follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 06-20-2012, 08:07 PM   #43
Zgrinch

Drives: 2013 Limited DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaruwrxfan View Post
Lol +1 to you for having the patience to wait till after break-in! It's a lot of fun to take it to redline!

I still like it, but the new car "buzz" has worn off for me, so I can be more objective in my analysis of the car now. I'll hang on to it for a little and see if the exhaust/intake/headers/retune make the car better for me. It just sucks, I love everything about this car except that engine, definitely the weak point for me.
You know, all things are relative. You are somewhat disappointed after driving your turbo legacy, but I'm handing down my camry hybrid to my daughter as her first car, (don't give me $hit, i needed a economical DD, as I travel a lot for work), so for me, this super handling, quick, manual BRZ is a blast. Hell if I were to compare it it to my car prior to the Camry, GMC Denali (short bed version) this thing is slow as molasses. But again all things are relative, and I'm having a blast now.

BRZGrincherhood
Zgrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:55 PM   #44
uspspro

Drives: DGM BRZ, MR-S 3.5L V6 swap (sold)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
If you get all the bolt-ons they can stay on the car if you ever go SC. Other than the tune, but you may be able to get a SC-tuned flashed if the MAF has enough range (or has a map sensor add-on)
uspspro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:08 PM   #45
Subaruwrxfan

Drives: 2015 Mustang EcoBoost
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zgrinch View Post
You know, all things are relative. You are somewhat disappointed after driving your turbo legacy, but I'm handing down my camry hybrid to my daughter as her first car, (don't give me $hit, i needed a economical DD, as I travel a lot for work), so for me, this super handling, quick, manual BRZ is a blast. Hell if I were to compare it it to my car prior to the Camry, GMC Denali (short bed version) this thing is slow as molasses. But again all things are relative, and I'm having a blast now.
Lol yeah if I just came out of a Camry hybrid I'm sure the BRZ would feel like a Ferrari to me too.
Lol sorry I had to. You're right, it is relative. This car just hasn't justified that it's worth a new car payment every month quite yet. Especially when my paid-off legacy turbo puts a smile on my face more often than the BRZ does. But I'm trying to remain optimistic.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:59 AM   #46
Max Schnell

Drives: Lexus GS350 F-sport
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Its actually normal to mentally adapt and start to lose the initial charm. True even if you have a faster/more expensive car. It works the other way too. I drive my slower car for awhile and then get into the faster one I go holy crap! Then a week later I am looking for mods to make it even faster because it no longer feel so awesome...
Max Schnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:28 AM   #47
YoshiMike13

Drives: None yet :(
Quote:
Thanks man, glad you're enjoying the videos. You'll have yours soon too. Part of the reason I'm posting all of these videos is to give those that don't own one a chance to kinda experience the car through my videos. Many more videos coming including a POV video to literally put you guys in the drivers seat.
Well, being almost 17 and still no permit, idk how soon it will be before I get one, but when I do, people better watch out. Well not really I wouldn't wanna ruin a car like that.

Yeah a POV video would be friggen awesome! I'll suscribe to your page.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:38 AM   #48
bimmerboy

Drives: 2009 135i
Quote:
Lol yeah if I just came out of a Camry hybrid I'm sure the BRZ would feel like a Ferrari to me too.
Lol sorry I had to. You're right, it is relative. This car just hasn't justified that it's worth a new car payment every month quite yet. Especially when my paid-off legacy turbo puts a smile on my face more often than the BRZ does. But I'm trying to remain optimistic.
Seeing as you are coming from a turbo legacy which has ample mid-range torque, I must ask how you are driving your BRZ? In order to really have fun with this type of car, quite frankly, you have to drive it like you stole it. This requires redline shifting etc, which I know is not practical in daily driving situations, but really does make this car fun when you do so.
bimmerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:37 AM   #49
Subaruwrxfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboy View Post
Seeing as you are coming from a turbo legacy which has ample mid-range torque, I must ask how you are driving your BRZ? In order to really have fun with this type of car, quite frankly, you have to drive it like you stole it. This requires redline shifting etc, which I know is not practical in daily driving situations, but really does make this car fun when you do so.
Yeah, just kinda hard to be constantly redlining the car, and was a bit of a nuisance trying to pass people on the highway today, stuff like that. I've decided I'm definitely supercharging this thing as soon as a decent kit comes out.
baldolera (06-23-2012)
Old 06-23-2012, 01:55 AM   #50
Subaruwrxfan

The car is almost at 2,000 miles. Slowly learning how to drive this car to maximize the power. Stay between 2k-3.5k otherwise kick it up past 5k. That dead zone in the middle is ruthless. I'm so used to sitting in that middle area of the tach in the Legacy, so it's just something I gotta train my brain not to do in the BRZ.

Went to a car show tonight, the car got lots of attention. It still surprises me after 2 weeks of owning it. Took a pic of the "competition" I was parked next to, hehe.

Old 06-23-2012, 02:31 PM   #51
Max Schnell

Quote:
Yeah, just kinda hard to be constantly redlining the car, and was a bit of a nuisance trying to pass people on the highway today, stuff like that. I've decided I'm definitely supercharging this thing as soon as a decent kit comes out.
Redlining the car is part of the fun of driving a less powerful car. I redline 1st and 2nd pretty often driving the E36 M3 around. At the minimum I shift the first three gears near 5k plus to drop it back into 3k range to keep the engine in a sweeter spot.

Speaking of passing people on the highway being a nuisance is it because you have to down shift to do these type of passing?
Old 06-24-2012, 09:48 AM   #52
Subaruwrxfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Schnell View Post
Redlining the car is part of the fun of driving a less powerful car. I redline 1st and 2nd pretty often driving the E36 M3 around. At the minimum I shift the first three gears near 5k plus to drop it back into 3k range to keep the engine in a sweeter spot.

Speaking of passing people on the highway being a nuisance is it because you have to down shift to do these type of passing?
No, I don't mind downshifting to pass, even though I'm not used to it. It's more that at 80 mph, there's not much you can do to build speed. No matter what gear your in, you're waiting forever to gain speed. The Legacy I have pulls hard all the way up to it's 135 mph limiter.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:51 PM   #53
Max Schnell

Quote:
No, I don't mind downshifting to pass, even though I'm not used to it. It's more that at 80 mph, there's not much you can do to build speed. No matter what gear your in, you're waiting forever to gain speed. The Legacy I have pulls hard all the way up to it's 135 mph limiter.
Ah I see. That's interesting to note. Did you try in 4th or 5th gear?
Old 06-25-2012, 01:41 PM   #54
Subaruwrxfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Schnell View Post
Ah I see. That's interesting to note. Did you try in 4th or 5th gear?
I did, even in fourth I was disappointed.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:40 PM   #55
jcs

Drives: 2002 BMW 325ci 5MT
Quote:
Thanks so much for posting this. I don't have to wait anymore... I'm getting something else. We'll see in 2-3 years from now.
jcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:52 PM   #56
Subaruwrxfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcs View Post
Thanks so much for posting this. I don't have to wait anymore... I'm getting something else. We'll see in 2-3 years from now.
I'm still optimistic. Once I get a full header and exhaust on the car along with an intake, I should be picking up at least 30 whp and once tunes are proven safe and reliable, I'll do one of those too. At that point I should be putting down about the same whp as my Legacy, but with the BRZ weighing over 500 lbs less. Hoping that gives me what I'm looking for. If I'm still not satisfied, I'm probably heading over to a 2013 Shelby GT500 or a Nissan GT-R instead and forgetting the idea of a small coupe.