follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 04-21-2013, 02:15 AM   #183
DSOmegaX

Drives: '19 M2 Comp, '20 GR Supra
Thanked 2,153 Times in 986 Posts
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B L U E S L A T E View Post
Just mounted the Rydeen Duo to the trunk and am waiting for David to reply to my email regarding the 16-pin connector. Hope I get the wire by next Friday so I can install the harness next weekend.

BTW, how was everyone able to aim the camera to face straight back? I tried several attempts to get the lens to face straight backwards, but just not to confident about it. I might have to fiddle it again once everything is installed...
You mean to get it from off-center? or just to align the lines to make sure they actually make sense? What I did was park in an open spot and positioned the car itself to make sure its centered between the lines. Then I went into the hidden menu and fine tuned the parking lines to match with the physical ones. I can show you if you're coming out to the Tuesday meet again

2019 BMW M2 Competition | LBB | ///M Performance Build Thread
2020 Toyota GR Supra | Turbulence | TRD | Build Thread
DSOmegaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:28 AM   #184
B L U E S L A T E

Drives: BMW E84
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSOmegaX View Post
You mean to get it from off-center? or just to align the lines to make sure they actually make sense? What I did was park in an open spot and positioned the car itself to make sure its centered between the lines. Then I went into the hidden menu and fine tuned the parking lines to match with the physical ones. I can show you if you're coming out to the Tuesday meet again
Sweet. I'll definitely look for your WRB BRZ next time I go.
B L U E S L A T E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:41 PM   #185
mit_peid
Boosted Noob

Drives: '13 FRS MT KW SC, '05 4Runner 4WD
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I understand this thread was created for the fancy-pants BRZ owners but I have an FRS with an aftermarket Pioneer X8500BHS head unit that has a backup camera input. I really like the look of install... looks more OEM than any I've seen on the FRS/BRZ. I want to install the Rydeen Duo, but wanted to see if I wanted it offset (non-centered) as well. Also wanted to confirm I don't need the SVXdc adapter everybody is talking about. I believe I just need to tap into the reverse gear signal and provide it ACC and ground. I'm already sending a tap of the stereo ACC for remote turn on for the amp. (long story the remote turn signal from the Pioneer HU goes to a microbypass and the power-antenna lead and doesn't appear to be enough current to also turn on my aftermarket amp). Anyway I should be able to use that ACC to power this Rydeen unit too. I see that it is being sold at Al&Ed's for $99 with free shipping. What does it include? I'm assuming the camera, some installation bolts, the video wire, power wire, and ground wire?
Old 04-25-2013, 04:56 PM   #186
michaelahess

Drives: '13 GBS BRZ Lim, 2006 Dodge RAM MC
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mit_peid View Post
I understand this thread was created for the fancy-pants BRZ owners but I have an FRS with an aftermarket Pioneer X8500BHS head unit that has a backup camera input. I really like the look of install... looks more OEM than any I've seen on the FRS/BRZ. I want to install the Rydeen Duo, but wanted to see if I wanted it offset (non-centered) as well. Also wanted to confirm I don't need the SVXdc adapter everybody is talking about. I believe I just need to tap into the reverse gear signal and provide it ACC and ground. I'm already sending a tap of the stereo ACC for remote turn on for the amp. (long story the remote turn signal from the Pioneer HU goes to a microbypass and the power-antenna lead and doesn't appear to be enough current to also turn on my aftermarket amp). Anyway I should be able to use that ACC to power this Rydeen unit too. I see that it is being sold at Al&Ed's for $99 with free shipping. What does it include? I'm assuming the camera, some installation bolts, the video wire, power wire, and ground wire?
My walkthrough covers it all. Not sure of the adapter on your radio, probably not the same harness. So it wouldn't work anyway, you'll have to splice that all together yourself I imagine. Nothing else needed, just blood sweat and tears.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:13 AM   #187
kaitak98

Drives: '13 GBS BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
A quick question for those who have done these installs. Are the lines on the stock head unit accurate to the width of the car? I have a very tight parking space I have to back into and would rely on the lines to do it. If they aren't accurate are they wider or narrower than the BRZ?

Thanks
kaitak98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:06 AM   #188
mit_peid
Boosted Noob

Drives: '13 FRS MT KW SC, '05 4Runner 4WD
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitak98 View Post
A quick question for those who have done these installs. Are the lines on the stock head unit accurate to the width of the car? I have a very tight parking space I have to back into and would rely on the lines to do it. If they aren't accurate are they wider or narrower than the BRZ?

Thanks
I have the Rydeen Duo installed on a FRS at the same off-center location as the BRZ with a Pioneer AVH-X8500BHS head unit. I would not trust the sidelines, but the distance lines should be good reference lines. Since it is a very wide angle lens used on the Duo (and for most backup cams), items on the far left & right are a lot closer than they appear on the video. I would still continue to use your side mirrors to judge whether or you'd clear an object.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:43 PM   #189
kaitak98

Drives: '13 GBS BRZ
Thx mit-

Do you think the inaccurate sidelines might be a function of the aftermarket head unit?

I'm curious if the stock BRZ unit has the same issues. I live in a converted 1950s office building and the parking spaces are tight with pillars on each side. I've had Forester loaners from the dealer and the camera helped a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mit_peid View Post
I have the Rydeen Duo installed on a FRS at the same off-center location as the BRZ with a Pioneer AVH-X8500BHS head unit. I would not trust the sidelines, but the distance lines should be good reference lines. Since it is a very wide angle lens used on the Duo (and for most backup cams), items on the far left & right are a lot closer than they appear on the video. I would still continue to use your side mirrors to judge whether or you'd clear an object.
kaitak98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:37 PM   #190
Doborder
Godzilla Konvert

Drives: DMG BRZ Limited 6MT 2013
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
I just did this to the car. Took my time... about 2 hours with interruptions watching the kids. Easy due to all the excellent instructions on this forum. My only hiccup was the ground wire from SVXdc's harness is not quite long enough. I had to add about 6 inches of wire and was good. Otherwise plug and play.
The Following User Says Thank You to Doborder For This Useful Post:
tripjammer (05-28-2013)
Old 05-11-2013, 08:51 PM   #191
kludger

Drives: '13 Boxter S, '13 BRZ(gone)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doborder View Post
I just did this to the car. Took my time... about 2 hours with interruptions watching the kids. Easy due to all the excellent instructions on this forum. My only hiccup was the ground wire from SVXdc's harness is not quite long enough. I had to add about 6 inches of wire and was good. Otherwise plug and play.
BTW I thought the same thing to the ground inside the dash, but I was able to screw the ground wire to one of the phillips head screws on the side of the HU itself and it is working well.

Thanks again for all the DIY and info contributors and SVXdc.
kludger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:59 PM   #192
deange

Drives: Black 2013 BRZ Limited Automatic
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Did the backup camera with a Rydeen Duo and the Beatsonic connector. I used the grey power wire for the factory amp in the trunk for the camera power and grounded it to one of the studs mounting the amp in the trunk. It works great. Didn't have to extend any wires, or do much but route them, and plug things in. Have to say thank you to the guys who did this initially. Great little mod. I might open it up later to see if I can mirror an android phone on the stock head unit as well.
deange is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to deange For This Useful Post:
tripjammer (05-28-2013)
Old 06-08-2013, 01:00 PM   #193
TeamSweet86

Drives: Subaru BRZ
So I have David's connector... What do you do with the original 16 pin connector? Just leave it disconnected?
TeamSweet86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:20 PM   #194
Rinzler

Drives: BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I have a question: With the Rydeen Duo installed, and plugged in using the harness provided by David, it works if I shift into reverse directly after starting the car, but if I wait until the headunit loads stuff, it doesn't ever seem to detect being in reverse, and doesn't go back to the camera. Oddly enough, if I get it to detect the camera at the start, it will remain detected the rest of the ride. Any thoughts on how to fix this?

Edit: Going to try tapping something other than the reverse line for power. I think the camera isn't getting power so the headunit can't detect it in time.
Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:31 PM   #195
sparks

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzler View Post
I have a question: With the Rydeen Duo installed, and plugged in using the harness provided by David, it works if I shift into reverse directly after starting the car, but if I wait until the headunit loads stuff, it doesn't ever seem to detect being in reverse, and doesn't go back to the camera. Oddly enough, if I get it to detect the camera at the start, it will remain detected the rest of the ride. Any thoughts on how to fix this?

Edit: Going to try tapping something other than the reverse line for power. I think the camera isn't getting power so the headunit can't detect it in time.
Camera has to be powered on when the HU starts. Most of us keep the camera on all the time.
2013 BRZ Preimum #452 - Sterling Silver
sparks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sparks For This Useful Post:
Rinzler (06-24-2013)
Old 06-25-2013, 06:42 AM   #196
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Drives: '19 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Thanked 1,062 Times in 738 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzler View Post

Tap into pin 7 of the 16 pin harness on the HU. David sells the pin connected to a wire if you need it. It produces 6 volts so make sure your camera can take that.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
Foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Foobar For This Useful Post:
Rinzler (06-28-2013)