel. Some like the look, that's up to you.
Does stretching to accomodate the 9" width affect anything on the tires? Will they wear out faster or something?

I don't mind the lip stretching past the fenders. Looks kinda cool.

Thanks for all the info, guys!

Edit: Also, I assume the stock lug nuts are tapered? I'll try asking the seller to see if the holes on the wheel will match that style.

Edit 2: The seller just told me that valve stems aren't included. Can I just move the TPMS valve stems from the stock wheels over to these ones? Do new rims typically come with no valve stems?

Last edited by i_4got; 12-12-2012 at 01:37 PM.
i_4got is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:19 PM   #563
Agnostik

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Stock michellins on 17x8 Enkei RPF01

Just curious if anyone has mounted the stock Michellin Primacy tires on 17x8 Enkei RPF01 rims.

If so, how bad is the stretch, and how is the mounting? Does it work?
Agnostik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:45 PM   #564
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
8" is within the recommended spec for the stock tires, so you'll be fine. They'll look more stretched than most 215's would because they're already narrower than most 215's. My winter tires (205/50/17) look much less stretched than the stock tires did.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:49 PM   #565
Hanakuso

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
It's not that bad but it's definitely stretched. Not hellaflush stretched but it's the lowest recommended size for the OEM tires. Would look a lot better with a drop. I'll be going 225 once these are done. I can take a side profile picture if you want.

Hanakuso is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hanakuso For This Useful Post:
Agnostik (12-12-2012), Bimble Bamble (03-01-2015)
Old 12-12-2012, 01:59 PM   #566
2point0

Drives: '13 BRZ Ltd WRB
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_4got View Post
Does stretching to accomodate the 9" width affect anything on the tires? Will they wear out faster or something?

I don't mind the lip stretching past the fenders. Looks kinda cool.

Thanks for all the info, guys!

Edit: Also, I assume the stock lug nuts are tapered? I'll try asking the seller to see if the holes on the wheel will match that style.

Edit 2: The seller just told me that valve stems aren't included. Can I just move the TPMS valve stems from the stock wheels over to these ones? Do new rims typically come with no valve stems?
I won't get into the stretching tire thing, as I don't do it and don't have personal experience. There should be plenty of info on the webs about it though.

Yes, our stock lug nuts are tapered. I don't think wheels usually come with valve stems, but if they can accept TPMS then reuse those so you don't have the annoying light on the dash. Otherwise, the tire shop will just put on a set and it shouldn't cost much.

Also, be sure to post pics of these once they're installed!
2point0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:14 PM   #567
empower-auto
Kouki-Monster

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
you should massacre those tires as quickly as possible.
The Following User Says Thank You to empower-auto For This Useful Post:
SkAsphalt (12-12-2012)
Old 12-12-2012, 02:49 PM   #568
Hanakuso

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by empower-auto View Post
you should massacre those tires as quickly as possible.
That's what i'm planning to do in the next couple months
Hanakuso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:12 PM   #569
fuddbutter
Potato Farmer

Drives: #SLOBRZ
staggerred front and rear

I am hopefully soon going to get some new wheels for daily driving (stock 17's for track days etc)

anyway, i was thinking of staggerred sizes front to rear, so 18's up front, 19's on the back.

I cant seem to find any info that will tell me that this is a bad idea for handling etc..?

My friend's NSX has this setup and it ok. but i think they came out from factory with this setup?

any idea's?
Old 12-12-2012, 04:14 PM   #570
ScionFR-S

Drives: Raven Scion FR-S
i feel like that would just throw off the whole balance of the car moving the center of gravity more to the front of the car and the weight distribution. just go with an 18 size tire up front with a 40 sidewall and the rear with a 35 or 30 depending on your preference... gives the illusion that its a bigger wheel in the rear
"To make it in America you need three things, a smile, a gun, and a plan. If you need to give up one thing, give up the smile. If you need to give something else up, lose the gun. But never, ever, give up your plan."

ScionFR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:50 PM   #571
SkAsphalt
Ridge Racerrrrrrrrr

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 2004 Toyota Coroll
Thanked 1,363 Times in 954 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Garage
Or he could get his 18 and 19 inch rims and get a shorter tire out back and and maintain a balance as well

car companies sell cars with staggered rim sizes. Fords, Vipers, I have seen it before (19 in front, 20's in back etc etc)

as long as he/she is willing to do the support mods to have it all balance up - he/she can achieve the look they desire without messing up balance

could be expensive tho
Old 12-12-2012, 04:51 PM   #572
Agnostik

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanakuso View Post
It's not that bad but it's definitely stretched. Not hellaflush stretched but it's the lowest recommended size for the OEM tires. Would look a lot better with a drop. I'll be going 225 once these are done. I can take a side profile picture if you want.

That looks not bad. Could you take a picture closer of the tires from the side and from as close to front (tread, I dunno if that is actually front or side lol)?

Its handy since yours is a whiteout as well lol. I was looking at the black one, but the silver looks not bad for the RPF01 on the whiteout.
Agnostik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:57 PM   #573
fuddbutter
Potato Farmer

Drives: #SLOBRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkAsphalt View Post
as long as he/she is willing to do the support mods to have it all balance up - he/she can achieve the look they desire without messing up balance

could be expensive tho

What kind of support mods?

I do plan on installing coil overs in the new year. wheels will be after that i would think.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:01 PM   #574
Leonardo
Country Boy 4 Life

Drives: 19' & 06' Ridgelines, 13' FR-S
Thanked 5,291 Times in 2,720 Posts
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
I ran 19's front and 20's rear on my 1999 Acura RL. No problems.
Leonardo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fitment, flush, offset, rays volk te37's, rims, rotas, size, spacers, width